GNK Dinamo Zagreb - On The Hunt For European Glory

Klippybo

Premium
Reaction score
1582461429279.png

GNK Dinamo Zagreb - On The Hunt For European Glory

Right. Finally, here is my new story. I will be manager of Dinamo - the most successful side in Croatian football since the Croatian league started in 1991. Why Dinamo? They have some decent young players but having recently lost Dani Olmo they are actually weaker than when FM20 came out. However I feel with the history of their youth development I can build an all conquering Croatian side that can dominate European football - but it will be difficult.

On the subject of their youth academy here are just some of their graduates - Robert Prosinecki, Zvonimir Boban, Luka Modric, Dejan Lovren, Niko Kranjcar, Mateo Kovacic and Vedran Corluka - not too shabby!!!

I haven't managed in Croatia before and apart from knowing a few of their teams I don't know a great deal about the domestic landscape of things which makes it interesting.

I will be managing as Niko Kranjcar. He started his career at Dinamo before moving to their great rivals Hajduk Split and then forging his career in England with Portsmouth, Spurs and QPR. He won tons of caps for Croatia and recently retired as a player. His father - Zlatko Kranjcar - was a successful player with the club and also managed them a few times so can the son outdo his father?

So please follow and comment as I take on this journey.

--

1582461540639.png

GNK Dinamo Zagreb

Founded
- 1911 as HSK Gradanski & 1945 as FD Dinamo
Ground - Stadion Maksimir
Capacity - 35,123

Honours

Croatian Football League System

Croatian First League (20 - record)
- 1992-93, 1995-96, 1996-97, 1997-98, 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2002-03, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2017-18, 2018-19

Croatian Cup (15 - record) - 1993-94, 1995-96, 1996-97, 1997-98, 2000-01, 2001-02, 2003-04, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2017-18

Croatian Super Cup (6 - record) - 2002, 2003, 2006, 2010, 2013, 2019

Independent State of Croatia League (1) - 1943

Banate of Croatia League (1) - 1939-40

Yugoslav Football League System

Yugoslav First League (9)
- 1923, 1926, 1928, 1936-37, 1939-40, 1947-48, 1953-54, 1957-58, 1981-82

Yugoslav Cup (8) - 1938, 1951, 1959-60, 1962-63, 1964-65, 1968-69, 1979-80, 1982-83

Inter-Cities Fairs Cup (1)
- 1966-67

Balkans Cup (1) - 1976-77

Attachments

• 1582461400878.png
    1582461400878.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 108
1582469458168.png

Nice bus lol

PRE-SEASON

Going to say it right now - I have a good feeling about this save. Some saves you just know you wont like but some just seem to fit right. Might regret saying this!

Anywho - on taking over Dinamo I discovered a few things. Firstly my reserve side play in the 2nd division which is a huge boost as my youngsters will get good competitive football. So now I have a new save target and that is for my reserve side to win the league regularly. Also the 5th biggest club - Lokomotiva Zagreb is our feeder club and I can buy any of their players for their market value (which I have used already lol) and due to it being a long term deal it cant be terminated!!!

Anywho coming into the save I knew of some quality players that I had such as Ivanusec, Livakovic, Moro, Majer and Orsic amongst others but on arrival I found that the depth of the squad wasn't quite up to standard. I had a starting budget of £6m so I couldnt go nuts.

The board want me to continue our domestic domination and also reach the group stages of the Champions League this season which could be tricky depending on the draw as we start off in the 2nd qualifying round.

So without further ado let me show you my transfer dealings so far.

--

PLAYERS OUT

OUT.png

Ademi was the club captain and a decent player but as a DMC he was never going to fit into my plans so I was happy to take £8m for the Macedonian. Marko Dirja is a decent prospect too but again is a DMC so I loaned him out to Lokomotiva Zagreb.

I didn't fancy Mario Gavranovic so sold him while Danijel Zagorac was my 32y/o backup keeper so I cashed in on them. Carlos Olmo I presume is Dani Olmo's brother and is a terrible player.

Kadzior is a Polish right winger but I loaned him out and will hopefully sell him on.

--

PLAYERS IN

in.png

Well its safe to say that I may have ruined Osijek's season!!! I stole their striker, Mirko Maric, their right winger (also a natural LWB) Petar Bockaj and their CM, Pilj to strengthen my squad. The deal for Maric broke the Croatian transfer record but he will start the season as my backup striker. Pilj will be a backup CM but Bockaj will start as my AMR although he has competition.
maric.png

bockaj.png

pilj.png

Rijeka don't like me either as I signed 2 of their brightest prospects. I wanted a new left back and signed 18y/o Smolcic. He will start as my left back but he better kick on as he is one of 2 young players that I am putting my faith into by starting them over more experienced colleagues. He came in for £1m while Pandur is my new backup keeper and was signed for £550,000.
smolcic.png

pandur.png

I took advantage of the linkup with Lokomotiva Zagreb to bring in Marko Tolic to be my backup AMC. To grab him for just £1m is decent and I hope he will progress. There was a better AMC in Croatia but Hajduk Split wanted over £15m for him so that was a no go.
tolic.png

Finally I brought in 2 bargains. Kim Hyun-Woo was 1 of 2 South Korean players already on loan at Dinamo and I paid the paltry fee to bring him in permanently and hopefully he will do well and even the shirt sales could be worth it. Kebbeh is a decent looking midfield player.
khw.png

kebbeh.png

--

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

I am happy with my first XI. Domestically it should be more than enough to triumph over our domestic rivals but on the continent it will be different. Livakovic will be my keeper and is great, I am content with my RB, taking a risk on my LB and one of my CBs and have to decide on my best pairing tbh.

In midfield I am delighted. Moro and Ivanusec at CM, Bockaj on RW, Orsic on LW and Majer at AMC - 5 quality young players who can become great players. Up front I have 2 decent strikers but need a backup.

Along with a 3rd choice striker I feel I need another backup CM and once he is signed I will just monitor the market. As you can see from my signings that I have preferred to sign Croatian players which is a deliberate ploy as I always like to have players from the nation that I am managing in and I dont want to fill my squad with foreigners.

I should say that I have tons and tons of players out on loan - too many to check really. However a really top prospect in goal is on loan to Chievo and they have the option to sign him for a bargain £1m which I hope doesnt happen.

Anyway here are my best players - Livakovic, Moro, Ivanusec, Majer, Orsic and Petkovic

livakovic.png

moro.png

ivanusec.png

majer.png

petkovic.png

1582488341143.png

JULY

Croatian Super Cup
rijeka.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Stojanovic, Theophile-Catherine (Peric), Gvardiol, Smolcic (Moubandje), Burton*, Pilj (Maric), Bockaj, Tolic, Olsic, Petkovic

We were weakened here as Majer, Ivanusec and Moro all still on holiday! Robbie Burton (signed in real life from Arsenal a few days ago) came into the side which had 17y/o Gvardiol and 18y/o Smolcic in defence and was the star man which makes me think I may not need to sign another CM before the transfer window closes.

I have to say though - Rijeka are the 3rd best team in Croatia and we tore them apart here with us having 38 shots to their 8 and that was us without our 2 CMs and AMC. In fact when Pilj wenr off injured I replaced him with Maric who is a striker and played a 4-1-3-2 formation.

Oh and I suppose I have to say - this win in my first game in charge gives me my first trophy!

--

osijek.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Stojanovic (Theophile-Catherine), Dilaver, Gvardiol, Smolcic, Moro, Ivanusec, Bockaj, Majer (Tolic), Orsic, Maric (Rantie)

Not good enough. We were poor here and despite getting off to a great start with Moro's strike from the edge of the area we struggled throughout. They scored a great equaliser and that was that. I would say Osijek are the 4th best team in Croatia so a draw away from home isn't awful but it is disappointing. What shocked me more was the fact that Osijek had 60% possession - I have never been out possessed with this formation before in such a way.

--

UEFA Champions League 2nd Qualifying Round 1st Leg
sheriff.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Theophile-Catherine (Peric), Dilaver, Gvardiol, Smolcic (Tolic), Gojak*, Ivanusec, Bockaj, Majer, Orsic, Maric

Not sure about this one. Their away goal definitely dents the scoreline but having said that we dominated throughout. I played a 3-2-4-1 formation when Theophile-Catherine went off injured in the first half. We battered them throughout but didn't get a comfortable winning margin.

--

istra.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Dilaver, Peric, Gvardiol, Smolcic (Moubandje), Gojak, Ivanusec (Burton), Bockaj, Tolic, Orsic*, Petkovic

My first league win. It was comfortable although we were helped as we were gifted a penalty and an own goal.

--

UEFA Champions League 2nd Qualifying Round 2nd Leg
tiraspol.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Dilaver (Moharrami), Peric, Gvardiol, Smolcic, Gojak, Ivanusec, Bockaj (Hajrovic), Majer, Orsic*, Petkovic (Maric)

Very nice. I don't know why I didn't highlight Mislav Orsic in my previous post but he has been the star of the show so far. He got a tremendous hat-trick here with 2 of his goals coming from outside the area. Peric and Ivanusec got the other goals to complete the scoreline.

--

SUMMARY

Our start to the season has gone quite well as we picked up the Croatian Super Cup, progressed in the Champions League however in the league we dropped 2pts on the opening day against Osijek. Mislav Orsic has a tremendous start to the season as he has scored 5 goals but with injuries and fitness concerns I havent really been able to get a true sense of my favourite eleven yet.

Now - I seriously ****** up!!! I said that our link with Lokomotiva Zagreb meant I could sign any of their players so long as I met their transfer value. I was wrong! I can sign any of their players for free!!!!! That means I gave them £1m for Tolic for no reason. I will just put that down as a payment for any future dealings and speaking of that...….

I nicked their keeper lol. Ivo Grbic happily joined us and will be my backup keeper, relegating Pandur to the 2nd team. He is valued at £1.6m so that £1m that I paid for Toli has already paid its worth lol.
grbic.png

I also signed a new striker to be my 3rd choice in that position. Tokelo Rantie, the former Bournemouth striker, joined us from Sundowns on a free transfer. He should be ok at the domestic level for us.
rantie.png

Going into August I may look to sign a CM but other than that unless I can find anyone outstanding I may just keep my money.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MISLAV ORSIC
orsic.png

--

FIRST LEAGUE

july.png

Attachments

• 2-0.png
    2-0.png
    167.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 2-0.png
    2-0.png
    167.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20.png
    20.png
    151.1 KB · Views: 163
  • sheriff.png
    sheriff.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 89
Thats some weird deal with Lokomotiva mind isnt it! Be good if they develop some good prospects too! As always will definately follow!

1582578793361.png

AUGUST

SB.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Dilaver, Peric, Gvardiol*, Smolcic, Gojak (Burton), Ivanusec, Bockaj, Majer, Orsic (Marin), Petkovic (Maric)

A comfortable win. 17y/o Josko Gvardiol was immense here and he has really impressed me so far. Slaven Belupo actually had a player that I knew about - former Barcelona winger Jeffren.

--

UEFA Champions League 3rd Qualifying Round 1st Leg
brat.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Dilaver, Peric, Gvardiol, Smolcic, Gojak (Burton), Ivanusec, Bockaj, Majer, Orsic, Petkovic*

This should be enough to see us through. Gojak scored a tremendous 4th with a long range strike but Petkovic was in the line of sight of the keeper and it was disallowed.

Josko Gvardiol - he has started 7 games this season and the 17y/o has 2 goals, 3 assists and 6 bookings!!!! He is suspended for our next league and Champions League game.

--

lz.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Stojanovic*, Peric, Dilaver, Moubandje (Leovac), Moro, Ivanusec, Bockaj, Majer, Orsic (Tolic), Petkovic (Maric)

So much for me weakening Lokomotiva Zagreb! My feeder side stifled us here and ground out a point and what made it worse was their scorer is on loan from ourselves!!!!!! Funnily enough so is the player that got sent-off so at least he has his priorities right lol.

Orsic got injured and will be out for 3 weeks which is a big blow - especially since his backup - Marin - is also out injured.

--

UEFA Champions League Qualifying 3rd Round 2nd Leg
lava.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Stojanovic, Peric, Dilaver*, Smolcic, Moro (Burton), Ivanusec, Bockaj, Majer, Hajrovic (Tolic), Petkovic (Maric)

We qualify for the next round and only Slavia Prague now stand between ourselves and the Champions League group stage.

--

varaz.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Stojanovic*, Dilaver, Gvardiol, Smolcic, Moro, Ivanusec, Bockaj (Gojac), Tolic, Hajrovic (Julardzija), Petkovic

With injuries and the B team playing I was missing several players here but we still got the win. You have 12 subs in the league in Croatia so may look to fill out my squad a bit. Bockaj got injured here and will be out for about a month.

--

UEFA Champions League Playoff 1st Leg
slavia.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Stojanovic, Dilaver, Gvardiol, Smolcic, Moro, Ivanusec*, Hajrovic (Julardzija), Majer, Tolic (Gojak), Petkovic

We were minutes away from getting a huge win and my keeper gifted them a goal as he was robbed of the ball 30 yards out. My players are out on their feet at the moment with the games coming every 3 days or so.

--

gorica.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Stojanovic (Moharrami), Peric, Gvardiol, Moubandje, Moro*, Ivanusec, Hajrovic, Majer, Tolic, Maric (Rantie)

An easy win although I am ****** off with us conceding 2 late goals. Moro scored 2 blockbusters from outside the area.

--

UEFA Champions League Playoff 2nd Leg
prague.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Stojanovic, Dilaver, Gvardiol*, Smolcic (Moubandje), Moro (Gojak), Ivanusec, Hajrovic, Majer, Tolic, Petkovic (Maric)

We reach the Champions League group stages!!!! It was a tight match but we got the winner late on when Maric netted his 2nd goal for us. Qualifying for the group stage gives us a £13m cash boost for a start.

--

SUMMARY

August was one tough month as we had games every 3 days and with my players (mainly my wingers) getting injuries due to no small part the amount of fixtures that we had. However we emerged at the end of the month unbeaten, top of the league and most crucially qualified for the Champions League group stage.

In the group stage we actually have a small chance of going through incredibly as PSG, Shakhtar Donetsk and Genk will be our opponents. Avoiding bottom spot will be the aim though.

More on my feeder side Lokomotiva Zagreb who got a draw with us. We actually have players in my B team who are on loan from them so why not just sign them? Also Ivanusec was signed from them for £2.4m so why not just get him for free lol?

Anywho deadline day is on the 1st of September and I really need to strengthen the squad as I had promised some players. I could just go to Lokomotiva Zagreb and nick a few players but I want them to have a decent team still. We shall see.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
PETAR STOJANOVIC
STOJANOVIC.png

--

FIRST LEAGUE
aug.png

1582658414836.png

TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY

Now I have a game on deadline day but I am done transfer wise so I thought I would do a one off post.

There was only one departure as 31y/o left back Leovac left to join Panathinaikos for just £190,000 but his contract was due to expire and he wasn't in my plans so off he went.

Now for the incomings!!!!

Tbh one is an exciting signing for the future while the other 2 are just squad fillers although I did arrange a transfer for the future.

My exciting signing is Marko Bulat from Sibenik who joined for just £800,000. The 17y/o CM is a great prospect and I had him in FM19 with Aberdeen and rejected huge offers for him so I have high hopes for him here.
bulat.png

Next up I paid £300,000 for another striker to fill up the squad a bit as with 12 subs I needed some extra players as the B team seem to play on the same day so in came Dario Vizinger. I dont expect him to pull up any trees but at the very least he could help my B team or Lokomotiva Zagreb in the future.
vizinger.png

Finally I brought in an attacking midfielder to provide cover so Fabian Benko came in on a cheap loan deal.
benko.png

So that's that. I promoted Robbie Burton to the first team squad and I am happy with how things look. If I can just get my players back fit......​

1582659521682.png

SEPTEMBER

rijeka.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Stojanovic*, Dilaver, Gvardiol, Smolcic, Moro, Gojak (Bulat), Benko, Tolic, Orsic (Marin) (Burton), Petkovic

Rijeka are surprisingly bottom of the league and we defeated them here although it was a close game. Benko assisted the goal on his debut while Bulat also made his bow for us here. Orsic came back and scored and then I took him off for Marin who also returned from injury and he then went off injured soon after!!

--

hajduk.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Moharrami, Dilaver, Gvardiol*, Smolcic, Moro (Bulat), Ivanusec, Benko, Majer, Orsic (Gojak), Petkovic (Maric)

This is the biggest game in the Croatian football calendar and it is known as the "Eternal Derby" and we came out on top in an eventful match. We took the lead through Dilaver and in truth it was a dull game until the hour mark. That was the point that Benko gave away a penalty and got a 2nd yellow to be sent-off but fortunately they missed the penalty. We then got a 2nd through Gvardiol and they pulled one back late on but Gvardiol netted a 2nd in stoppage time to go down in folklore no doubt.

--

UEFA Champions League Group C
genk.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Stojanovic, Dilaver, Peric, Moubandje, Moro*, Ivanusec, Bockaj (Benko), Tolic, Orsic (Marin), Petkovic (Maric)

We kick-off the group stage with a fantastic away victory although we were very lucky in truth and it took a wonder goal and another long range strike from Moro to win it for us. The £2.3m for the victory will come in handy too - huge money for Croatian football considering the transfer record is £4.4m.

--

iz.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Stojanovic, Dilaver, Gvardiol, Smolcic, Moro, Gojak (Bulat), Bockaj (Burton), Majer, Orsic (Marin), Petkovic*

A great win and our 5th on the spin in the league. I didn't mean to put Burton on and only realised he was on when he scored lol. Gvardiol got yet another goal - his 5th of the season already!

--

Croatian Cup 1st Round
cup.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Stojanovic, Dilaver, Peric, Moubandje, Bulat (Burton), Ivanusec*, Bockaj (Hajrovic), Tolic, Marin, Maric (Rantie)

We were up against non-league opponents here (only top 2 divisions are available in Croatia) and we cruised it with a slightly weakened team.

--

osijek.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Moharrami, Dilaver, Gvardiol, Moubandje, Moro (Gojak), Ivanusec (Burton), Bockaj, Majer (Tolic), Orsic, Petkovic

Osijek are our closest challengers and we move 5pts clear with this win here. Petkovic scored his 5th penalty of the season and we got a fortunate own goal.

--

SUMMARY

We won every game this month so I am naturally delighted and I am unbeaten as manager although PSG are coming just around the corner lol. We have a 5pt lead in the league as we are threatening to run away with it and we progressed in the cup also. I was delighted with our win over Genk in the Champions League as I was wondering what level we are at. I still don't know if we will qualify from the group but I would love to at least finish 3rd and drop into the Europa League.

Josko Gvardiol - legend in the making!!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
JOSKO GVARDIOL
GVARDIOL.png

--

FIRST LEAGUE
SEPT.png

1582753622222.png

Drazen Ladic
1984-2000
Goalkeeper
802 apps, 1 goal

The record appearance holder for Dinamo, Ladic is the club record holder for appearances and won 6 league titles and 4 cups at the club. Currently assistant manager with the Croatian national team, he won 59 caps (and 2 for Yugoslavia) and was part of the squad that finished 3rd in the World Cup in 1998.

He was named as the goalkeeper in the vote to be in DInamo's greatest ever XI.

--

OCTOBER

PSG.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Stojanovic, Dilaver, Gvardiol, Smolcic (Moubandje), Moro, Gojak, Bockaj (Hajrovic), Majer, Orsic (Marin), Petkovic

Heartbreaking. It was surprisingly a very even match and we almost won it in truth but our finishing was off and they scored 2 late, late goals to win the game. I praised my players for their performance as they were magnificent but they hated it and reacted negatively. My first defeat as manager.

--

istra.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Moharrami (Theophile-Catherine), Dilaver, Peric, Smolcic (Moubandje), Moro*, Ivanusec, Bockaj, Tolic, Orsic (Marin), Maric

We bounce back in fine style. I dont know if it is after the update or if it is because it is the Croatian league but my god Moro scores long range strikes regulary. He got a hat-trick here in 20min to reach 6 for the season and apart from the penalty here all have been from outside of the area.

--

lz.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Moharrami, Dilaver, Peric, Smolcic, Moro (Bulat), Gojak (Burton), Bockaj (Hajrovic), Majer, Orsic, Petkovic*

I get one over on my feeder side here who were the last team in Croatia to take something off us. We have scored a penalty in each of our last 4 league games!

--

SHAKHTAR.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Stojanovic, Dilaver, Gvardiol, Smolcic, Moro, Gojak (Bulat*), Bockaj (Hajrovic), Majer, Orsic (Marin), Petkovic

A momentous victory as we defeat Shakhtar and earn another £2.3m lol. They had more than double our shots but we kept them out and in the 2nd half Petkovic headed home to put us ahead and then Bulat came off the bench to fire in a 2nd from the edge of the area. We are now 2nd place 1pt behind PSG.

--

belupo.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Moharrami, Dilaver, Peric, Smolcic, Bulat (Burton), Gojak (Pilj), Bockaj, Benko, Orsic (Marin), Maric*

Another league game, another league win and another penalty scored - 5 games in a row now that we have scored a penalty in the league. We had a weakened side out here but still won.

--

Croatian Cup 2nd Round
ZADAR.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Moharrami, Dilaver, Peric, Moubandje, Bulat, Gojak (Pilj), Hajrovic*, Benko, Marin, Maric (Vizinger)

We were fortunate enough to get another non-league side and we swotted them aside easily enough.

--

SUMMARY

Another excellent month. We extended our lead in the league and progressed in the domestic cup while in the Champions League we put in a spirited performance in our defeat against PSG but then bounced back with a great 2-0 win over Shakhtar Donetsk so things are looking good there.

Off the pitch the board have been magnificent and have agreed to enlarge our stadium and improve our youth and training facilities.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
EMIR DILAVER
DILAVER.png

--

FIRST LEAGUE
OCT.png

Attachments

• 1582744095065.png
    1582744095065.png
    198.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 1582744095939.png
    1582744095939.png
    198.9 KB · Views: 73
  • belupo.png
    belupo.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 1582753604035.png
    1582753604035.png
    185.4 KB · Views: 79
Flying in your 1st season and it looks like 2nd in the CL groups could be a possibility! I noticed as well after the update, One of my main midfielders who NEVER scores has all of a sudden started scoring regularly and they have all been from at least 20 yards out!

I played the next month and won my other CL games to qualify and scored at least 4 in all of my other games - far too easy.

Wanting a decent save that is a challenge and have been flitting in and out of stories what I hate to do so I am going to go my trusty Bilbao - guaranteed long term save there

I played the next month and won my other CL games to qualify and scored at least 4 in all of my other games - far too easy.

Wanting a decent save that is a challenge and have been flitting in and out of stories what I hate to do so I am going to go my trusty Bilbao - guaranteed long term save there

Maybe instead of trying 80% tone it done to 69%?