papamogl

Reaction score
Hello everybody

This is a crossposting from the sigames forum, hope you don't mind.

Introduction (skip this if you're not interested in boring talk about style and philosophy. Read if you have nothing better to do)

By now you probably already know about my preferred style of play, but if not let me briefly explain some of it's features.

I'm always looking for a high-paced game centered around short and easy passes. While I like Barca's passing scope, I think that their slow build-up play is not the ultimate in aesthetic playing. I want my team to keep the short passing approach, but infuel it with a more direct, more energetical way towards the opponents goal. So in a way you could say it is a mixture between J?rgen Klopp's and Lucien Favre's philosophy of direct attacking, and Barcelona's tiki-taka. I'm of the believe that possession isn't helpful per se (at least not if you're not after a 0-0, which I'm clearly not :)). Possession is helpful in dangerous areas, and that's where we want to go immediately once we have the ball.
In the defensive phase it's the other way round: we want the ball out of dangerous areas (the penalty box and the space in front of it), and regain possession as quickly as possible. To press as a whole team is the key factor here. There should be two players immediately pressing the one with the ball, while the other players should block the nearest passing options.
Taken together this makes up for what I think is beautiful football.

Some results
(here comes the music. Look at this if you're at least moderately interested in this tactic)

I'm a bit of a slow player, so I haven't loads of results to share. But present results have been so encouraging that I decided to release the tactic. And I'll keep you updated regularly on my progress.

My striker is scoring a lot

The formation (the picture tells a lot, but some additional info is provided too)

The formation is a 5-2-3/5-4-1 with very attacking fullbacks providing the width (they are jointly leading the charts with most assists in my save) and two inside forwards putting on pressure on the opponents defense. The DC in the middle is a retreated DM really. He is a stopper instructed to press heavily, so he's happy to step out of the d-line to attack the ball carrier and preventing long shots if the attack comes through the middle. When it comes from the flank, the extra man in the defense means that the DCL/DCR can step closer to the wingback, supporting him and tighten up the defense there.

What players do you need?
(now that's important. Look here if you want to know whether your squad can play this tactic)

Gk: We're playing a high d-line, so look out for a sweeper keeper.
DCL/DCR: these are two standard DCs. They need to be pacey if possible because of the high d-line. For the offside trap to work they need good mental stats.
DC center: he's a stopper, told to step out of the d-line and put pressure on the opponents. He needs to be able to pass, as he will be supporting your midfield duo when in possession. Players who can play DC and DM are good here. Hummels is the perfect man for the job.
WBs: they are attacking, so look for energetic players who can run up and down all the time. Lichtsteiner would be a good example.
MCr: he's a ball winning midfielder who should be able to play simple passes fast. Nothing fancy here.
MCl: your deep lying playmaker. Needs creativity as he will spray passes, create chances etc. Should be able to defend as well.
AMl/AMr: these are pretty staight inside forwards.
ST: a deep lying forward. You might be tempted to play any striker here, but reay make the effort to find a player suited to the role. I bought Axel Witsel (a midfielder) who has the right stats for the role and retrained him. And he is incredible in this position. So, again: look out for a deep lying forward specifically.

Generally your players should have good technical stats (passing, first touch) to be able to play the high tempo required. Off the ball and positioning are important too.

Finally, the tactic download

I hope you enjoy, and don't only get good results but a pleasing style of football as well. Please report back how it is working for you.

Last edited:
This is a crossposting from the sigames forum, hope you don't mind.
Looks good. I would - unless the tactic actually cheats on the match engine, exploiting its flaws - avoid using the title you have gone for.

Also, does this mean that the tactic is not yours ?

Would love to see ss of the games from whole season if you have it and how this tactic behaves in CL against good teams.

It doesn't exploit the ME deliberately, and it has nothing to do with cheating. It's just how I want my team to play. Somehow it works really welll with this ME. So maybe I'll better change the title.

Also, does this mean that the tactic is not yours ?

Yes it is my tactic, I just posted the same at the sigames forum as well and thought it was fair to let you know.

Here some more pictures. Season stats are coming.

Last edited:
It doesn't exploit the ME deliberately, and it has nothing to do with cheating. It's just how I want my team to play. Somehow it works really welll with this ME. So maybe I'll better change the title.

Yes it is my tactic, I just posted the same at the sigames forum as well and thought it was fair to let you know.
Great ! Perhaps change that in your title then ?

I come up with ridicolous line ups and creative formations daily. How I never though of using such a lineup is beyond me. Great job!!

The site you used for the SS are to small for me to see, how was ur results against Bayern first season and how did you do in the UCL?

Sorry for that. I won 3-1 (Super Cup), 4-0, and lost 1-3 against Bayern. Dropped out the CL after the group phase against Chelsea.

Sorry for that. I won 3-1 (Super Cup), 4-0, and lost 1-3 against Bayern. Dropped out the CL after the group phase against Chelsea.
No worries and how did your Inside Forward do for goals and assists and the same for the 2 CMS and WBS

Sorry I can't really tell you because I can't find last seasons stats of individual players. And I constantly kept rotating the players. So if I told you for example Kevin Grosskreutz's stats it wouldn't say anything about the positions. He played on wingback, inside forward and both CM positions...

I used to but stopped doing it since it led to a lot of cards. Without OI's it's better, and I didn't notice any impact on the overall performance.

As for training: I let my assistant handle it. For match preparation I use defensive positioning most often, or defending set pieces. Sometimes teamwork, attacking movement, and attacking set pieces too. I do this just as I see fit, didn't do any testing on it. So I can't say that's the best way to do it.

Has anybody some results to share yet? How's it going for you guys?

Has anybody some results to share yet? How's it going for you guys?
Im going to play it with Schalke cause formation is interesting and will give an overview.

My advice how to improve topic is:
- put in the first post result of other players;
- also you dont mention how to train team and player (ind training, PPMs)
- team talking
- what attrs are more important to each position

Tried this out briefly with Borussia Dortmund, made a couple of signings (Santon for RWB, Salvio, and 2 cheap CBs for depth). This was in FMC because it takes ages to get it fully fluid in the regular version. Anyway, plays really good football, I found that the passing and link up play between the IFs and the DLF was a joy to watch - all of them scored and assisted. Great goals, and the defense was quite stable whenever I played fast center backs, but when I played both Subotic and Hummels at the same time, I tended to concede a goal or two.

Another thing worth mentioning is that this tactic doesn't use the corner exploit, although you can expect a reasonable amount of goals from corners. Results wise, I beat Bayern 1-0 in the Super Cup(or whatever you call it) We were the better team(55% possession against Pep :p) but we only won from a corner. Was quite solid in the Bundesliga, picked up 5 wins in 6, the other one being an unlucky 1-2 loss away against Borussia Moenchengladbach.

So, this plays great football, and something key here is to have high teamwork in your front 3(13+) and you'll get some nice results hopefully.

Started a save with Atletico in regular FM, playing Diego Costa up top with Villa and Alexandru Maxim(bought) on the flanks, Koke and Camacho in midfield, will see how this goes. Only played friendlies so far, and had a very interesting friendly against Rayo Mahajo-something which we won 8-0. The reason I'm calling this interesting is that my WB Davide Santon got a hattrick, my other WB Matt Lowton and my BWM got a brace, and a CB scored one off a corner too. :p Thankfully, one of the attacking players scored in the end, Diego Costa smashing in a delightful volley from the edge of the box. (Don't worry, the forwards are usually the ones who score :p)