Goal line technology by 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it is too expensive, but you cant say that the quality of football and the officials are as good in the Blue Square Premier as they are in the Prem anyway. Which is one arguement FIFA have used is that they want football to be the same in a park as it is at Old Trafford. It isnt anyway, and games at Old Trafford etc. are more important for a lot of reasons.
So United get it because they're a good team? Is that what you're saying, forgive me if you're not, but I'm trying to understand what you said:D:S

Technology is finally coming in. Good
We have to wait until 2014. Bad
I want it in now, too many teams are being screwed over due to dodgy decisions, it needs sorted

all these people going on about fair play at the world cup. a goal going over the line and not being given? doesnt strike me as fair. this is something we need, and should get, sooner the better.

So United get it because they're a good team?

Well United get Old Trafford because they are a good team and football sure as heck aint the same in Trafford and at your local park.

So United get it because they're a good team? Is that what you're saying, forgive me if you're not, but I'm trying to understand what you said:D:S

Haha, United were an example, what I mean is a Champions League semi-final or FA Cup or whatever, are more important than you having a kick about with your mates.

it will come it at the top levels first and filter down as far as it can be taken. and it doesnt necessaily have to chips in the ball

Kala: So you wouldn't mind if the game was stopped every couple of minutes because players want to see if a player is offside?
Yes, I agree that goal line technology is needed but it shouldn't be taken too far.

it will come it at the top levels first and filter down as far as it can be taken. and it doesnt necessaily have to chips in the ball

Yea, it is just that the chips in the ball are an easier thing than having big screens and things. And you know the ball has crossed the line straight away. Whether there is an arguement or not. Either way some sort of technology is needed.

Yea, it is just that the chips in the ball are an easier thing than having big screens and things. And you know the ball has crossed the line straight away. Whether there is an arguement or not. Either way some sort of technology is needed.
agreed. which ever way its done, the technology is more than due

Out of interest, how much would it cost if they had they had to use a system similar to hawkeye?

Kala: So you wouldn't mind if the game was stopped every couple of minutes because players want to see if a player is offside?

I doubt it would be implemented like hawk-eye ie. players can opt when to ask for it and when not to. Also you only get so many hawk-eye's anyway and it wouldn't take 2mins everytime etc. etc.
Hyypiä's blog suggestion that referee could ask for a video review when he wants one would keep them to a couple per match most and I really honest to god dont have any problems with even 5 minutes to get a fair judgement on something that alters the game in a big way.
Agree on the part that it shouldn't be taken too far but as FIFA is really really icky with the whole idea I'm sure it would take about 20 more years to get anything else than goal cameras :)

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 AM ----------

"Hawkeye costs about $1 million per week per court."

put it this way everytime a goal is scored there's like a 2 minute lull while the players run off into histrionics. Why not use that 2 minutes to good use and check everything is kosher?

it doesnt even take that long, the chip technology from Cairos Goal Line Technology gives you an answer in less than a second

Well, to add what is being said already:
there's many instances where a questionable decision (or, a proven wrong decision) eliminated teams from various competitions, there's a lot of money to be lost for a club when it misses out on a Champions League spot, for example, and careers can be wrecked by things like the Henry goal against Ireland.

So yeah, I fully support some fallback solution.
Goal line technology sounds like a good solution as it is fast and precise, and with the speed replays can be conjured up these days, other applications of a review are certainly viable.

When FIFA says it should be played the same at grass-roots level as it is played in the highest tiers, they're only making a convenient excuse against change.

And, for other possible game-changing moments like a questionable off-side or a penalty decision, why not implement something akin to the "challenge flag" used in American Football?
Basically, every coach gets one or two challenges per game to be used at any time so a decision can go to the video ref to determine the validity of the on-field decision. That wouldn't take longer the babble on the field either and would ensure that game-changing moments are based on a correct call.

On a side note:
I vote for a change in rules that says: a dive in the penalty box is an automatic red card. The punishment for a caught should be equal to the reward for not getting caught.

I think goal line technology is a good thing but that it should end there. If you do more that that then where do you stop.

Just watching the Womens u20 World Cup from Germany and France scored exactly the same goal that Lampard should have scored in the World Cup and it was missed by the ref and the linesman. If France dont score again then they will miss out on the 1/4 finals. The replay clearly showed the ball crossed the line.

All that needs to happen with this technology is that the ref asks 4th official to check the replay of potential goal it would take a minute max which would be added on at the end of the half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back