Goalball

Kris

Reaction score
Well I heard about this game today, It is being played at the girlfriends sister's highschool.

A few parents are not happy because it is a sport for the blink or visually impaired. I think it looks good fun and is rather interesting to watch

Goalball

Goalball is a team sport designed for blind athletes. It was devised by Hanz Lorenzen (Austria), and Sepp Reindle (Germany), in 1946 in an effort to help in the rehabilitation of visually impaired World War II veterans[1]. The International Blind Sports Federation (IBSA), responsible for fifteen sports for the blind and partially sighted in total, is the governing body for this sport.
The sport evolved into a competitive game over the next few decades and was a demonstration event at the 1976 Summer Paralympics in Montreal[1]. The sport's first world championship was held in Austria in 1978 and goalball became a full part of the Paralympics from the 1980 Summer Paralympics in Arnhem onwards[1].
Participants compete in teams of three, and try to throw a ball that has bells embedded in it into the opponents' goal[2]. They must use the sound of the bell to judge the position and movement of the ball. Games consist of two 10 minute halves[2]. Blindfolds allow partially sighted players to compete on an equal footing with blind players[2].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goalball

Epic Goalball

YouTube- ‪Goalball USA vs Japan‬‎

Had anyone else heard of this? I would love to give it a go.

I wondered how you got a GF, knew she had to be some how visualy impared.

When my Dad and Uncle were younger there was a blind school near them. I remember them saying they used to play something similar with the blind kids :) Looks real difficult though

When my Dad and Uncle were younger there was a blind school near them. I remember them saying they used to play something similar with the blind kids :) Looks real difficult though

The greater sense of hearing will be what they use, it looks very tactical too.

No disrespect to the blind kids (I have one blind eye myself) but honestly, where is the tactics?
You toss the ball towards the goal and hope for the best. In defense you just throw yourself on the ground and stretch.

I expected to see atleast just a little bit movement and passing.

I play this at a disabled sports day at my school. Actually really difficult

A great sport must take alot of skill make you appreciate the fact you have sight really.

p.s. You have a GF Kris?? Thai bride?

Yeah doing stuff like that would be a lot harder than it looks, at football practice we try to take penalties blindfolded so you get used to putting it in the same spot every time without looking so the keeper cant read your eyes or anything, always take about 10 tries before even getting close, quite a few instances of lads missing the ball completely.