Goalkeeper is the most important player

ninjapug

Reaction score
Goalkeeper is the most important player ever. That's how i feel.
Once my first choice goalkeeper got injured, luckily for a week and without a backup keeper, i used a a young regen from the reserve squad.
Sitting at the top of the table, i lost 5-0 to liverpool and dropped points as my gk can't even save a simple shot.

I agree somewhat, it's a hugely important position. Your argument, however, is terrible. You used a regen against Liverpool? No wonder he performed horribly. First game as senior and he's up against Torres and Gerrard. He must have been ******* himself with anxiety. How can you have expected anything else?

I will not go so far as to say that the GK is the most important player in a team, as goals wins games, and you need to score them to win them. That said, when I start a new game with Arsenal, the only "expensive" player I indulge myself in, is Rene Adler, as the GK is the one weak point in Arsenal, and he saved some crucial games for me without fail.
As for askep's comments: you are spot on. To try and win a game (or to even draw it) with a regen GK is ludicrous.

I have a very strong team and was unbeaten in the league in 30 games until Rene Adler got injured luckily for 8 days.
What i am trying to imply is that, you can lose any player in your squad and substitute with a young regen and still win the game. But losing a goalkeeper is costly.

goalkeepers are the most important players on the field IMO, (i am a gk though so i am a tad biased) :p

Naturally, loosing a great keeper is costly, as he is the last line of defense.
If anyone else is having a bad day or simply out of his league, there's always someone behind to pick up the slack, but if it gets past the keeper, it's a goal.

I wouldn't say he is THE most important player on the pitch, as even a top-class keeper can't do anything if the rest of the team sucks, but I will say it is the position that is most in need of a strong backup.

I normally buy adler for my arsenal saves and just keep terrible Almunia as a backup.

I also usually buy Adler. He's one of the greatest keepers in the game. My prefered backup keeper, is Federico Vilar. That's the best last line i have ever had.

Adler - fantastic goalkeeper.British goalkeepers have not really shone that much in recent years :S

British goalkeepers have not really shone that much in recent years :S
Last good one was David Seaman. He was excellent, though. Can never watch this one too many times... One of the best saves of all time in my book.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whHyHXnLCIw"]YouTube- David Seaman - Magnificent Save[/ame]

Last edited:
David Seaman was great. But not as good as Peter Schmeichel was. I know he's not british, but Schmeichel is still the greatest, ever.

But you're right, askep, that's a fantastic save. I've watched it 10 times, but I'm still not tired of it ;)

Schmeichel was the best gk in the world as well as Khan!
watch this, i sometimes watch this before my games to get me pumped up... :p
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHolIsV0ZGg&feature=fvst"]YouTube- Guillermo Ochoa Worlds Best Goalkeeper NEW CompilationHD[/ame]