Going to burn in ****

mightyred75

Reaction score
I am going to **** for saying this but so frustrated..........FM 2009 is the worst football game in the series and most unrealistic. Please hear me out before you try a burn me like a witch in Salem. Firstly I have been an avid fan of FM ever since a played it on my Amiga. Secondly my major bugbear is the match A.I. There are too many games where you dominate and still lose. Please see below :-

Liverpool 0 Stoke 0
Shots 21 3
Target 11 0

Portsmouth 1 Liverpool 1
Shots 5 18
Target 1 9

Liverpool 0 WBA 1
Shots 24 1
Target 12 1

I mean come on, its not like I have a bad team, play 4411 (Thebetter half tactics) with Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Zapata, Bale, Veloso, Alonso, Guardola, Srna, Gerrard and Torres. Opposition GKs become amazing and the results above are just a handful as it constantly happens. Plus to beat the top 3 teams is nearly impossible achievement. At home you have a chance, away from home you might as well concede. Frustrated yes....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

In all games AI is CHEATING !!!
Trust me I know very well. A relative of mine works for a game company and he told me that in ALL games AI is CHEATING more or less.

I have the same problem in FM.
My goalkeeper takes goals pretty easy while the opposite team goalkeeper(with lower attributes in most cases) jumps like a monkey and saves impossible balls almost each match.

Anyway goalkeepers are too important in FM 2009. I hope they'll solve this problem FM 2010.

err get over it, fm09 is a decent game, if your tactic is ****, or your players arn't scoring, don't blame the game, if other people can win the treble with liverpool in the first season, then im sure there's nothing wrong with the game...so your players arn't puting the ball away, thats probally because liverpool really only have ONE good striker. you can dominate a game in real life and still lose or draw because you play too attacking and leave yourself vunerable, and people like scott carson in real life may have a fantastic game whilst petr cech doesnt, and im sure there stats are very different. just play the game, or put it away.

I didn't enjoy FM 09 at first. I think for the casual player it can be off putting, and when i first started playing it I was being pretty casual and just couldn't get into it like I used to with previous versions.

However, now that I have fully got into it and played it seriously, I think it's one of the best ones yet. I love it.

any network fans here

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

leeum how do i post a link to my network thread

don't post links to it. threads are made for certain topics, and plus its pretty much spamming

Man,

if you dont have patience dont play the game tbh. in previous FM's i could win the league with a promoted team thats how unrealistic the game was back then..fm 09 how ever is pretty challenging and it needs to be treated like your an actual manager irl. Its a tactical game and need to be watched all the times! you cant just go to the toilet when in a game it needs to be watched AT all times and you will need to be switching between tactics to brake your opponents, half-time team talks are KEY aswell when your leading 1-0 at half time and you mess up your team talk your players could lose focus and end up losing..

the game is awesome!.

Liverpool 0 Stoke 0
Shots 21 3
Target 11 0

Portsmouth 1 Liverpool 1
Shots 5 18
Target 1 9

Liverpool 0 WBA 1
Shots 24 1
Target 12 1
]

Sounds like you're just creating a lot of easy to save shots on target. Get the ball wider and cross it in for tap-ins. Also consider being a little less aggressive with the tactics - if you don't score when your team is attacking, then the team does lose focus on its defensive duties and you get stung on the break. Work the openings against 'park-the-bus' teams, don't always try to force them.

Depends what you mean by cheat. Sometimes they'll make up for weak AI by not making the CPU have Fog Of War, some take this as to be cheating so remove fog of war for themselves, others accept it to make up for the lack of AI intellegence. Plus most difficulty levels don't increase the AI's intellegence, its always maxed, it increases the abilities of what it can use.

So what does this mean in FM?
Well firstly games are a lot of rolls of the dice, all you can do it maximise your chance, but still you might be unlucky, and with so many factors (weather/form/morale/teamtalks/pitch/tactics/playerabilties ect ect ect) things can change from game to game. You could probably play the same match over and over without changing anything and get different results due to luck of the roll. If you want to believe the AI stacks the odds in its favour thats up to you.

How many of those shots were Clear Cut Chances? How many were long shots? Quality vs Quantity of chances and who has that clear cut chance (ST form/morale/ability vs GK form/morale/ability).

FM is definately not a game you can pick up and play well instantly, yes you can just by buying players you read are good then stick them in a formation you read is good which prevents buying bad players or using a **** tactic, but that doesn't make them the right combination of players for that tactic. Nevermind all the other factors, tbh i'm suprised there's not a "Family" mode like other games have that remove a lot of the complex stuff so younger or casual players can enjoy it.

err get over it, fm09 is a decent game, if your tactic is ****, or your players arn't scoring, don't blame the game, if other people can win the treble with liverpool in the first season, then im sure there's nothing wrong with the game...so your players arn't puting the ball away, thats probally because liverpool really only have ONE good striker. you can dominate a game in real life and still lose or draw because you play too attacking and leave yourself vunerable, and people like scott carson in real life may have a fantastic game whilst petr cech doesnt, and im sure there stats are very different. just play the game, or put it away.

Well to be honest I have to agree with what he is saying about the goalkeepers, it isn't always the fault of the person who chooses the tactics as it is for that reason that he is dominating (The main problem he has with losing is the fact that he doesn't deserve it). I mean in reality it is bound to happen every so often, but not nearly as much as it does on this game. Keepers need to be sorted by FM10.

i don't think manager games is for you................ maybe you should stick to games like FIFA 09 or the PRO EVO games but if you want to get good at the game and understand how it works i suggest you read the TT&F documents

not bein mean but it does kinda point out the managerial ability if you are misssin that many shots............

Well to be honest I have to agree with what he is saying about the goalkeepers, it isn't always the fault of the person who chooses the tactics as it is for that reason that he is dominating (The main problem he has with losing is the fact that he doesn't deserve it). I mean in reality it is bound to happen every so often, but not nearly as much as it does on this game. Keepers need to be sorted by FM10.

In all honesty, it isn't the keepers. It's the shots your team are taking which are making them look that good and giving them high ratings by boosting up their stats. Creating real goal scoring chances is the only way round this - and to do that, generally, you need to create width to pull the defence out of its position in front of the goal. Of course, on occasions, a goalkeeper will have a blinder - this will be shown in the ingame text via the commentary, just as with every other position on the pitch.

The problem with downloading tactics is that they are never going to be 100% bullet proof, and if you don't know how to make the minute tweaks and adjustments needed on a game by game (and even an ingame) basis then you're going to have a lot of problems somewhere down the line. I've tried to create 'solid' sets of generic tactics which will give decent performances for the vast majority of teams in the English leagues. Without fine-tuning, they're never going to get Bognor Regis to the Premier League though. And without knowing why the tactic isn't working, then the player is left trying to find other reasons for what is going wrong. Which is easy enough as so many things in the game are exceptionally poorly documented and even long time players can find new things which they hadn't realised within the game. But the fundamental remains an ability to look at your tactics and realise why they aren't working and then figuring a way out to fix it.

Sometimes that isn't possible purely because you don't have the players (eg I often know that a short passing game will rip my opposition to shreds, sadly my players aren't able to play a short passing game without gifting the ball away in dangerous areas - should I play it knowing that I risk conceding 3 quick goals but could equally score 3 quick goals and then switch to a safer option?).

Going back to the OP, how many of those shots were from 20 yards+ out? I'd wager that they make up the vast majority as Liverpool are a top team and other lesser teams will be parking the bus against them. I've not downloads the tactics in the OP, but I'd also wager that they are very aggressive in an attacking sense meaning that Liverpool's players are getting frustrated and pushing forward more and more and eventually getting done on the counter or from a set piece. How many clear cut chances are actually being produced? And are they really that good? Sometimes a team will miss two or three sitters. In which case, you look at your personnel or your man management style to see if you can make things better. Usually you can via man management.

I really should put the pipe down. :)

i don't think manager games is for you................ maybe you should stick to games like FIFA 09 or the PRO EVO games but if you want to get good at the game and understand how it works i suggest you read the TT&F documents

Please don't taint me with the FIFA brush, I am not retarded. Let me just say I haven't just picked up this game played it once and said it rubbish. I have played nearly every incarnation of Champ Manager (obviously changed to FM when split with Eidos) and this one seems a little by unrealistic. Let me say another example. Made my own tactics(read the TT&F), used and tweaked them in start of season friendlies (beat Juventus away 6-1, beat Inter away 3-0, beat A C Milan away 4-0) instructed team to take it easy. First game comes around away to Hull - yeah you guessed dry toweled 4-0, next game home against Portsmouth slightly better results 4-1 loss after that went on an amazing string of results which consisted of 2 wins, 2 draws, 5 losses. If the tactic doesn't work why wasn't it highlighted in the friendlies.

Don't get me wrong FM series is an incredible series and I will always stump up money for the new incarnations. I must admit though I have gone back playing FM 2008, just wondering is there anywhere I can get a patch that will update player databade (before anyone says it..........I know the new patch is called FM 2009)

I notice that you hammered the Italian sides with it. It might be that the tactic you chose was brilliant at taking advantage of the 'weaknesses' in 'southern hemisphere' football but when put up against a 'northern hemisphere' team, it got torn to shreds (tempo, pressing/closing down, length of passing (direct?) can annihilate Italian and Spanish teams but the same tactic against a feisty Hull or Portsmouth will get you beaten). If you watch the matches, how did you create the goals against the Italians?

Team cohesion seems to play a much bigger role in 'competitive' matches too so you've got that handicap to contend with on top of the limited respect a manager gets from players when he doesn't have sufficient reputation for the club he's at.

Was the tactic you designed very attacking in nature? If you're playing Liverpool, for a match against Hull or Portsmouth, I'd suggest tweaking it into a control variant as described by TT&F.

The tactical aspect of 09 is a tough one. I think the last FM I bought before this was 06 so it was a bit of a jump for me and took me some time to figure out what was going on. It's worth it though.

I'm Liverpool currently and get no where near as many shots, but I score more than you have. I have Long Shot rarely for EVERY player just because I don't want them wasting the ball, especially when the opponent keeper is looking solid, then I need to give him no chance to save the shot. If the keeper is playing awful but we arn't getting as many chances because the opponent is playing deep then i'll up Long Shots to test him more often. The Creative Freedom I give my attacking players means they will still have long shots if they feel its the best option even if set to Rarely.

Most of my Passing Styles are various levels of Mixed. The higher the opponent players the more effective Direct Through Balls are, so the defensive players play more on the direct side of Mixed and the advanced attackers on the shorter side of Mixed. Plus I get my AML+AMR onto the shoulders of the LB+RB for them to be played through.

If the opponent plays a deep line then I need my best attacking players to play the final ball not my defenders so the defenders go to the short side of Mixed to keep ball whilst my attackers go to the direct side. Now I need my AML+AMR to drop deeper to look to get the ball, then run/pass with it or to just pull the LB/RB out of position before a through ball is played.

You also need to check how your shots are happening, rather than needing to train harder at Shooting+Composure (Finishing training) it might be you player need better Heading+FirstTouch (Ball Control training) so the chance is taken/improved before he is closed down.

I'm still tweaking my tactic though, advantage is my squad is now nearly gelled so they play much better as a unit with less simple passes going stay.

well i think your games are not really that unrealistic i.e shots taken and shots on target ratio, i mean your playing 1 forward up front which means most your shots are coming from your midfield, if you saw one of the pundets on sky sports a while back he pointed out that goalkeepers are rarely beaten from shots outside the 18 yard box unless theres a deflection etc, most of the time goals are scored from crosses and breakaways 1-1s etc, now you change your tactic to a 4-4-2 with 2 wide wingers an amc and a dmc buy yourself a targetman and play torres off him use your targetman in your tactics, tell reina to find him off goalkicks, and aim for the head, i guarentee you will start winning more games, have a defender challenging the keeper on corners, as i get tonnes of goals by doing that the game is not as unrealistic as some people say it is, its just not as easy as previous versions.

I was top of league with liverpool after 24 games, its not to hard, I lost my first 4 games to, but then my new signings started to settle and my team were getting more used to the tactic and it was all liverpool from there

i agree with you completely mightyred, and i'm a blue :p aswel as the goalkeeping issues, do you have problems conceding goals that just wouldn't happen realistically i.e your places just stand and watch while erik nevland runs rings around gerrard + mascherano..? the only cure to these problems i find, is manage some team you've never heard of (a 2nd division south korean team or similar :p) so you can't argue "asif that would happen!" because you wouldn't know if he was the next messi or not (and in the korean leagues, i'm sure that's highly possible XD) i think that's what i'm going to give a go, and if the cheating persists then i don't know what to do.. find a corner and break down into tears or something. good luck anywaay mate