fuelledbypassion

Complete Legend
Reaction score
'Golazo'

[video=youtube;kHXfHFNlJ_w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHXfHFNlJ_w[/video]

'Golazo' is the famous Italian phrase coined by Italian legend Jose Altafini, which he translated as a 'beautiful goal'. It is a phrase that I believe describes this tactic perfectly. Defensively, the tactic leaves a lot to be desired - particularly away from home. But as an attacking threat, this tactic provides beautiful goals aplenty. It centres around two midfield playmakers that dominate possession and a midfield anchorman that recycles the ball, often pegging the opposition in their own half for extended periods of pressure.

I've only tested at the high end with Borussia Dortmund, but with the right players in each position and a competent use of managerial shouts, this tactic should work for the majority of sides, at least in home matches. I am very wary of using it in away games against tougher opposition as the defence can be stretched very easily by more intelligent players.

Formation & Player Roles

The formation is an attacking 4-3-3 utilising wingbacks and advanced wide players. The team is expected to roam and express themselves in possession, but work hard, press and tackle strongly when the ball is lost. All players are expected to contribute in every phase of play, so intelligence is a must. With zonal marking all over the pitch, everyone has to be willing to defend and cover their teammates.

View attachment 299323

[I have selected the five priority attributes, red=technical, blue=mental & green=physical]

Sweeper 'Keeper (support) - reflexes, positioning, concentration, decisions & agility
--
Ball Playing Defender (cover) - marking, positioning, concentration, decisions & anticipation
Ball Playing Defender (cover) - marking, positioning, concentration, decisions & anticipation
Wing Back (support) - marking, tackling, decisions, acceleration & stamina
Wing Back (attack) - marking, tackling, crossing, acceleration & stamina
--
Anchorman (defend) - marking, tackling, anticipation, positioning &work rate
Deep Lying Playmaker (defend) - passing, technique, tackling, decisions & positioning
Advanced Playmaker (support) - passing, first touch, technique, creativity & decisions
--
Inside Forward (attack) - dribbling, finishing, off the ball, acceleration & pace
* Deep Lying Forward (support) - first touch, passing, finishing, decisions & off the ball
Inside Forward (attack) - dribbling, finishing, off the ball, acceleration & pace

* Note - I use this role to suit Lewandowski (who has the ppm to come deep for the ball often), but it also works with an advanced forward or poacher, with reasonable success. Do not use a target man.

As you can see, mental attributes are vital for this tactic to work. Team work and work rate is important for all players.

Results

I have only tested this tactic with Borussia Dortmund and found it to be a lot more effective in home matches. It can also be used against weaker oppostion in away fixtures, but against stronger teams I would suggest a more conservative approach. I have had some success by changing the team setting to 'counter' and using touchline shouts to expose opposition weaknesses.

Dortmund:

View attachment 299349View attachment 299350View attachment 299351View attachment 299352
View attachment 299353View attachment 299354View attachment 299355View attachment 299356

Other Info:

Pitch Size: I have had success with both, but a larger pitch will create more gaps in the opposing defence that your attackers will exploit.

Opposition Instructions: none

Match Preperation: I generally have it set on defensive positioning, but will often change to attacking movement if my are playing at home against a weaker team.

Touchline Shouts: I frequently use shouts, but mainly in an attempt to expose opposition weaknesses. I have found 'hitting early crosses' to be very effective and often ask my players to 'pass through opponents'. If my players are wastful with too many long shots then I use 'work ball into box'. I believe shouts to be very imortant in this year's FM, so make sure you watch extended highlights and react accordingly.

Team Talks: Advisable to look into Wolfsongs guide, it has helped me a great deal.

Patch: I have only tested this on the latest patch, 13.2.2

Link: FuelledByPassion's 'Golazo' 4-3-3 - Downloads - Football Manager 2013 Tactics, Wonderkids & Cheats

I hope some of you can try this tactic and find it useful, at least as a base to work from. Good luck and any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Just logged in to thank you because I have been looking for that intro for ages!!! so satisfied right now, flashed of the best part of my childhood came back. Seria A in the 90ies <3

Just logged in to thank you because I have been looking for that intro for ages!!! so satisfied right now, flashed of the best part of my childhood came back. Seria A in the 90ies <3

Me too! Fond memories of that show and Italian football in general. Goooaaaallllaaaazzzo!!!