Gold angry at Mourinho suggestion

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Birmingham chairman David Gold says Jose Mourinho's call for Premiership reserve teams to play in the Football League is "disrespectful."

More...

I reckon it would be a good idea. But there is the big problem of who is going to be pushed out of the league for these 'B' and maybe 'C' teams to come in.

I'm sure if there was enough support for this, and not just from Chelsea, Man Utd etc.., then the FA will come up with a good way to make it happen :)

Its a stupid idea as the financial gap between the Football League and the Premier is enormous as it is. So if all the big teams were to play their reserves in the football league (and I presume they wouldnt entertain the idea of playing below the Championship) you are looking at losing at least 5 teams from there. The knock-on effect would carry on down to the conference and inevitably some clubs would fold.
And of course the 'big boys' would be earning more money from TV revenue etc, and their reserve players would get more 'first team football' so smaller clubs would no longer be able to loan these players - putting even bigger pressure on the clubs who just cant afford to buy.
Pure greed if you ask me.

Don't forget that your probably looking at League Two at the highest so the TV revenue is hardly going to be huge. But yeh it will probably lead to some clubs going broke which is probably one of the reasons why this hasn't been brought in.

Considering the teams cant get promoted, and looking at Chelseas reserve squad - who would walk League 2, automic promotion would go to 2nd and 3rd place I suppose. Does that mean that no league champions trophy would be awarded?
I think its just too complicated and to be honest, If Mourinho and Wenger etc want their players to get experience with teams pushing for the top, make them to go out an recallable loans. I know I wouldnt mind Mikel, Kalou and Diarra at Molineux however briefly!

you're right Boozad, as is David Gold (for once) I think its a ****** stupid idea. He/they shouldnt buy so many players and then complain that he wants a higher standard of football. Sure it might work in France, or in Spain, but our system is fine aswell.

you're right Boozad, as is David Gold (for once) I think its a ****** stupid idea. He/they shouldnt buy so many players and then complain that he wants a higher standard of football. Sure it might work in France, or in Spain, but our system is fine aswell.

Its been a tried and tested system for over 100 years, and would have never even been questioned until someone turned up who could afford to buy 3 first teams.... You'rs right that they shouldnt buy so many players knowing full well that their first team opportunities are extremely limited at best.