Good bit of muscle

I3east

Reaction score
Hello, i am 15 years old and i am wanting to get a bit of muscle on me as i am a bit lanky (about 6ft and 11 stone in weight ) so i was thinking of setting myself a weekly plan, EG/ Monday - Dumbells, Tuesday - Press Up's etc... I was wondering what the best way to do this is? Thanks for any advice :)

PS. I have dumbells already :)

It all starts with nutrition.

If you want to gain muscle, not only do you need to work out, but you need to put on excess calories.

If you are serious about it, you should really look into whey protein mixes. Cookies and creme is always good with milk. 3 servings a day will give you about 1,000 calories and most if it is protein which really benefits muscle growth.

You also need to eat 2,000 calories on top of the whey protein.

Basically the calories give your body clay. Working out allows you to shape that clay.

I just finished a 6 pound container of protein. When I first started taking it I was eating a lot and doing a mix of weight and cardio workouts. I went from 170 pounds to almost 180 in a week. The last week or so I haven't eaten as much (no money sucks) and even though I took the protein, I dropped back to 173ish.

When I was 18 and played american football, I took nutrition supplements and protein and worked out everyday; I was a solid 185 nearly 190. I'm trying to get back to that.

It all starts with nutrition.

If you want to gain muscle, not only do you need to work out, but you need to put on excess calories.

If you are serious about it, you should really look into whey protein mixes. Cookies and creme is always good with milk. 3 servings a day will give you about 1,000 calories and most if it is protein which really benefits muscle growth.

You also need to eat 2,000 calories on top of the whey protein.

Basically the calories give your body clay. Working out allows you to shape that clay.

I just finished a 6 pound container of protein. When I first started taking it I was eating a lot and doing a mix of weight and cardio workouts. I went from 170 pounds to almost 180 in a week. The last week or so I haven't eaten as much (no money sucks) and even though I took the protein, I dropped back to 173ish.

When I was 18 and played american football, I took nutrition supplements and protein and worked out everyday; I was a solid 185 nearly 190. I'm trying to get back to that.
No, it all starts with beer. End of discussion.

I do upper body on mondays for 1 hour, legs on tuesdays, rest on wednesday upperbody thursday, legs friday, upperbody saturday, rest sunday (i'm a good christian ;))
This works for me but i only do it as i don't want to be pushed off the ball in football or easily dispossed in rugby, not to 'look hench'

Take steroids. Rinse and repeat. srsly don't though, don't want to be blamed for a teenager's untimely death again

Take steroids. Rinse and repeat. srsly don't though, don't want to be blamed for a teenager's untimely death again

Haha, im only 15 ! Want to do it naturally. Was thinking something like this ? Until i get a gym membership ?;

Monday - Run
Tuesday - Dumbells/press ups
Wednesday - Dumbells/sit ups
Thursday - Rest (Football training)
Friday - Dumbells/press ups/sit ups
Saturday - Dumbells
Sunday - Rest (Football)

**********. If you're afraid of going blind, go to the gym.

Haha, im only 15 ! Want to do it naturally. Was thinking something like this ? Until i get a gym membership ?;

Monday - Run
Saturday - Dumbells
Sunday - Rest (Football)

Having no rests is almost pointless. Muscle growth is caused by more tissue growing back than the amount that is damaged during training, this process ideally takes 24 hours. Playing football on your rest days isn't really resting either.

Drop activity on saturday and wednesday and swap tuesday and mondays activity imo.

**********. If you're afraid of going blind, go to the gym.

Relevant.

Seeing as I never could be bothered with getting on a 'good bit of muscle' (since my amazing personality and natural awesomeness generally attract people to me anyway) I can't really help you, but I imagine your schedule would work fine if you toned it down a bit. Don't know too much, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't push yourself that hard.

Meant rest on saturday to let my muscle grow :) sorry.

Monday - Run
Saturday - Dumbells
Sunday - Rest (Football)

1. Dumbells doesn't mean jack ****. You can do so many things with dumbells (curls, bench presses, incline presses, hammers, tricep extensions, one-armed bent over rows, military press etc etc) which can be any sort of muscle. It's a bit like saying exercise. What you need is this.

100 pushups training

Went into GNC today to pick up vitamins for my g/f and some more protein for me.

Guy at counter asks if the girls vitamins were for me...

My muscles are genetic, so I don't have to train to maintain them. I love my mommy. :wub:

Push-ups on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for an hour or two. That's it. Eat and drink a **** load of protein also. No need for steroids or ****** gym sessions.

I've got an incredibly strong metabolism, my whole family does.

I have to put on a lot of calories to maintain weight, let alone gain weight.

My g/f hates me for it.

I've got an incredibly strong metabolism, my whole family does.

I have to put on a lot of calories to maintain weight, let alone gain weight.

My g/f hates me for it.

I got my dad's metabolism, which is funny high, and my mum's lungs, which have an additional 50% capacity. Born to run, baby!

15 is way too early imo

do sports regularly instead: football, rugby, basketball, boxing whatever you like

then at 18-19 you can think of putting some muscles. Pushups will be your best friend then!

Beast, it all depends on your needs/ideals for the extra muscle and what you'll do with it.
Are you sporty? If so, what sport/s? I see football is already one.
Is it to make you feel better, more comfortable, aesthetics, even build up to bulking for weights lifting or body building?

Montanaro's first point is bang on.
If you can't fuel the growth, you're gonna have issues.
Protein is your biggest friend for building muscle. Calories helpenergise your exercises. Aim not to be short on either, and don't get too excessive with either as it'll just be waste or turned to excess fat.

Jake is smack on as well.
To build muscle you're actually micro tearign muscle.
Resting is very improtant regardless of age.
Resting is when the body repairs itsself to the newer levels you're asking of it, and no, just nightly sleep doesn't count as
resting being ticked off.
When starting your training, be aware of the muscle groups you'll be working and let them rest the following day. Legs one day, upper body the next, LIGHT aerobic exercise... and so on. Have a complete rest day the day after your heaviest loading (most likely your sunday football)

Being 15, your best bet is actually playing and training often.
High Performance kids training here in Aus plan out that it's best to train and play often (4 trainings, 2 games per week) until adulthood, push explosive and agility based weight training until 27, then maintain levels through to cessation of elite sporting carreer. And we produce kids across all ranges of sports, it's the following education we struggle on, hence in football those who head overseas end up better and in the Socceroos.

If you can find another training sesion (or two) to get in on a social saturday game, do it.
A training could be just you and your mates doing your own sesh for half an hour. Just get the ball at your feet as often as possible.
Build on technique and all the building blocks of football. In three years start hitting up the weights, but recognise the style of fitness and exercise that's suited to your sport and adapt or you can easily end up negating what you need and not enjoy your sport as much.

Read. Self educate.
Don't take any singular write up as gold, validate it. Find more literature that agrees.

An essay, yes, BUT if your exercise is tailored towards what you already do in sport, and if you teach yourself with an open mind to options then you'll have a much easier time maintaining the self discipline to keep doing them.
... If it's not fun, you'll not keep doing it.

So a very rough guide:
Monday - REST Recover from thrashing your body in game
Tuesday - light training (skills) and weight session
Wednesday - Light legwork again, vary it but keep it under an hour. Skills training one week, jog the next. Just leave the upper body alone.
Thursday - Hard training
Friday - moderate upper body weights session keeping legs fresh for the weekend and don't overwork your core. Alternate this day every 2 weeks with resting.
Saturday - Social game and a light jog/swim
Sunday - Full bore game. Leave everything you have on the pitch.
NEVER FORGET TO STRETCH, WARM UP AND WARM DOWN!
Even before doing weights, stretch the areas you're going to work.