good defensive tactic?

Jono Cpfc

Reaction score
im a sucker for a good defensive tactic, every tactic i download im smashing teams or they're smashing me. i love me a good 0-0 or 1-0 win, even a 1-0 loss aint bad, much rather lose 1-0 then lose 5-4 honestly. I find it much more realistic also. so can anyone recommend me a tactic that will do this?

I did very well with a 4312 system that i heavily tweaked from a 433 FuSS tactic. Although not a defensive mentality (i struggled to make it work that way, you invite too much pressure), it's a low line of engagement and a conservative back 4. We managed to concede very few goals, just 22 in 38 games in Serie A with Spezia, a lower/mid table team.

1645123775032.png

I did very well with a 4312 system that i heavily tweaked from a 433 FuSS tactic. Although not a defensive mentality (i struggled to make it work that way, you invite too much pressure), it's a low line of engagement and a conservative back 4. We managed to concede very few goals, just 22 in 38 games in Serie A with Spezia, a lower/mid table team.

View attachment 581070
Could you post a link to your tactic or screenshots of positions, players instructions etc? I find the tactics on the tactic page are all positive/ attacking and would love an old style Mourinho/ Sacchi tctic grinding out results.

Could you post a link to your tactic or screenshots of positions, players instructions etc? I find the tactics on the tactic page are all positive/ attacking and would love an old style Mourinho/ Sacchi tctic grinding out results.
Sure, i was working through my second season to make a proper post with the whole strategy and stats to back me up, but this will give you a starting point in the meanwhile.

Attachments

• 4312 low.fmf
    46.4 KB · Views: 225
Sure, i was working through my second season to make a proper post with the whole strategy and stats to back me up, but this will give you a starting point in the meanwhile.

Great tactic! Tried tweeking and even F9 to poacher made a huge difference (2nd --> 12th). Ran it on holiday a couple times and this was the best finish I got. Again, great defensive tactic!

Attachments

• 4312 Low Udinese.png
    4312 Low Udinese.png
    640.7 KB · Views: 405
which tacital style are you using with spezia?

Great tactic! Tried tweeking and even F9 to poacher made a huge difference (2nd --> 12th). Ran it on holiday a couple times and this was the best finish I got. Again, great defensive tactic!
That's great! I'm sure if you played the games you would've won the league. Tweaking strategies midgame is critical, to switch to attacking or to defensive modes, or to adapt your marking to the opposition.
Can you tell me what tweaks you made?

which tacital style are you using with spezia?
I'm playing a 4312 narrow. In a set of 3 tactics with minimal tweaks between them. All 3 tactics have intense pressing, but they differ in LOE setup.
Dangerous games i play low LOE
Most games standard LOE
Games i should win i play high LOE, high line, offside, get stuck in.

With the ball, they kinda play the same way. I also tweak some roles, like from mezzala to carrilero if i need more defensive balance, or switch to fullback attack in a flank if i need more men pushing forward.
The setup is like this
1648058311142.png

Results:

1648058402963.png

I'll make a thread with this tactics when i have the time

I dont think FM match engine favors defensive tactics. Honestly, most defensive tactic I've seen is 4-4-2. Getting a 1-0, or 2-1 score is rare nowdays.

I dont think FM match engine favors defensive tactics. Honestly, most defensive tactic I've seen is 4-4-2. Getting a 1-0, or 2-1 score is rare nowdays.
Exactly, if you play in a defensive mentality, your players just stand there and watch the AI play at will. You can resist and minimize chances for a while but they will eventually break you, if they cant score with a through ball or a cross, they will take long shots, they will get 20 corners, they will even get a penalty for a silly push, and that's it. That is why i started experimenting with Line of engagement. Playing that way looks and seems defensive, even if your mentality says otherwise.
If you don't take risks, you won't get very far in this game, that's the way it is. I wouldn't start a match lower than balanced mentality, but i can switch to cautious on some passages of play if i need it.