good players from Portuguese League

SpiDevil

Reaction score
After posting on Rainkan's thread about Nicolas Gaitan I'd decided to build up a thread talking about players from Portuguese League. Maybe many of this players are unknown to you guys and they surely can benefit mostly every team of FM.
Some will even fit in teams like Barcelona, Real and so on (will underline them).

Benfica
Fábio Coentrão - great left winger and wingback
Oscar Cardozo - huge scorer and target man
Javier Saviola - quick poacher that scores lots of goals
David Luiz - good centerback that had a good plus for your matches -> his long throws
Maxi Pereira - useful right fullback bargain
Pablo Aimar - good AMC solution
Nicolas Gaitan - great AML and can play as AMC too
Luisão - backup CB

Porto
Nicolas Otamendi - godlike centreback
Hulk - another godlike; very strong player that can play as striker or winger (I actually use him as right inside forward)
Falcão - nice striker, but not as good as irl
Fernando Belluschi - good AMC
João Moutinho - good MC that ca play as AMC too
Fernando - a natural born ball winner that is a very good DMC
James Rodriguez - good winger that can play both sides

Sporting
Vuckcevic - can play as AMC or AML; this guy has been a great solution for me at Tottenham
Liedson - good striker to use as backup
Matias Fernandez - very good AMC stats
Patrício - cheap GK that can be used as a backup

Braga
Hugo Viana - very good AMC stats

Will take a deeper look today when I get back home.

Last edited:
Remeber that David Luiz and Liedson are no longer in the portuguese league!!!!!

Anyways, I'll add a few, Alan Kardec, Felipe Menezes, Franco Jara, Cristian Rodriguez, Daniel Carriço, Grimi ain't bad either (in the game) , Luisão is a beast of a CB.

As for youth, Oblak, Tobias Figueiredo, Sergio Oliveira, David Simao and Leandro Pimenta ain't bad, Ruben Pinto, Alipio, Rodrigo, Gonçalo Paciencia, and lots more.

From what I'd been digging on this forum many managers don't even know or bet in Fábio Coentrão when he's top notch player. My intention is that managers can take a deeper look on this league, 'cause there are lots of good valuable players to buy when you start your FM.

I'm trying to be selective here slbenficacoach, because I'm sure Luisão, Kardec and Filipe Menezes for instance don't benefit a team like Tottenham or Atlético Madrid at all. Liedson and David Luiz got sold, but not everybody has that updated.
I'd personally sold those 4 players from Benfica you mentioned above, since they didn't fit my future interests.

Mate, Luisão is a beast of a CB 4 any team. Also, i assure u Coentrão is very well known in this forum. If Roderick Miranda is known, be sure that Coentrão is a top rated player over here.
As 4 players that aren´t very well known around here, u can make suggestions such as Caetano (P Ferreira) or Regula (Setubal).

From what I'd been digging on this forum many managers don't even know or bet in Fábio Coentrão
you clearly have not been looking hard enough mate, he is the most mentioned player in Fm11 along with Neymar and Lukaku :)

Not talking only for top teams, but for teams in general, as top teams have more money hence more options.

And Luisão would benefit any team :) If not starter, 3rd or 4 th option in ANY team.

First times I posted his name in this forum no one seemed to care about Fábio ^^ Good thing he's known as Neymar and Lukaku.

I don't consider Luisão a beast CB for any team, but an average one. There are tons of good CB's stronger than him. I'll had him at the list as backup though ;)
I can even tell you that I sold both Luisão and David Luiz from Benfica cause they are not enough to battle vs good teams.

I'm in 2015 with Benfica, my current CB pair is David Luiz and Roderick, still have Luisão as backup, the other CB' is Miguel Vitor, won everything in Portugal every year and have 3 champions league. But my team is beast though..

I'm in 2015 with Benfica, my current CB pair is David Luiz and Roderick, still have Luisão as backup, the other CB' is Miguel Vitor, won everything in Portugal every year and have 3 champions league. But my team is beast though..

x2
In my Benfica save my cd are Roderick and D Luiz. They r good enough to provide 6 in a row leagues and 4 Champions;)

You'd managed to win Champions League with those CB's? ****! You should post your tactics or mail me. You made me very curious now :eek:

I have Sakho, Hummels and Zapata with Atienza + Kara as backups and honestly I can't compare any of Benfica CB starters with them... Ah, and sold Alex Silva recently too.

Well my team has a very long baseline, most players have been at Benfica for at least three seasons.
I'm in 2015-2016 :
GK: Neuer
DR:Maicon
CB:David Luiz
CB:Roderick
DL: Dodo
CM:Adrien
CM:Khedira
AML:Coentrão (Just made his beast season 39 assists)
AMR: Muller (but I bought Cristiano Ronaldo this season, last year of contract, 60 million, so Muller will go to striker)
STR: Hulk and Rodrigo/Muller.

Also have:

Silvio, Anderson, Luisao, Miguel Vitor, David Simao, Leandro Pimenta, Ruben Pinto, Cardozo, have about 13 or 14 portuguese players in total, which is alot.

But is very important to have a structure and have a reserve team that has players for the future. And also keep players along time, all of the mentioned players have at least 3 seasons here.

You'd managed to win Champions League with those CB's? ****! You should post your tactics or mail me. You made me very curious now :eek:

I have Sakho, Hummels and Zapata with Atienza + Kara as backups and honestly I can't compare any of Benfica CB starters with them... Ah, and sold Alex Silva recently too.

Try Raikan´s perfect 433.
i will give u my benfica team

GK - Romero
DR- Sime Vrjalko
DC- D Luiz
DC- F Coentrão
DMC - Yann M´Villa
CM- Arturo Vidal
CM - Badelj
AMR - Hulk
AML - Neymar
ST - Sanogo

Hehe fantasma you put 10 players and named coentrão as DC. xD

I also have Sime vrsalijko, im loaning him until Maicon retires, so he can be first team, a player I forgot to mention is Bebe, have him as cover. He's great.

Try Raikan´s perfect 433.
i will give u my benfica team

GK - Romero
DR- Sime Vrjalko
DC- D Luiz
DC- F Coentrão
DMC - Yann M´Villa
CM- Arturo Vidal
CM - Badelj
AMR - Hulk
AML - Neymar
ST - Sanogo

Hehe fantasma you put 10 players and named coentrão as DC. xD

I also have Sime vrsalijko, im loaning him until Maicon retires, so he can be first team, a player I forgot to mention is Bebe, have him as cover. He's great.

ehe, my bad
DC D Luiz
DC Roderick
DL F Coentrão

I have to congratulate you guys by winning so much competitions with those teams.

It all depends on a single matter of choices and tastes ;)