Good team for beginner?

• Thread starter Thread starter GizKongen
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 8K

GizKongen

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first FM game and I really can't decide which team to be :-/ So far i've tried Athletic Bilbao, Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, Manchester United, AC Milan, Newcastle, Roma, Lazio and Liverpool, and the furthest i've gotten in any of those is September. I'm not that good at the game, but I wouldn't mind lower-league management. Please suggest a team for me, I really need the push :D Also, how long does it take to complete a season, because I noticed that some people are in the year 2026 and it takes an hour for me just to get to September. Thanks, and sorry if the post is a bit long or unneccesary.

hey bud, welcome, I would not do Bilbao as for their Basque only signings rule..

I would honestly suggest United/Real/Bayern/Dortmund/Chelsea

Actually I would pick a mid table side.

Do slightly badly with a top team you get fired

Do badly with a relegation side you get sacked and relegated

Mid table sides offer you the most leeway

Thanks for the quick reply :-) Also, could you recommend any tactic I could use, because until i learn to how to make good tactics, i'll be needing one. Sorry for the inconvenience

I'd say try a big team in a small league (relatively) Dinamo Zagreb, Celtic, Sparta Prague ect. Obviously you're unlikely to do too well in Europe at first but you should dominate the league.

FC Porto/Benfica are a good shout as well :) easy league and a nice challenge in the ECL

I'd go with Spurs or Arsenal, the both have decent first teams already and the board seems to be quite patient, at least with Arsenal. As long as you can get through the first season you should be fine.

I'm in the 3rd season with Arsenal at the moment and everything is going great, currently top of the league. However my first season ended up with me finished 6th but I kept my job and won the FA Cup.

The Key thing is to keep the board expectations low, even though you get less money to spend it makes your life easier in the long run and the board usually give you more money in January to spend if your doing well anyway.

Thanks Raikan, I decided to go with FC Porto, because they have loads of young talent, and a nice transfer budget :-)

Hi everyone, this is my first FM game and I really can't decide which team to be :-/ So far i've tried Athletic Bilbao, Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, Manchester United, AC Milan, Newcastle, Roma, Lazio and Liverpool, and the furthest i've gotten in any of those is September. I'm not that good at the game, but I wouldn't mind lower-league management. Please suggest a team for me, I really need the push :D Also, how long does it take to complete a season, because I noticed that some people are in the year 2026 and it takes an hour for me just to get to September. Thanks, and sorry if the post is a bit long or unneccesary.
I usually stay away from managing from my favourite/supported team ie Manchester United in my case, because I don't tend to wheel the axe on certain players that I should!. I usually go for team at lower leagues to build a successful young team to , climb the league pyramid!. When I've got higher reputation, hopefully get offered Manchester United job or a top division job?. By then usually Manchester United squad is very different to when game starts (ie in five seasons or more), so I would wheel axe more on players that are not good enough for team or I can in better players in that I've wouldn't usually bring to replace them?. I like to start in Blue Square Bet Divisions or lower!. It's defiantly harder managing at lower level with no money for players and staff, but it can be very awarding when you achieve this by taking small clubs up through the leagues.

Last edited:
Newcastle

Vouch for Newcastle. Great squad, bunch of disposable players you can sell for cash, solid finances and great facilities. Their main downsides are poor staff and fairly low transfer/wage budgets (win titles and you'll be swimming in it).

Thanks Raikan, I decided to go with FC Porto, because they have loads of young talent, and a nice transfer budget :-)

Yeah I was gonna say Porto, Easy in domestic competitions but a challenge to get European success, and a big enough reputation that if you do well a bigish European club may be interested in you later on :)

How do you guys get to the year 2024?! It's taken me like 4 hours to get to December !!!

How do you guys get to the year 2024?! It's taken me like 4 hours to get to December !!!

I'm in year 2016 on my current save, furthest I have got on any FM is 2020, but that was on FM11 with the mighty Oxford :P

Did you play all your friendlies, 'cos I think most people (Including me) let their assistant manager take control of them. Plus the transfer window does take a lot longer than the actual season :)

i would go with swansea. they have a good transfer budget (13m) on the first season and the board seems very generous.The squad is already good to stay in the prem and if you are lucky you can be as high as 6th place in the first season like I did. Of course to do that, I signed several key players like wellington nem and magnus eikrem. I really recommend these two players especially eikrem. He is a free kick master always score at crucial times

Deleted the Porto save because I really didn't like the team :-/ Now I've got to find a new team :(

Back