Gracious in Defeat: A Sunderland AFC Story

• Thread starter Thread starter ZeCarlos
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 43
  • Views Views 12K
Will definately be following as a fellow Sunderland fan. Can you upload your team and tactics?

I struggled to 12th in my first season. Never thought to recall Elmo.

Will definately be following as a fellow Sunderland fan. Can you upload your team and tactics?

I struggled to 12th in my first season. Never thought to recall Elmo.

Posted what tactics I'm using on page one. Personally still think I'll drop down loads before the end of the season and finish about 10th.

View attachment 298084

December 2012 Round-Up

View attachment 298086
December started off with a trip to Tottenham Hotspur in the Quarter Final of the Capital One Cup. A tired Sunderland side failed to match the London club - and despite a late Adam Johnson goal, the Black Cats were knocked out of the cup. Following the loss, a home game against Manchester United lay in wait for the Black Cats. An early Steven Fletcher strike gave Sunderland the lead, before the table toppers pulled one back and the game ended 1-1. Another trip to White Hart Lane then followed for Sunderland, and an impressive performance was capped off by a superb strike from midfielder Will Hughes which gave his team all three points.

As the month wore on, Southampton made the long trip North to the Stadium of Light. A second half double from Steven Fletcher left The Saints deflated following a positive performance from the South coast side. Wigan Athletic then played host to the Black Cats at the DW Stadium. A fantastic performance, rounded off by a hat-trick by Steven Fletcher, meant that Sunderland picked up all three points in a fine 6-0 win. Just three days later, the Black Cats yet again traveled away - this time to Fulham. Another fine display from the Northerners complimented their 4-0 victory.

Table

View attachment 298087
Some fantastic results for the Black Cats in the month of December mean they will head into the New Year in 1st place in the Premier League. Star striker Steven Fletcher has scored 9 goals this month - shooting his team to some great wins and an impressive league position.

Player of the Month: Steven Fletcher

View attachment 298088
The Scottish striker has been in fine form through December - scoring 9 goals in 5 league games. The former Burnley player now also sits top of the goal scoring charts on 17 - two ahead of Olivier Giroud from Arsenal.

Last edited:
View attachment 298142

Mann: We need strenghtening

View attachment 298144

Sunderland AFC manager Jason Mann has today spoken about the upcoming month. Despite previously ignoring the press when they made advances over his transfer negotiations - Mann has now stated his squad needs a serious make over.

"We need some quality to be brought in during January. We don't have the biggest budget and can't compete with the clubs around us in the league. Many of the players I'm looking to sell are deadwood and bring nothing to my side - while eating up all of my wage budget. They are no use to my team at this point and will hopefully be sold off. However, we won't be able to make much of a profit from these players as they aren't worth much. All I can hope for is some help from the board and hopefully, the money which was previously spent on paying un-needed players can be spent to help improve the side. Despite the fans urging us to sign talent for the future - I want to assure them the present is very much at the top of our priorities."

When asked about possible transfer targets, Mann had this to say: "At this point we're targeting several players with great ability. The club already has a great core to the playing staff and with two or three more quality players, I believe we can push forward even further. We're chasing a centre midfielder who will hopefully bring some stablilty and we're possibly looking at a centre half or two. As I say, at this point nothing is guaranteed and we're still open to meetings with agents."

The press went on to ask Jason Mann about his advances to Roma about playmaker Erik Lamela and he responded: "Erik is a fantastic talent - a real world beater. I, personally, would be honored to manager such a great player but at this moment it's difficult. Roma are holding out for money which we, as a club, simply can't afford. If there are no further advancements from this point, Lamela won't be a Sunderland player any time soon - despite being such a talent."

It is believed manager Jason Mann is keeping an eye on Charles N'Zogbia, McDonald Mariga and Grant Hanley.

View attachment 298468
January 2013 Round-Up

View attachment 298290

The New Year started off with a bang for the Black Cats as they traveled to West Bromwich Albion. Jack Colback and Sebastian Larsson supplied the goals in a 2-0 win. In the FA Cup 3rd Round, Aldershot Town frustrated Sunderland for much of the game - but never looked like finding an equaliser following Titus Bramble's 4th minute header. David Moyes' Everton then made the trip to the Stadium of Light to face the Black Cats. Winger Adam Johnson rounded off a great individual performance with a goal to give Sunderland a 3-1 victory. Queens Park Rangers then traveled to the North East with midfield duo Stephane Sessegnon and McDonald Mariga scoring the goals in a 4-0 win for Sunderland.

Norwich City were the next team to visit the Stadium of Light - a Connor Wickham goal rounded off the scoring in a 3-0 win. A trip to Swindon Town then followed in the 4th Round of the FA Cup. Midfielder David Meyler scored early before an own goal completed the scoring in a 2-0 win for the Black Cats. And finally, the month ended with a trip to the Etihad Stadium to face Manchester City. A tired Sunderland side managed to frustrate their hosts for much of the game; with Sergio Aguero being the only City player to hit the target. Sunderland striker Connor Wickham hit the bar with a header, but both teams failed to score.

Transfers
(In|Out)

View attachment 298306View attachment 298307

American midfielder Mikkel Diskerud joined Sunderland on a free transfer after his contract had ran out with Rosenborg. Barcelona winger Cristian Tello then also joined the Black Cats - but was ruled out until the end of February through injury on his debut. Inter Milan's Kenyan midfielder McDonald Mariga then joined on loan until the end of the season before Blackburn's young centre half Grant Hanley signed for £4,000,000. Spanish midfielder Michu then signed on Wearside for a fee of £4,500,000 before defender Aymen Abdennour left French club Toulouse for £3,000,000. Five youngsters then joined the Black Cats for a combined fee of £3,300,000. Oliver Schnitzler, Edgar Ie, Dale Jennings, Tyler Blackett and Jose Luis Gaya joined from Bayer Leverkusen, FC Barcelona, Manchester United and Valencia respectively.

Destructive midfielder Lee Cattermole left for Championship side Derby County for a fee of £4,000,000 after falling out with Black Cats manager Jason Mann. Experienced French striker Louis Saha then also left the club and headed for Premier League rivals Wigan Athletic for a measly fee of £210,000. Spanish defender Carlos Cuellar joined Swansea City for £4,500,000 before striker Fraizer Campbell joined London side Fulham FC for £5,000,000. Creative midfielder David Vaughan signed at Arsenal for £7,000,000 before defender Wes Brown followed him for a further £3,500,000. Young reserve team players Blair Adams, Liam Marrs, Louis Lang and Adam Reed all left the club on loan to Aldershot, Chesterfield, Hibernian and AFC Wimbledon respectively. Black Cats' teenage sensation Will Hughes then also left the club on loan to join Championship side Will Hughes on loan.

Table

View attachment 298308

The Black Cats continued their fine form through January and finished the month in 2nd place. Leaders Arsenal sit ahead by just one point - and the first game of February sees Sunderland face The Gunners.

Player of the Month: Connor Wickham

View attachment 298309
Young striker Connor Wickham impressed this month as he earned a place in the starting line-up. With Scotland striker Steven Fletcher having a poor month, Connor now has the chance to push on and earn some goals for the Black Cats in what promises to be a tough end to the season.

Last edited:
Have to apologize for (possibly) the lack of updates over the next week or two. I fully intend to continue on the story but exams are on top of me! I have two months of gameplay done and hope to complete the updates sometime soon! Keep an eye out! Thanks!

Look forward to the next update. I'm into my 4th season with Sunderland now and ive finished 12th, 9th and 5th and won the FA Cup second season, Europa Cup 3rd season and Euro Super cup in my 4th but im struggling this season in 15th but have about 2/3 games in hand but these wont even put me in the top half.

Good Luck with the exams.

Keep an eye out for updates tonight guys! Could possibly have three posted!

View attachment 299373

February 2013 Round-Up

View attachment 299375

February started off with a game against top of the table Arsenal at the Stadium of Light. A penalty from top scorer Steven Fletcher rounded off the scoring in a 3-2 home win for the Black Cats. Sunderland then traveled to the Britannia Stadium to face Stoke City. A second half goal from midfielder Jack Colback ensured the visitors picked up all three points in a 1-0 win.

In the 5th Round of the FA Cup, the Black Cats overcame North-East rivals Newcastle United with two late goals. Brazilian midfielder Wellington Nem scored with just four minutes of normal time left to give Sunderland the lead - before his replacement, Adam Johnson, slotted home in the 94th minute to give Sunderland a 2-0 win at St James' Park. To round off the month, the Black Cats traveled to South Wales to face an in form Swansea City side. A disappointing display from Jason Mann's side meant they picked up nothing as Swansea won the game 1-0.

Table

View attachment 299378
A loss at Swansea was the only disruption in a great month for Jason Mann and his team. The Black Cats still sit just one point behind leaders Arsenal. Striker Steven Fletcher currently sits on 19 goals in the league - two behind leader Olivier Giroud.

Player of the Month: Adam Johnson

View attachment 299381
England international Adam Johnson had a fine month on the wing for the Black Cats. An impressive month was rounded off after scoring two goals in three games and assisting another three.

View attachment 299385

March 2013 Round-Up

View attachment 299387

March started off with a home game against Reading FC for Jason Mann and his side. A double from Scotland striker Steven Fletcher was the highlight in a 4-0 win for the Black Cats. Next up, Sunderland hosted Norwich City in the FA Cup for a place in the Semi-Final. Four first half goals gave Sunderland a 4-1 win and sent them into the Semi-Final where they will play Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Following the game, West Ham United were the next visitors to the Stadium of Light. A late Steven Fletcher goal gave Sunderland hope - but it wasn't enough to secure a point following two early goals from the Londoners. To round off the month, the Black Cats visited Anfield to play Liverpool. Another double from striker Steven Fletcher ensured Sunderland won the game 4-1.

Table

View attachment 299392
A frustrating month on Sunderland's part leaves them just one point behind leaders Arsenal - still. In the month ahead, the Black Cats visit Newcastle United and Manchester United while hosting Chelsea. Steven Fletcher is currently sharing the top goalscorer spot in the Premier League with Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud. Both strikers have 24 goals.

View attachment 299393
The Scottish striker netted five goals in three league games this month and currently shares the top goalscorer spot in the league. The internationally capped player is setting the league on fire in surprising fashion.

View attachment 299402

April 2013 Round-Up

View attachment 299403

April started off with a trip to St James' Park to play local rivals Newcastle United. A goal either side of half time ensured the Black Cats completed the double over their rivals after a 2-1 win. Next up, Sunderland played hosts as Aston Villa visited the Stadium of Light in the hope of earning at least a point. Doubles from Adam Johnson and Steven Fletcher meant that Sunderland won the game 6-1 despite former player Darren Bent's opener.

The Black Cats then traveled to Wembley to face Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Semi-Final of the FA Cup. Three second half goals guided Sunderland through to the Final where they will play South coast side Brighton and Hove Albion after beating Wolves 4-0. London club Chelsea then visited the Stadium of Light and were absolutely outplayed. A hat-trick from striker Steven Fletcher and a double from midfielder Stephane Sessegnon rounded off a 7-0 win for Sunderland. The only negative from the game was an injury to Stephane Sessegnon which will see him miss the rest of the season. To round off the month, Sunderland traveled to Old Trafford to play Manchester United. Two first half goals and a late Steven Fletcher strike saw the visitors leave with three points after winning the game 3-1.

Table

View attachment 299420
A month of fine displays from Sunderland AFC leave them lying in first place with just three league games left. They currently have a three points lead over second placed Arsenal and face Southampton, Tottenham Hotspur and Wigan Athletic before the end of the season. Scotland striker Steven Fletcher is currently the top goalscorer in the Premier League with 30 goals - four ahead of Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud.

View attachment 299423
Scotland striker Steven Fletcher was on fire in the month of April - scoring 6 league goals in 3 games. Sunderland's star striker also currently sits top of the goalscoring charts in the league.

Got the three updates that I promised out! :) Let me know what you guys think and how the season will end? :)

Good work mate. When I play in England Sunderland always struggle to avoid relegation. So I Suppose this is very good :)
Keep up! Do you plan to continue there for many years?

Good work mate. When I play in England Sunderland always struggle to avoid relegation. So I Suppose this is very good :)
Keep up! Do you plan to continue there for many years?

I'm surprised myself mate! Yeah I plan to stick with Sunderland as I'm a fan and don't want to move on :)

Awryt been a silent reader so far but a always follow yours stories and your doing a great job and fletcher is on fire :) keep up the good work

Nice going. Only wish i could do this well. Can you put up a screen shot of your team? First Link doesnt work.

And how did you manage to beat Chelsea 7-0!!

Awryt been a silent reader so far but a always follow yours stories and your doing a great job and fletcher is on fire :) keep up the good work

Nice going. Only wish i could do this well. Can you put up a screen shot of your team? First Link doesnt work.

And how did you manage to beat Chelsea 7-0!!

This is quality!

Thanks lads! The Chelsea game was very much like the Aston Villa match - every attack seemed to end in a goal. Personally I was more impressed with our performance at United as I think them and City are the two strongest this year by far on FM. I'll post my team another day and I'm afraid I won't have an update tonight as it's my birthday! Keep an eye out soon though!

Back