Grant sacked as Chelsea manager

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Chelsea sack manager Avram Grant following their Champions League final defeat in Moscow.

More...

Story in full if ya can't be bothered:

Chelsea have sacked manager Avram Grant after just eight months in charge.

The decision followed two days of talks between Grant, 53, and the club's chief executive Peter Kenyon.

The Israeli coach's position had been subject to intense speculation after Chelsea finished runners up in the Premier League and Champions League.

Chelsea said in a statement on their website that the search for a new coach would now begin and that the club will make no further comment.
<!-- E SF -->
The statement said: "Chelsea Football Club can confirm that Avram Grant has had his contract as manager terminated today. This follows meetings over the last two days.

"Everybody at Chelsea FC would like to thank Avram for his contribution since taking over as manager last September.
"We will now be concentrating all our efforts on identifying a new manager for Chelsea and there will be no further comment until that appointment is made."

The futures of Chelsea assistants Steve Clarke and Henk Ten Cate are unclear and no official word has yet been given on their positions.

Grant, a close friend of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, took over when Jose Mourinho was sacked in September.

Frank Rijkaard, Sven-Goran Eriksson and, most recently, Brian Laudrup and Roberto Mancini have all been linked with a possible move to Chelsea.

Despite losing just two Premier League games while in charge, Grant attracted criticism from fans who claimed his team lacked style.

He was also criticised for losing February's League Cup final against Tottenham.

<!-- E BO -->
Not shocked :) Mancini i guess?

Last edited:
im gonna say hiddink, hes russian manager and meant to be good pals with roman

Not shocked but still harsh. Thought cos Abramovichs bumpal he might not have been, but then again Abramovich is a ****. Plus the fans were never behind him.

Mourinho anyone? :p

Going to be interesting to see who he hires. Even more interesting if they will want the job as there is always going to be that strong chance of being sacked after a year. But then again their wages will probably be massive so they will probably not care.

Best move for club and Grant. Cate is hated by the players so his off. Clarke wants a job in the championship yet noone will give him one. Mancini is an okay manager at best. He won't make any strides in the UCL. Russian NT is bankrolled by Abrahmovic and Hiddink has denied he will take the chelski job whenever asked however if Roman wants him there he will be there.

never liked Grant but he is gone now and hopefuly Drogba too. Hope the new guy likes free flowing attacking football so Shevchenko can finally stick everyones words up there **** :D

Well even if Shevchenko had a blinding season next year, which I doubt, he will still have had two ***** seasons, so people still wouldn't be won over :p.

I reckon it will be Rijkaard or Hiddink.

how the **** can you say that ??? Andy come on he has hardly had a look in and he has been played out of position. It's like playing Ruud out on the right it just doesnt work

True he hasn't had much of a look in and has sometimes been played out of position but what I meant was people are still going to see him as a 30m flop. Its true if he'd played upfront every game since arriving he'd surely have a good record; but not only did Mourinho not want him he clearly didn't think he was up for it.

I reckon he'll probably be back at Milan next season anyway.

yea your right he prob will and for a cut price as well