Graphics cards help?

Thanks guys, you my friends are legends... I'll concentrate on them two and let you know which I go for...

no problem mate, happy to help. Btw did you ever find out what processor you have in the computer?

no problem mate, happy to help. Btw did you ever find out what processor you have in the computer?

I've not had chance set it up yet, It's still in the box, but I am going to set it up fist thing tomorrow on my day off and get it all sorted for him, I'll let you know as soon as.. so if it's the Quad core processor I'll prob need a new power supply

I've not had chance set it up yet, It's still in the box, but I am going to set it up fist thing tomorrow on my day off and get it all sorted for him, I'll let you know as soon as.. so if it's the Quad core processor I'll prob need a new power supply

no because the 4670 and your current graphics card have very similar power consumption. So if you already have a quad core in the machine and then adding the 4670 shouldn't change your power needs drastically.

no because the 4670 and your current graphics card have very similar power consumption. So if you already have a quad core in the machine and then adding the 4670 shouldn't change your power needs drastically.

Thanks Jak , great help

if anyone from england can recommend a laptop with the system requirements to run FM11 and alot of other things for under £350, then please inbox me a link :D

Budget isn't really a problem, I just don't want to start paying big amounts as I could of just bought him a console instead but anything around £60-80 would be fine... if there is any decent ones at the price ? but if there's something slightly cheaper and is decent then I'm all for it..

The 4670 is king here. There really isn't much else that can come close, everything in this price bracket will either be not good enough for gaming or require additional power which puts it well out of budget if you need a new power supply.

It;s been a while since I've been tot he UK and when I was there I used to buy from scan, but here's the cheapest new 4670 's I can find (never bought from either so caveat emptor) http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/80555...R3-PCI-Express-2-0-Graphics-Card/Product.html
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-RADEON-HD-4670-Graphics/dp/B002L02PSC/ref=pd_cp_ce_2"]Sapphire RADEON HD 4670 - Graphics adapter - Radeon HD 4670 - PCI Express 2.0 x16 - 1 GB DDR3 - DVI, HDMI - HDTV out - lite retail: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

The 4670 is king here. There really isn't much else that can come close, everything in this price bracket will either be not good enough for gaming or require additional power which puts it well out of budget if you need a new power supply.

It;s been a while since I've been tot he UK and when I was there I used to buy from scan, but here's the cheapest new 4670 's I can find (never bought from either so caveat emptor) http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/80555...R3-PCI-Express-2-0-Graphics-Card/Product.html
Sapphire RADEON HD 4670 - Graphics adapter - Radeon HD 4670 - PCI Express 2.0 x16 - 1 GB DDR3 - DVI, HDMI - HDTV out - lite retail: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Thanks Winfield you've been a great help mate... there's a scan close by the where I live so I'll check out there site and see what they got.. thanks again

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 01:37 AM ----------

The processor is :

Intel celeron cpu 420 @ 1.60ghz

I did what you said on D X DIAG but couldn't see anything with duo or quad core on it ..

Does this change anything ?

The processor is :

Intel celeron cpu 420 @ 1.60ghz

I did what you said on D X DIAG but couldn't see anything with duo or quad core on it ..

Does this change anything ?
Celerons are pretty terrible... :S

You won't be able to load any more than a couple of leagues with that CPU - and it only has a single core. You could buy a new CPU as well. The one you have is a 775 socket CPU so there still should be a few around to buy.

But IMO if you are going to buy a new GPU and a new CPU, you may as well just keep saving and buy a new computer.

Last edited:
check your PM's dannyfive0. I'd be very very wary of upgrading the processor. Dell's tend to have custom BIOS's(motherboard control software) which make life difficult fpr a CPU upgrade unless it's on their supported list.

Even if you find one, processor+video card will cost around 100-130 quid so personally I'd opt for a xbox 360 instead. Saves you from doing tech support and the hassle of running around looking for parts

Last edited:
Thanks guys, appreciate all your help, I'll keep looking around and sell this one like you both said...

yes I'll agree with the others and say that processor is fairly terrible so no point in upgrading your gpu. Good thing you checked that otherwise you would have wasted £68! In future I would recommend buying all the parts for a computer separelty as it's cheaper and you get what you want. Saves a lot of money then you can upgrade different parts when you see fit (is what I have done since first building my computer back in September 2008).

Building your own is always the best. It is really no more difficult to do than a jigsaw puzzle. Definitely, borrow books, youtube, ask questions. Don't be a poor slob like me and take a night course. So much easier now than when I built my first PC in 2004. Dialup internet, not as many different sites and the knowlege base wasn't as in depth. And all your parts are covered by the same warranty as you would get from most places (1yr parts)

Danny I also sent you a PM but I'm not sure if it came through. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Jak & Winfield

Got your pm Winfield, just replied..
I imagine over time I will learn to be able to build a complete PC, I'm capable of installing some hardware it's just when it comes down to choosing and finding the necessary parts which would be compatible with each other.. That's the part I find quite daunting as there is so much on offer....But again can't thank you enough for your help

I agree first building a computer is extremley daunting so once again I'm going to recommend this forum. I honestly couldnt recommend if enough if you are ever thinking about building a computer. The members are very friendly and very knowledgable. There is a thread that is just for proposed specs of all ranges from top end gaming machines, good gaming machines and just simple computers.

I agree first building a computer is extremley daunting so once again I'm going to recommend this forum. I honestly couldnt recommend if enough if you are ever thinking about building a computer. The members are very friendly and very knowledgable. There is a thread that is just for proposed specs of all ranges from top end gaming machines, good gaming machines and just simple computers.

Thanks Jak I'll save that and have a good browse around...