shabbauk

Reaction score
‘Great Scot’ challenge

Welcome to the Great Scot challenge thread.

View attachment 291817

Main Objective: Win the CL with a 3rd​ Division Scottish team using ONLY Scottish players/staff.

Rules:

• You can only use/sign Scottish nationality players
  • You can pick ANY Scottish 3rd​ Division team, Rangers being the easiest option.
  • No editing the database
  • You MUST sell/release all non-Scottish players, none of them can play a single minute for the club
  • All your staff must be Scottish

Achievements:

• Moving up – gain promotion from the 3rd​ division
  • Into the 1st​ – gain promotion from the 2nd​ division
  • Premier In – gain promotion from the 1st​ division
  • Unstoppable – win 3 back to back promotions
  • National hero – offered the Scotland job
  • Cup that - win the Scottish Cup
  • That’s my boy – a Scottish player wins World player of the year
  • World’s best- win the World Cup with the Scotland national team
  • Great Scot – win the Champions League

I thought this would be a fun challenge and help people to get to know the Scottish league/players, as well as practice both local scouting and working on bringing youth through.

In theory it should start of easy ish and get harder (opposite to most FM saves). Also you have a difficulty level in the team you choose, Rangers should be the easiest but the brave ones can take on someone like Sterling, winning the CL with them with only Scottish players would be a HUGE achievement. The side game on this one is the National job, you must NOT choose the NT from the start, but wait to be offered the job.

Feel free to give it a crack and post updates as you go.

Last edited:
Starting this off with Queen's Park, hopefully take the other better side of Glasgow to the top along with Celtic.

Starting this off with Queen's Park, hopefully take the other better side of Glasgow to the top along with Celtic.

Might be difficult mate, i tried that in Fm11 got them to Div 1 and the club status still hadnt changed from Amatuer. I'm not sure if it will change at all. In that case i doubt you will go all theway, probs as far as the SPL but thats it.

I'd be very surprised if this challenge is possible. I have won the CL with Hearts in FM13 & with Peterhead in FM12. My Hearts first team squad does not have one Scottish player in it as no Scottish player in the game is even close to being good enough. I am the Scotland manager also so know every player available. Its not been for lack of trying either. I would love to have Scottish players in my team but even if every Scottish player was on a free I wouldn't sign any of them. I have the best training & youth facilities possible & I have the best squad in the game. I've never had a player come through the youth team that even looked close to being good enough. Very disappointing but unfortunately true.

Well there is no doubting it's hard, very hard - but I've been playing FM a long time and most challenges bore me. In one save I once won the EPL with all english players, went to a Spanish Club and won the Serie A with all Italian players, then onto Spain and won La Liga with all Spanish players. Winning the CL with all Scottish will be much harder of course but I like the idea, I did the San Marino save last year and loved it, I doubled up and took over a San Marino league team and got them into the CL group stages a few years running (albiet using any nationality players).

I've added in sub-goals for people to work towards though as well, this is defo a save with both short and long term targets.

Might be difficult mate, i tried that in Fm11 got them to Div 1 and the club status still hadnt changed from Amatuer. I'm not sure if it will change at all. In that case i doubt you will go all theway, probs as far as the SPL but thats it.

Gave up after the first season, couldn't keep a team together cause other teams would just offer them contracts.

Well with Rangers I'm doing well, battling for the SPL now in the 2nd season, finished 2nd last year. In the CL, won my group luckily!

Club has some good young players and some decent older heads, Charlie Adam on loan was a good signing, James Ness etc. Still all scottish :)

Will be hard to challenge for the CL but soon I hope to overtake Celtic, that's the first short term goal now.

Got £20m in the bank, hard to spend it as it's v hard to find top Scottish players now.

Looks like fun, i'll try for the sake of it, earn some of the FM accomplishments

I'm starting this now, Probably gonna start off with Rangers for obvious reasons

Good luck. Rangers is a best bet, challenge is easy and then gets harder once into the SPL and trying for CL etc.

Shortlists are you're friends in this save, i.e

Contract expiring (for those with sub 12 months left)
Good players - solid Scottish players worth keeping tabs on
Good Youngsters -promising prospects to keep an eye on
Must buys -big targets

Thats how I always work but it applies especially to this challenge as you need to move quickly for good Scottish players when they become available.

Have your scouts filtered to only search for Scottish nationality players too.

How does this work with dual nationals? If a player has dual English/Scottish nationality then opts to play for England is he eligible?

Already out of the Scottish League Cup, accidently thought it was a friendly and instant scored it, Whoops, gonna have to wait till next season

Good luck. Rangers is a best bet, challenge is easy and then gets harder once into the SPL and trying for CL etc.

Shortlists are you're friends in this save, i.e

Contract expiring (for those with sub 12 months left)
Good players - solid Scottish players worth keeping tabs on
Good Youngsters -promising prospects to keep an eye on
Must buys -big targets

Thats how I always work but it applies especially to this challenge as you need to move quickly for good Scottish players when they become available.

Have your scouts filtered to only search for Scottish nationality players too.

I'm playing it on FMC so i don't think i can set the scouting assignments

Forget that I've done it, I'm makig my shortlist now, thx for the advice

My rule was that when viewing the players profile they MUST have the Scottish flag there. So when you look either via the profile directly or at them via a search list like the general info squad list or trasnfer list, the Scottish flag must be there.

I think Wooton was Scottish then 'turned' English, so I sold him (luckily for a £1.2m profit)

Getting rid of the non-Scottish players is also a pain sometimes, had to wait a while before all mine where gone, with them just rotting in the reserves, couldn't give some of them away.

Yeah it really is, I have Sheils and Sandaza both quality, My Midfield would be scottish if not for sheils

Currently I'm doing it with Rangers, the SPL is now 10th in the world, we are a CL regular but 4th seed so usually finish 3rd in the CL group.

A mate is doing it with East Stirling! He has got them to a regular CL team too, going to be hard from now on, long and slow etc.