Greatest United player

I don't know if he's been mentioned by anyone but, Nobby Stiles. What a player, quite unheard of when compared to United's other best players such as Cantona, Best, Keane, Giggs, Scholes, Charlton, Law, Robson, Foulkes, McClair, Macari, McIlroy, Stepney, Schmeichel.

Gotta mention Duncan Edwards aswell, people reckon England would have won another World Cup had he not died in the Munich Air Disaster.

I am not a Manchester United fan but it has to be george best. He was a magnificent player but unfortunately the world never saw what he had to give due to his personal issues. Not a player in the world has the skills he had.

Quite interesting seeing what everybody has said. I can only really comment on the United players the last 10-15 years so the main candidates are Giggs, Scholes, Ronaldo, Keano and Cantona.

got to be charlton for me, absolute legend of the english game. but in recent times i would say roy keane.

Well, I've never seen George Best, I've seen clips of him, and some clips of when he had a short spell with us at County ;) < Bet you didn't know that :p

But since I've been watching the football, it's Scholes or Keane for me.

The attacking trio of Law, Best and Charlton was unstoppable and the best attacking combination in English football history.
It just has to be one of those three.
Other than that, Roy Keane is the best since the premiership started

In the modern day era, it can only be Ryan Giggs & Paul Scholes, anyone else is just a pretender to the throne. The way these 2 have gone about their career is exemplary and both (minus scholes' tackling) great role models to anyone wanting to play the game, and even to those who already are. Out of the two, I would hesitate and put Giggs ever so slightly ahead, purely on the basis of what he has achieved. The most appearances in a Utd shirt, and couple that with the amount of trophies he has won in his career - just simply astonishing. But the fact that both still play, and still have the desire is as much to do with themselves as it is to do with SAF's man management. I dare-say nobody would be talking about Giggs & Scholes in the same way had SAF not had the lengthy career at Utd that he has done.

If we are talking about pre-modern day era, then my avatar says it all, and yes I cant possibly have enough to go by, but with the accolades and positive reviews the man got, he has been seen by many as the greatest Utd player ever, including that of Sir Matt Busby, Denis Law and Sir Bobby Charlton, and they are bound to know alot more about it than I do. So if he is classed as the greatest ever - then I'm sure as **** bound to agree.

Now greatest team - there is a debate -

GK - Schmeichel

DR - Neville
DL - Evra
DC - Vidic
DC - Stam

MR - Best
ML - Giggs
MC - Keane
MC - Scholes

ST - Charlton
ST - Edwards

So many miss out, but they would be who I put in.

Major bump.

After the season Giggs has had he has to be considered one of the best. Simply outstanding.

Piece in the guardian today debating United's greatest team.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...6/Is-this-Manchester-Uniteds-greatest-XI.html

GK: Peter Schmeichel
No debate, despite Edwin van der Sar’s timeless brilliance. Schmeichel changed the goalkeeping rulebook.

RB: Denis Irwin
A model of consistency, the Irishman won everything bar the Uefa Cup during his United career.

CB: Jaap Stam
The rock on which the Treble was built. Dutch defender’s just pace puts him ahead of Nemanja Vidic.

CB: Rio Ferdinand
His value to United becomes apparent when he is not there. Just ahead of Gary Pallister.

LB: Roger Byrne
The captain of the Busby Babes, a central figure for both United and England.

MID: Bobby Charlton
Only debate over where to play him, not whether he was selected.

MID: Duncan Edwards
How can you leave out Roy Keane and Bryan Robson? The alternative was omitting Edwards, which was a non-starter.

MID: Ryan Giggs
United’s most decorated and long-serving player. Still tearing opponents apart, 20 years after his debut.

RW: Cristiano Ronaldo
Unquestionably deserves his place. Just look at his goalscoring for Real Madrid for proof.

CF: Denis Law
Nicknamed ‘The King,’ the Scot is in every United fan’s dream team.

LW: George Best
No greatest United team would be complete without the Northern Irish talisman.

Some team.

Last edited:
When great players like VDS, Cantona, Vidic, Keane, Robson, Scholes, Beckham, Bruce, Pallister, Paul McGrath, Neville(Just cant miss him), RVN, Eddie Colman, Tommy Taylor are not in the line up, you can see what a great players we had over the years.

Can't argue with that (Haven't watched many players in that list)

Major bump.

After the season Giggs has had he has to be considered one of the best. Simply outstanding.

Is this Manchester United's greatest XI? - Telegraph

No debate, despite Edwin van der Sar’s timeless brilliance. Schmeichel changed the goalkeeping rulebook.

A model of consistency, the Irishman won everything bar the Uefa Cup during his United career.

The rock on which the Treble was built. Dutch defender’s just pace puts him ahead of Nemanja Vidic.

His value to United becomes apparent when he is not there. Just ahead of Gary Pallister.

How can you leave out Roy Keane and Bryan Robson? The alternative was omitting Edwards, which was a non-starter.

United’s most decorated and long-serving player. Still tearing opponents apart, 20 years after his debut.

Unquestionably deserves his place. Just look at his goalscoring for Real Madrid for proof.

Some team.

Could not argue with this team what so ever. Such quality going foward and real strength and desire at the back. Winning team.

Only based on players I've seen play

Schmeichel​

G Nev Vidic Stam Irwin​

Ronaldo Keane Scholes Giggs​

Ruud Cantona​

Subs:
VDS, Evra, Ferdinand, Beckham, Ince, Rooney, Hughes.

Greatest of the lot........ Roy Keane. Not the best player as such but what he brought to the team was immense. Some teams were beat in the tunnel before the match had even kicked off!

Only based on players I've seen play

Schmeichel​

G Nev Vidic Stam Irwin​

Ronaldo Keane Scholes Giggs​

Ruud Cantona​

Subs:
VDS, Evra, Ferdinand, Beckham, Ince, Rooney, Hughes.

Greatest of the lot........ Roy Keane. Not the best player as such but what he brought to the team was immense. Some teams were beat in the tunnel before the match had even kicked off!

No Solskjær!?

Major bump.

Is this Manchester United's greatest XI? - Telegraph

Some team.

That would destroy any team in the world nowadays. what a ******* team.

3-4-3
Schmeichel

Vidic,Bruce,Stam

Best,Keane,Edwards,Giggs

Law,Charlton,Cantona

Last edited: