GREEN ARMY:The Pilgrims set to march again!

• Thread starter Thread starter AndySams10
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 6K
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndySams10

Reaction score
GREEN ARMY:
The Pilgrims set to march again!

images

NEW OWNER AT LAST!!

After nearly a year of uncertainty and months of negotiations, Plymouth Argyle have today announced that businessman James Brent's Akkeron Group have finally reached a successful agreement with the administrators to buy the club which celebrates its 125 year history this year. Brent said: "There's a huge amount to be done to rebuild the club. The first focus is to pay the staff their first full month's wages for a very long time. Then it's trying to rebuild performances on the pitch and the financial position of the club."
Following the appointment of Brent, Argyle Fans Trust chairman Chris Webb said "This is the greatest day in the club's history and the most important in the club's history in my point of view, We want to see this as a new dawn for Argyle with fans coming back through the gates and local businesses re-investing commercially.We need to make sure that all our passion from the past few months off the pitch is put into our support on the terraces for the team on the pitch to try and keep us in League Two.

images

"ALL CHANGE AT ARGYLE"

images

Plymouth Argyle have today unveiled Ex-Argyle Youth Trainee Andy Samuels as the clubs new manager following James Brent's takeover. Samuels will replace former Argyle player Carl Fletcher, who has left the club by mutual consent. "I've had a great time at Argyle and have learn't alot on the sidelines, but I understand and support the new owners decision to bring in a new manager, to help take the club further forward" wrote Fletcher on the clubs website.
Samuels, is a former product of the Argyle youth team making just one appearance for the first team. He has made more of a name for himself around the Semi-Pro level most notably at AFC Totton, Bashley and Winchester City. Before joining Plymouth as manager, Andy enjoyed a successful year coaching at Romsey Town, where he has transformed the club into a title winning side. Samuels had this to say at his earlier press conference. "I'm very grateful for the opportunity I had at Romsey Town and have received full backing from the club, to allow me to join a club close to my heart, as this is where I grew up. I'm very confident in my ability to bring the best out of the young talented squad that's been assembled here. I'm looking to get promotion in my first season, which would be a fantastic way to celebrate a historic year in the clubs history"
Samuels also added "I won't be looking to make wholesale changes to the team, due to the financial situation we have been in, but I may bring in one or two new additions to the coaching staff. I'm thrilled the owners have trusted me with this position and I can't wait to get out on the training pitch tomorrow."

Hi Guys, Hope you enjoy my story. Thought I'd get it up and running tonight then continue tomorrow. Thanks

After my first morning training session with the team, I sat at my desk and started flicking through the vast amount of paperwork that I needed to get sorted before the start of the season. Top of my list was to make sure I tied down the promising youngsters long term and also the more valuable players such as Simon Walton, Darren Purse and Onismor Bhasera.
Along with the playing staff contracts to be dealt with, I also had to go about the difficult task of restructuring the Non-Playing staff, though hard and tough, the decisions to release Scott Russell, Rhys Wilmot and Kevin Hodges were accepted gracefully by all parties, an understanding which is spread throughout the club.
Joining the backroom team I have brought in Paul Groves, who's experience at West Ham and Portsmouth will prove vital to any success we want this year.

images

After the off pitch buisness was taken care of, it was now down to the task of fufilling our pre-season fixtures:

Plymouth Argyle 0 - 5 Bolton

images

Not the greatest way to start my reign and build confidence. We were well beaten by a very experienced Bolton side and lost heavily through goals by Ryo Miyaichi, Ivan Klasnic, Robbie Blake(2) and Jack Sampson. Despite the result, it gave me a chance to use 20 players and see what my potential starting eleven could be.

Boreham Wood 0 -3 Plymouth Argyle

images

A great response to bounce back from the Bolton game, playing what i feel will be my strongest eleven that's currently available to me. We won comfortably thanks to Matt Lecointe(2), his first senior goals for the club, and a Curtis Nelson header.

Saltash 1 - 3 Plymouth Argyle

A good performance today as I rotated the squad and they duly delivered. Goals from on loan forward Juvel Tsoumou(2) and Matt Lecointe, gave a a great reminder that these two young talents could be leading the line come the start of the season.

Forest Green 0 - 3 Plymouth Argyle

images

Another fine win, which has really got the squad brimming with confidence. Goals from Tsoumou, Luke Young and an Own Goal helped us secure an easy win.

Plymouth Argyle 0 - 3 Walsall

images

Back to reality with a very disappointing loss. After a great run of three wins, I was hoping we could put up a fight against a side a division higher, but right from the start we were on the back foot as two early goals from Jon Macken and Alex Nicholls made it hard work for us to get anything from the game. Ryan Jarvis sealed the win late in the second half.
I now have a massive task of picking up the players ready for the start of the season, and I've told the players I expect alot better and never want a repeat performance of what we put the fans through!!

After an interesting pre-season I held a team meeting, the night before our opening League game, and reiterated to the squad how much faith and confidence I had in their ability to have a memorable season. My Captain Simon Walton echoed the feeling "C'mon boys, lets put the troubles we've had behind us, and let's kick on a show that we should be in a higher league."

With the team bonding session over, the players and staff went back to their rooms in preparation for the opening day fixture.

images

Northampton 1 - 3 Plymouth Argyle

The opening day fixture presented us with an away game against Northampton Town. With a full strength side to choose from, expect long term injury victim Bhasera, I was confident that the team that played against Walsall, would repay their faith I had in them. Juvel Tsoumou(2) carried on his recent form in front of goal with two well taken goals. John Johnson pulled one back for the home side, but a Clarke Carlisle Own goal sealed a hard earned victory.

images

1st Round

Crystal Palace 5 - 1 Plymouth Argyle

A tricky League Cup fixture for us in the first round, and despite the score line, it was a very harsh reflection on the overall performance. Jon Williams gave Palace the lead on 5mins, which they held on with until Juvel Tsoumou equalised with a great turn and shot. Our joy was short lived as Chris Martin, Anthony Gardner, Sean Scannell and Mile Jedinak scored in the space of a crazy 15 minutes.

images

Plymouth Argyle 2 - 1 Accrington

images

Back to league action and our first home game in front of the "Green Army." We got off to a flying start when Curtis Nelson crashed home a header at the far post from a corner inside the opening minute. We produced shot after shot, but couldn't add to our tally, and the inevitable happened on the hour mark, when Dave Winnard volleyed home from close range. With a disappointing draw staring us in the face, up popped Nelson again in injury time to float his header over a croweded six yard box and into the far corner. No less than what we deserved!!

images

Crawley Town 2 - 3 Plymouth Argyle

images

On the back of two wins in the league, we faced probably the toughest challenge of the season and many peoples favouriyes to win the league.
We were sensational tonight and I wouldn't be lying if I said the scoreline flattered the hosts. Darren Purse got the opener after 5mins and Tsoumou doubled our lead just after the half hour. Matt Lecointe then scored his first competitive goal and made his way into the record books, by becoming the clubs youngest ever scorer. And what a screamer it was, curling a 20 yard effort into the top corner, just before the break. Charlie Wassmer scored a dubvious penalty just after half time, and though we kept creating chances we couldn't hit the back of the net. Billy Clarke pulled a goal back on 88, but Simon Walton made sure of a fantastic victory by sliding home number four in injury time.

images

Plymouth Argyle 2 - 0 Oxford

images

A fourth straight league win puts us top of League Two after a hard fought victory at home. I made one change from the starting line up, bringing in Nick Chadwick for the tired Matt Lecointe and that change paid off as Chadwick and Nelson got the goals to see us lead the table on goal difference.

images

Shrewsbury 3 - 2 Plymouth

images

Our unbeaten run came to an this afternoon, How? I'm not quite sure. We took the lead through the re-freshed Matt Lecointe, who turned well inside the box and scored with a well placed effort. Luke Young should've doubled the lead, but placed his close range header over the bar. Shrewsbury then went down the other end and scored through Mark Wright against the run of play. Ashley Hemmings thought he gave us the deserved points after 72 minutes, lashing home from inside the six yard box. But the game was turned on its head again in the final ten minutes when first Curtis Main equalised after confusion in the away teams defence and Matt Richards floated in a free kick from the edge of the area to leave us facing our first defeat in the league.

images

Plymouth Argyle 6 - 1 Bristol Rovers

images

What a superb way to bounce back from defeat in our previous game. And what better opponents to do it against than our local rivals!
Ashley Hemmings put us one up on six minutes following a quick counter attack. Joe Anyinsah levelled for Rovers twenty minutes later with a fine finish, but then it was all us. Luke Young got his first and second goals for the club, sandwiched between a Simon Walton Pen and another Matt Lecointe strike. A Byron Anthony Own goal sealed our emphatic win.

images

** BREAKING NEWS **

Argyle hit by injury blow.

images

High flying Plymouth Argyle have been dealt an injury scare, with promising youngster Ashley Hemmings ruled out of action for upto 6 weeks. The news will come as a blow to Argyle fans who are currently enjoying sitting top of League Two and playing the best football they have seen for a number of years. Argyle boss Andy Samuels spoke to us earlier " It's a huge blow to lose Ashley, he has just started to play with confidence and show what a talent he is." When asked if Samuels would look to bring someone in, he replied "Not at present, we have young Luke Daley and Jed Harper-Penman who can play there and Onismor is close to returning to action, so we are pretty strong for cover."

images

Morecambe 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle

images

Following on from our home demolition of Bristol Rovers our next two games in the league were both away. First up was a trip to the Glebe Arena. And we didn't come away with anything, despite having all the possession and shots on goal. A freak Darren Purse Own goal was enough to give the points to the home side as we made the long trip back down south.

images

Swindon 2 - 1 Plymouth Argyle

images

Our second away game on the bounce, and another loss. We were very poor today, and didn't deserve anything from this game. We made it difficult for ourselves from the start, falling behind after a minute from a goal from Lander Gabilondo. Shortly after Alan Connell smashed a penalty against the post, so I was happy to come in only a goal behind at the break. Andy Iro extended Swindon's lead just after half time and although Juvel Tsoumou pulled a goal back for us, we couldn't find the equaliser.
Tough times ahead as I have to pick the lads up and get the confidence brimming throughout them again.

Nice start.If it's half as good as your AFC Wimbledon story it'll be one of the best on here

images

Plymouth Argyle 2 - 0 Crewe

images

Following back to back losses we bounced back with a comfortable win against lowly Crewe. Both forwards got on the score sheet, first through Juvel Tsoumou and then by hot prospect Matt Lecointe.

images

Plymouth Argyle 2 - 0 Dag & Red

images

This early top of the table clash saw our biggest crowd of the season and it was the Green army who went home happy after a dominating victory thanks to a Simon walton 35 yard blockbuster and Juvel Tsoumou notching his sixth of the season.

images

Burton 1 -
4 Plymouth Argyle

images

A tricky away fixture was next and with Matt Lecointe missing through injury it gave Nick Chadwick the chance to claim a starting place in his absence. And Chadders didn't disappooint with two goals in either half. Our first came through Darren Purse who always proves a threat at corners. Jaques Maghoma pulled a goal back for Burton in the second half, but it was to no avail as a Ross Atkins Own Goal sealed an emphatic victory.

SkySportsNewsHD_Presenters_479x129.jpg_543817095.jpg

** BREAKING NEWS **

Argyle face yet more injury problems

images

Plymouth Argyle have been dealt a triple injury crisis as all three forwards have been struck down by injury. Worse hit is promising young forward Matt Lecointe who will be missing for 7 weeks. Lecointe has been in great form of late, scoring 4 goals in his first season as a pro. Leading scorer Juvel Tsoumou is also ruled out for upto 3 weeks with a damaged elbow and third choice Nick Chadwick is out for 3 weeks with a thigh strain.
" We are down to the bare bones stiker wise, and it will force me to play 17 year old Jared Sims and out of favour Warren Feeney over the next couple of weeks. I have the utmost confidence that they will put a shift in for the team." Samuels commented on the clubs official website.

images

2nd Round

Yeovil 2 -
1 Plymouth Argyle

images

I went into this game full of confidence and hoping to cause an upset to set on a target of a good cup run. But those ideas were quickly thrown out, when Conor Hourihane stupidly got himself sent off after 25 minutes. We did battle on and went in at half time level. But soon after the break, Lewis Guy gave Yeovil the lead, until Jed Harper-Penman on his full debut equalised with 10 minutes left. All thoughts were now on penalties, but our hard work was undone when Guy fired in the winner on 87 minutes.

images

Plymouth Argyle 2 - 0 Torquay

images

Another derby game this time against Torquay United. The pre-match build up was over shadowed by Torquay Manager Martin Ling, highlighting that his team wouldn't do us any favours and his dislike towards me. But this time I had the lastlaugh as we saw our nearest rivals off with a well earned victory. Curtis Nelson was again on the score sheet with a routine header and Simon Walton scored from the spot to secure the 3 points.

images

Macclesfield 1 - 8 Plymouth Argyle

images

Our best away performance to date by far. We were simply awesome. Nick Chadwick and Juvel Tsoumou(2) gave is a 3 nil lead at half time, then following a few encouraging words our second half performance was breath taking. Paul Wotton, Ashley Hemmings and Curtis Nelson extended the lead to six after 55 minutes, though George Donnelly scored a consolation after 60 mins, it was left to Luke Young and Luke Daley to fire in goals 7 and 8 respectively.

images

Plymouth 2 - 1 Cheltenham

images

The run keeps going with another good display against Cheltenham this evening. Darren Purse gave us the lead on 6 minutes heading home from a corner, and a Sido Jombati Own Goal just before half time put us in control. Darryl Duffy pulled one back, but we held on to make it three consecutive wins.

images

Gillingham 1 - 1 Plymouth Argyle

images

Gillingham took the lead after a dreadful pass back by Bhasera gave Jamie Griffiths the chance to score. And that was how it stayed until midway through the second half, Curtis Nelson equalised with another bullet header. The only talking point after the goal was an injury to Nick Chadwick who has been ruled out for 2 months with fractured ribs.

images

**MONTHLY AWARD NEWS**

images

Plymouth Argyle are delighted to announce that Manager Andy Samuels has won the NPower League 2 Manager of the Month award for October. Samuels has guided his Plymouth team to the top of League 2 scoring a massive
42 goals in the process.
Also, Hot Prospect Luke Young has won the Young Player of the Month award for October giving Argyle a double success. Despite a shaky start, Young has found his feet and has put in a number of eye cathing performances to help him to winning the award.

images

Afc Wimbledon 1 - 2 Plymouth Argyle

images

We got off to a great start this afternoon in the wet conditions. Matt Lecointe stabbing home from close range on 13 minutes to give us the lead. Despite our dominance Rashid Yussuff pulled the home side level with a close range finish. Two minutes later our leading goal scorer Tsoumou found the net with a great solo effort, which kept our fine run going.

images

1st Round

Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Gillingham

images

A tough looking first round tie for us, was made slighlty easier thanks to a sending off on 14 minutes for the visitors. Joe Kuffour saw red after a silly two footed tackle. Despite us bombarding the Gillingham goalkeeper it took until the 68th minute to break the deadlock thanks to a Darren Purse diving header.

** We have been drawn at home to Bury in the 2nd Round.

images

Plymouth Argyle 3 - 0 Bradford

images

A comfortable victory in the beautiful Devon sunshine and in front of a healthy 7,570 spectators. And it was the vast majority of them that went home happiest as Juvel Tsoumou(2) and a Luke Oliver Own Goal saw us win the game and stretch our unbeaten run.

images

Plymouth Argyle 1 -1 Barnet

images

A very tired display from us today, as the same eleven who have done so well for me lately, played another consecutive game, due to the small squad I have at my disposal. Matt Lecointe gave the home fans something to cheer on the stroke of half time, but journeyman striker Steve Kabba equalised midway through the second period as the away side earned a point.

images

2nd Round

Plymouth Argyle 2 - 1 Bury

images

The draw was kind to us with another home tie, but playing a side from a higher division I knew would always provide us with a stern test. The boys were great today and we took the lead on 3 minutes through Luke Young who capitalised on a mistake by the Bury keeper. The lead only lasted till the 6th minute when Lucas Akins scored a tap in after good work from the winger. Juvel Tsoumou scored our second and his 13th of the season, when he latched onto a fine pass from Lecointe and steered his right foot shot past the on coming keeper.

** We have been drawn away to Chesterfield in the 3rd Round.

League Table - December.

Pleased with my current standing and not much between ourselves and Swindon. Currently on a 12 game unbeaten run including league and cup. Had hoped for a mouth watering FA Cup 3rd round tie, no disrespect to Chesterfield though.

I'm really enjoying this mate I'll defo follow. Hope you still follow my Paul Gazza Gascoigne one :).

Bristol Rovers aren't our local rivals.

Apart from that, good read. Nice to see young talent such as Young & Lecointe being used.

Bristol Rovers aren't our local rivals.

Apart from that, good read. Nice to see young talent such as Young & Lecointe being used.

I was meaning with regards to being in league 2, aside from Torquay there isn't another close derby. Glad u like and hope Young and Lecointe become key figures for years to come. Hope u will keep following.

Thx for your comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back