Reaction score
35, Born in October 3rd 1976. Here I was looking back on a healthy career as a player after throwing the towel in last year after my legs just couldn't take it despite my love for football. Starting with a career when I was 12 starting out for my boyhood club, Grimsby Town I always wanted to be a footballer and it was my fathers faith in me which drove me to where I am today putting in the extra work for him in training and matches. It was soon to pay off as after 4 healthy years later with me maturing I made my first ever appearance in professional football at the age of only 16. It was against Chesterfield I had been approached by the youth team manager, Robbie Stockdale and to be greeted with his warm Scottish accent saying to me: "You're not with us today son."
I replied back with "what do you mean Robbie? I've been putting the work in at training and I don't understand." His face still shone brightly by saying "I havn't dropped you wee man, look behind you." There I was standing with my heart in my mouth with all of the First Teamers stood glancing at me I slowly walked over to the managers Rob Scott and Paul Hurst, AKA Shorty and Shouty as Rob Scott was always known for the touchline bans and hated by other managers. Hurst was the brains out of the two it had to be said. I took my place on the coach next to the players which I seemed a little fish in a big sea. Chesterfield Away it was.

The coach arrived, the fans outside the coach was our away faithful. 4,000 atleast in full voice as they was flooding through the turnstiles. All I can remember was going into that changing room and the managers taking to me to the side when the players went to the tunnel and Scott and Hurst both exchanged words which I couldn't seem to hear but then Hurst looked at me and whispered, "You're best is all we ask for, aslong as you give 110% the fans will love you." I took this on board and went out there and the end result was a 2-2 draw in which I managed to get myself on the score-sheet on my debut with a tap in it has to be said, but every goal is a goal right. Soon as the final whistle blew the away supporters was like a heard of lions with the roar they gave out and even started chanting their new 16 year old central midfielders name with "Sign him up, Sign him up, Sign him up." There was no better feeling in the world but this is just the start of my career. Shortly after the game I received a phone call from my number one fan, my father. "Just heard the news son, I knew you would do it you've done me proud."

Later that season I went on to make 15 more appearances and I scored 3 more times and assisted 6 in the season. It was a dream season for me on my first steps on becoming a football player and a club which I hoped I could be a boyhood local hero, I was soon to be awarded with a 5 year contract Not to mention I was named the Captain at the age of 19. 2 seasons later I had reached my 200 game milestone for Grimsby Town and scoring 63 Goals for them with 74 assists to my name as I always kept a chart of this and now I was a fan favourite at the club and approaching the age of 21 which I am still a youngster. A few weeks later I came into training and John Fenty, the Grimsby Town chairman was there with a big smile on his face at Blundell Park. He called me into his office and asked me to take a seat.

"Garner, we have received a high amount of interest in you recently and this season and with the club in such a tight financial position you have been a fantastic servant to the club but I feel we may have to be forced to sell you for the health of the club and cash in on you."

I replied, "John, I love this club with all my heart and I want to stick around for things by now, I am not money motivated I have a bond with the fans like they are my family."

John was soon to reply, "Garner, I hate to say it to you but we have already accepted bids for you from Sheffield Wednesday and Hull City."

"So you are forcing me out of the club John? What will the fans s.." I was rudely interrupted with a knock on the door which was some representatives of Hull City and Sheffield Wednesday which I had no say in and they came to Grimsby to sign me, I didn't have to travel to either. First John invited the Wednesday guy in, He was looking to offer me
£15,000 a week which was staggering to my current deal of £2,000 pound a week. Next the Hull City bloke entered with a annoying vibe about him I didn't like him whatsoever. He was the one putting £30,0000 a week on the table, a mammoth wage but I wasn't interested and aswell as Hull City are Grimsbys fierce rivals I laughed it off and was forced to put pen to paper with Sheffield Wednesday. I had to say goodbye to my town, my love, my family. My father was the first person I rung to tell about the news on which he loved Grimsby himself but saw it as a good career move for me, I was dissapointed to leave this. I also received texts from close friends and players which I had to be professional about but explain why i left. I just wonder what the fans would think afterwards. Although my transfer fee brought Grimsby out of debt.

View attachment 235930

Grimsbys Garner signs for Wednesday for 3.5m

View attachment 235934

I stood in the press conference with the manager of Wednesday, Dave Jones and the cameras was everywhere asking me why I came to Wednesday. I didn't like to lie but it wouldn't look good on me to say to the fans at my new club "I didn't want to sign I forced out of my club by the chairman." I replied to the press with the biggest pile of tosh I have ever told in my life
"The club looked very appealing when they came in for me and once they laid me an offer like they did of higher quality football, it was had to say no as well as working with good quality players and a manager like Dave."

You Garner Stay or Go?

My career at Wednesday was a brief spell as I never managed to settle there although I had quite a good season playing 30 games and scoring 7 I never really settled to life in Sheffield and was later offered the choice to move to Leeds for 2.5m. I had no second thoughts about accepting this and re-establishing myself as a quality player and I spent 6 glorious years there winning things such as promotion from league one and there or thereabouts in my career I was in the peak year in my career. I met some of the best friends in my life at Leeds and played with fantastic players there such as Becchio, Snodgrass and Lonergan. I made a total of 176 appearances and scores 66 goals. Not to mention I was made Captain after my first year after a string of amazing performances and skills of leadership. Warnock was a magical manager as he transformed me into a player who could play the role in-between the midfield and attack which pulled the strings and changed games once again. The tactic which Neal used would be one that treasured me in my managerial career the magical 4-2-3-1. It was the same ones used by the Spanish players in most of La Liga, most noticeably the '06 world cup when France beat Brazil and outplayed them with it. After 6 long amazing years at Leeds I decided that another challenge was needed to my career although I owe it to Leeds for revitalising my career and I even won individual awards such as Player Of The Month awards on numerous occasions and Team of the Year twice.

View attachment 235935

Top of the morning to ye'

After a numerous amount of transfer bids coming in for me after I put in my transfer request to leave Leeds teams such as Huddersfield, Crystal Palace, Barnsley, Hull, Southampton and Boro coming in for me I also had some outrageous offers from abroad such as Sporting Gijon in Spain, Nurnberg in Germany and Evian TG in France. I decided my venture on somewhere I had always wanted to discover when I was younger.

View attachment 235936
SHAMROCK ROVERS

I had always wanted to play in Ireland as my Grandad was Irish and told me about how beautiful everything was out there and how peaceful the way of life was, it was safe to say it was beautiful alright. I chose this club as I thought it was a new challenge and although my wages dropped dramatically you only get one life so you may aswell enjoy it. I was greeted by the chairman Jonathan Roche and the manager Stephen Kenny who I agreed a 2 year contract worth
4,000 per week. The Shamrock fans flocked inside the stadium for my first game as many describing me as a unbelievable coup for the club which made me feel great inside. My first game I realised that the standard of football wasn't as easy as I first anticipated I was made the Captain of the club on arrival. The lads inside the changing room was always joking about and most of them never truely had their head screwed on before games which most probably suggests why they was always playing in a amateur league. I lasted 2 seasons at Shamrock making a total of 53 appearances and scoring 38 goals. I felt as my career was coming to an end with my legs aching once I played 2 games a week, but I vowed to continue until I could no longer carry on my performances. I was bewildered why my contract was not renewed at the end of the season but I left Ireland with good memories with Shamrock as we won the title one year and we nearly got into the EURO cup one year but was knocked out by the famous Lech Poznan in which Manchester City adopted their dance. But i bidded farewell and was off on my journeys again.

Golden boy set for return?

I was looking for a club after Shamrock and my options again wasn't short I received offers from teams such as Swindon, Bournemouth, Leyton Orient but I wasn't interested in moving down South as I wanted to be near my family. The nearest offer I received was from Tranmere which was a 2 hour drive when I didn't really fancy even being that far away from my family, I was going to call my career a day and look back upon my business career which I once wanted to pursue, then my phone rang with a familiar voice which spoke down the phone. It was short and quick this was one opportunity I was going to cherish. "Mr Garner, it's been a very long time I hope you've had a good career and saw you was a free agent still from Shamrock is there any chance you'd be willing to drop to the level of football with us?" I replied quickly with "Yes John, I will be at your office tomorrow."

I woke the next day and drove automatically to the ground which I once called home, I had already informed my dad of the news which he was over the moon about a possible return. John welcomed me back in his office saying "the managers still want you back but we are worried about the wage issue about you joining if we can afford a player of your calibre as you are 33 and still have the quality of playing in the championship or league one, we will not be able to afford those wag..." I didn't let John finish before I jumped an responce which put a smile on his face, "John i've never been money motivated, you remember? Hull City, Sheff Wednesday, I will play for a basic wage although my knees have been hindering recently I will only ask for a one year deal." John was more excited than me and announced the signing as quick as possible.

View attachment 235948

It was a dream come true to finally return to my boyhood club, First game back was like I was 16 again yet more old and.. crocked.
The opposition was against a dismal Tamworth who I had never heard of, but we was in the non-league, We ended up drawing the match 2-2 and it wasn't the best of efforts from the boys. However the Town faithful was fantastic and in loud voice all game. The season didn't finish on much of a high neither as was 15th and was predicted for promotion I only managed to play 13 games and scored 4. Soon as the season had ended the worst possible news could have happened, (or the best for me) Scott and Hurst was sacked from their jobs after Fenty thought about it long and hard. There was 10 games left and I was called into Johns office and he explained that if there was anyone who could pick the lads heads up it was me, he offered me the temporary managers job at Grimsby till the end of the season. I also announced my retirement from football on my career which I had loved from the profession I had done. The last 10 games of the season we won 8, and drawn 2, undefeated in my first taste of management. John called me into his office and sat me down about taking the job full time and if I was interested, I jumped at the opportunity and put pen to paper on a 2 year deal with Grimsby Town.

Career Stats

Grimsby Town apps: 213 goals: 67
Sheff Wednesday apps: 30 goals: 7
Leeds united apps: 176 goals: 66
Shamrock rovers apps: 58 goals: 38

Career total apps: 477 Career total goals: 178.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first ever attempt on a story just going to have a coffee and tea then will be doing a start to the season on FM with transfers ect I hope you like it an constructive criticism along the way will be awesome, Thankyou.

View attachment 236136
Garner appointed as manager of Grimsby Town, he was successful there as a player but how will he do there in his first season of full management? Grimsby was founded in 1878 and are now part of non football, they play their football at Blundell Park and have a capacity of 8870. This year Grimsby are looking for an aim of reaching the playoffs as they aim to finish in the top half but believe they are too big of a club to stay in this division.

View attachment 236140

As I am currently spending 14k p/w on wages, my budget is set at 27.5k p/w meaning I have 13.5k free to spend on new players, although most of the additions this year is fairly new Garner believes there is still some fresh faces to arrive at Blundell Park. I was soon to be interviewed by the press.

Reporter: "Mr Garner, as the new manager of Grimsby Town how do you feel about this opportunity?"

Garner: "Obviously this is a dream come true and something I could of only wished of doing It's my first step in management and I want to take the club forward as they are too big to be in a league like this."

Reporter: "Who will you be looking to bring in for the transfer window, you must surely have some transfer targets in mind?"

Garner: "Yes I do have some targets but I have to assess every player and give them a fair chance before I start looking at players, I will need a new Striker and Attacking Midfielder though so i'll let you guess who my transfer targets are."

Reporter: "What tactics will you be looking to deploy in this league to try drag you out of it Mr Garner?"

Garner: "Well that would be telling wouldn't it, anyway I must get off as I have much business to attend to,"

GARNER LOOKING AT STRIKER TO TEAM UP WITH HEARN

View attachment 236147

absolutley awesome op man brilliant read you got me hooked ill be following keep up the great work

absolutley awesome op man brilliant read you got me hooked ill be following keep up the great work

It's my first story mate I hope you like it, I often forget what to put but hopefully I can carry on doing it and more people follow, I will have more done for tomorrow :)

you will definatley get more followers once they read it mate it brilliant i look forward to the next update greatly mate:)

Quality start, keep up the good work.

View attachment 236152

It has been said Grimsby are on the verge of securing a central midfielder from a lower division but with a high ability. Also they are looking to expand their Striking force with a big named signing which will catch everyone off their feet. Aswell as expanding, Garner is also looking to get rid of the dead wood in Ridley, Arthur, Kempson and Duffy as they are big earners at the club but are no part of Garners plans in taking the club forward. Although playing with 1 Striker it is looking likely that the formation may be changed in order to fire in the goals this season Garner is a big believer of having strength in depth and making sure players keep on their toes so they don't slack off.

FRIENDLYS.

Newcastle 4 - 1 Grimsby, Nothing really gained from this match just revenue and I was glad that we got a goal at Newcastle although it was a field day for them, next result will be better and it is only pre-season I made sure the lads wasn't too downbeat as the stature of the club they faced was huge, not to mention the lads was excited at playing against players such as Demba Ba, Cabaye and Ben arfa.

Airbus UK Broughton 5 - 1 Grimsby, Absolutely devastated with this result, I told the lads aswell pre-season is the first key to getting mentally prepared I grilled them in the changing rooms and declared the next day we was going to the woods running for two hours and they wouldn't see sight of the ball but running marathons to improve fitness as in this game we got run about like rag-*** rovers from a pub team.

NEW SIGNINGS ANNOUNCED FOR TOWN.
Today Garner has tied down two signings which have have proved very popular with fans. Also pundits have been caught very off guard with these signings and seen as a massive coup for town. No doubt they will add much needed experience to the team and confidence to the lads at the club aswell as one of them having more than 50 caps for his country. I was soon to attend a press conference to unveil the new signings together.

Reporter: "Garner, you sit alongside your two new signings at the club, are you pleased you managed to catch these two players?"

Garner: "I'm delighted to welcome them both to the club, obviously I will be looking to settle them in as fast as possible and hopefully they kick on for a successful start in their Grimsby careers."

Reporter: "Will you be needing to offload any more players to pay for these two players as they are heard to be on high wages?"

Garner: "In all fairness, no because they are not earning much more than most of the lads in this team already, I have already sold Lee(ridley) to Accrington and he was one of the biggest earners at the club."

Reporter: "Are you confident these two players are game changers?"

Garner: "Would I have bought them if not?"

And I excited the press conference with a huge grin on my face and I couldn't wait to see these two in action. Oh and the suspence of not telling you the two players? Quinton Fortune, ex Man United and Athletico Madrid player has Captained his country numerous amounts of time and has experience at the top level. The other player being Pablo Counago, ex Ipswich man who went off the boil in his spell in England but caught my eye as I received a call from Neil suggesting he is looking for a club as low as our level and could be a great player for us. Anyway back to the office and see what work I have to do now.

Grimsby 1 - 1 St Johnstone, Much better result after I gave the lads that kick up the ***, the lads looked better and the ball was fizzed about the pitch like a pinball under control, it was brilliant. I felt really dissapointed we drew this game as we had the chances to win it but didn't take them, however I was still amazed by the performance and said to the lads in the changing room that if they play like that this season we will be storming the league.

Grimsby 2 - 3 Queen of the South, Still can't get that win for the first pre-season friendly but I had a few trialists playing today and just to have a look at a few players, we played quite well and didn't deserve to lose, still got leaks in the defence so a centre back leader is needed.

Leicester 1 - 0 Grimsby, Brilliant performance and went down to a money spending Leicester team which was 50-50. I have also signed some new players in which I will soon introduce, as that is the last friendly I have been trying to shape a squad up for the season ahead.

(having problems with uploading photos, will outline main signings)
Izzy Iriekpen, strong centreback who is quick with league experience
Jamil Adam, nippy little Irish striker who will guarantee goals
Pablo Counago, ex championship striker with bags of experience and a lethal shot
Quinton Fortune, what more can I say insperational character in the dressing room and provides experience all over the pitch.

Next update will be start to the season with a game against Darlington to get us underway.

View attachment 236483

View attachment 236484

First league game of the season infront of Blundell Park, what a fantastic achievement I had already brought myself, I made sure I arrived extra early for this one and got things set up, John called me into his office at 1:30 and wished me good luck to get the season underway, I had my father sitting in the pontoon stand watching me as my first full time manager job. Win or lose it would be such a proud day for me to manage the club I loved. Edging closer towards the match, the fans flocked in early and I called all the lads out to begin with training before the match. I noticed they was all up for it and my captain Quinton Fortune was spurring everyone on during the warm-up, what a fantastic team morale I had the start of this season, aswell as all the lads looked 100% switched on from the off and I was sure it was going to be a great match against Darlo. I called the lads into the dressing room, "Today the objective is simple, PLAY FOOTBALL nice attractive football, you will tire them and gaps will soon to appear. All I ask for is for your best effort and nothing less than 110%, We play as a team we win as a team, we lose as a team!" As I declared it there was no expression on the players faces, they knew the task at hand and what I expected. From above you could hear Blundell Park like the fortress it once was with a loud cry of MAAAAAAAAARINERS, MAAAAAAAARINERS I let the boys in for that if they put the shift in, the fans would always back them. It was time, 5 minutes till kick off and the players was lining up down the tunnel all concentrating on what has to be done. Quinton led them out and Blundell Park just erupted like a volcano. I went over and shook Mark Coopers hand and then stood in my dugout. Matchday.

Grimsby Town 2 - 0 Darlington
Counago, Adam

What a fantastic game in which we bossed from start to finish, came out of the starting blocks and Darlington didn't know what hit them.
On the 8th minute Anthony Churches long range drive cannoned off the crossbar and went out wide to Frankie Artus who delivered a peach perfect ball to Counago to slide it in on the half volley from 6 yards. Yet again on the 25th minute the ball was played from the defence out wide to Artus who looked up to find Jamil Adam on the edge of the area to rifle home a screamer. The rest of the match we was in cruise control and just kept possession and made Darlington look average, very pleasing performance from the lads and for both strikers to score on their debuts was very pleasing and to keep a clean sheet.

MOTM: Frankie Artus.

York City 2 - 3 Grimsby Town
Counago (2) 1 pen, Stieber

A match in which town showed some real bottle against local rivals and a must win game considering York last season was the best passing team in the league, going one nil down to some lackluster defending by town which I was not pleased whatsoever about, then we clawed one back before half time as there was a push from a corner in which we received a penalty and Pablo dispatched expertly. At half time I let the boys know that the performance has to be better as nobodys place in the team is guaranteed, I brought young 17 year old Stieber on for his full debut on the left wing to add abit of flair to the game. 10 minutes after the restart, Curtis Wynter spotted some amazing movement from Counago which resulted in him sliding a Xavi-esqe reverse pass through to the Spaniard in which he lobbed the keeper from a narrow angle, the Spanish star looked clearly delighted and so did his teammates around him. Our third goal came from a throw in, Artus received the ball and used Wynters overlapping run as a use to cut inside and deliver a ball to the far post which everybody missed, except Stieber and he scored in his first ever professional appearance and I could feel his emotions, the away faithful was singing "EASY EASY EASY" My half-time talk definatley gave the lads a wake up call and we came out 2nd half looking like we did against Darlo. On the 80th minute I brought Pablo off to save him from getting injured as he looked heavy legged, I brought on Liam Hearn. I could tell Pablo was p***** off because he was on his hat-trick but I explained its part of the team and he understood and took it professionally. York scored a 92nd minute worldie of a freekick but it wasn't enough as the ref blew for our victory. Fantastic result against one of our promotion rivals.
MOTM: Pablo Counago.

Grimsby Town 2 - 2 Luton Town
Coulson, Counago

A match in which I could of torn my hair out, In the 6th minute Diallo drilled a ball in from the left which the Luton defence caused a fuffle about and the keeper Pilkington went to catch but completely missed it then Coulson was left with a tap in. Our second came from the right back Doherty going on a run from right-back before centring the ball to who else but Counago who was on the penalty spot but smashed a header past the keeper Pilkington. We went into half time with a 2 goal lead. All I can say is terrible refereeing decisions cost us in the 2nd half but I wasn't dissapointed by the lads work rate and effort.

MOTM: Michael Coulson.

(After this game I had just announced a new signing in the Central Midfield area of Curtis Weston from Gillingham for 10,000 pounds and Samuel Adjei on loan from Newcastle.)

Braintree Town 0 - 2 Grimsby Town
Fortune, Church

Not really much amusement to this game, was a very rainy typical English day but the pitch was in a horrific state it looked like something from the 60's. There couldn't be football played on it whatsoever. However a freekick from 25 yards which Fortune stuck in the onion bag, Church headed home a goal from an Artus corner in the 93rd minute it secured us the win and the highlight of the game must of been the 700 travelling Grimsby fans singing "My garden shed is bigger than this" I couldn't help but chuckle to myself as it was disrespectful of Braintree but it was a poor looking stadium and im sure there was many worse in this league, however we still grinded out a result and came away with a clean sheet and 3 points.

MOTM: Izzy Iriekpen.

Grimsby Town 3 - 2 Stockport County
Adam (2), Counago.

A team which had lost all of their games in the league which was confusing as Stockport have always been known as a established league club. Things started off bad for us as we conceded a sloppy goal as a free runner got played through and slotted it past McKeown who was clealy frustrated at the defending. Grimsby hit back instantly with Artus winning the ball in midfield and running half the pitch to cross for Counago who slotted into the net. We went into half time the more confident of the teams as we was playing our football and had the run of possession. Straight from kick off, Stockport passed the ball out wide which was intercepted by Artus who drove down the wing and past his full-back to cross to the near post, the onrushing Adam threw his head at the ball and scored a fantastic diving header. In the 84th minute Stockport scored an equaliser from a corner and I honestly thought it was a draw as the lads heads dropped but Quinton looked at them all and spurred them on till the end. 90th minute, we was in possession there was a ball straight through the heart of the defence which looked a lost cause when the defender controlled it, only to be nicked by Jamil Adam and slotted into the net for a 3-2 Town victory. The crowd was of mad, my name being chanted with "GARNER FOR ENGLAND."
MOTM: Jamil Adam.

Mansfield Town 0 - 3 Grimsby Town
Coulson 2, Adam

Best game of the season by far, today they seperated the men from the boys. It didn't all start according to plan though, In the 16th minute Mansfield was awarded a penalty, James McKeown saved it then sent the ball 35 yards up field to Jamil Adam who waltzed past 3 Mansfield players before drilling the ball to Coulson at the back post, counter attacking football at its best. Town was in control and carried this on into the second half when Counago brought the ball down expertly then asif he had eyes in the back of his head backheeled a ball and caught Coulson on the run for him to rifle into the top corner to take the Mariners up to 2-0. I thought this was a masterpiece move and even Paul *** looked across to me and said absolutely brilliant goal. The last goal came from a throw in, it was thrown to Counago who swiveled on the volley to pick out Adam at the near post and make Towns lead 3-0. Mansfield was one of Grimsbys rivals but they was made a complete mockery out of today and Grimsby wiped the floor clean.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH.
MICHAEL COULSON
View attachment 236513

League Table

View attachment 236514

September

View attachment 236515

Overall a very successful month for me at my first shot in full-time management, I was genuinely happy although abit gutted I didn't win manager of the month but I took everyone for a team bonding session at Alton Towers, It went down very well and all the lads seemed to have a laugh, I wasn't gaffer for the day I was Garner, but for one day only. I made it clear to the boys when we went for lunch that the team morale seems very good and asked if everyone is okay and has no concerns. Everybody smiled at me and I could notice strike partners Jamil Adam and Pablo Counago was getting on very well and had a closer bond than most of the squad. It was good to see and a good day out, I explained to the lads if we are in a good position again near Christmas another surprise will be on the cards and see if any of them could beat me at the Go-Karts. Back to Football.

Grimsby Town 2 - 0 Southport F.C
Adam, Counago

The game started off with Grimsby receiving a freekick on the edge of the area then Jamil Adam curled it over the wall into the top corner, he made it look like a piece of p***. We had further chances to take the lead before the break but non wasn't clear. On the 50th minute mark Fortune came into a nasty clash in midfield where he went down injured and was forced to come off, it was quite a blow losing our Captain but we had to carry on. 15 minutes later Jamil Adam was running with the ball when he dropped it to Counago he travelled about 5 yards with the ball before unleashing a wicked drive from 35 yard out which the keeper just stood and watched like a statue. Blundell Park couldn't believe it and neither could I. What a strike from the Spaniard!!! He was soon to rush over to Jamil to thank him for his part in it although it was a superb individual goal. The game died off after that and Southport gave up as we kept the ball. The referee blew to give us a further 3 points in the campaign.

MOTM: Pablo Counago.

(I also announced my last signing for this window as I needed cover for each Central Midfield position Robbie Stockdale reccomended Bradden Inman from Newcastle who he watched in a reserve game against us, I went to watch him and it was clear his ability was good enough and I enquired at Newcastle and was shocked to tell me that we could have him on a free transfer. At the age of 19, he is one for the future and will join us in January.)

Gateshead 2 - 1 Grimsby Town
Iriekpent

A Grimsby team which was slow out the blocks today and never really got out of first gear, Gateshead scored early on in the game from an inswinging freekick which was nodded home by a man who had a free run, I was furious. 5 Minutes before halftime we was back in it from a Coulson corner which was finely nodded home by Iriekpen. In the second half Gateshead came out the better team again and looked more switched on than Grimsby as Gateshead was winning everything and always in there on the second balls and soon was to score their next, a nicely worked move in which the striker placed the ball round McKeown for a 2-1 lead to Gateshead. That's how the game stayed until the end of the match. Very hard to take as we could of pulled away from the pack by a few points today but on the upside our first loss of the season and are still sitting pretty in the table. I told the lads not to get too downbeat about it as every good team needs to lose to get back up on that high horse. Onwards to next game.

MOTM: Izzy Iriekpen.

Grimsby Town 1 - 1 Ebbsfleet
Diallo

A match in which I hold my head in my hands because we had so many chances to win this match and Ebbsfleet came and they parked the bus so we couldn't score. We broke them down very well and if it wasn't for their keeper we could have been 3-0 up and home dry by half time. After the restart it was the same as the first half then Ebbsfleet got a freekick 30 yards out in which they finished it excellenty and took it well. If we was to have lost this match I wouldn't have believed it. I thought it just wasn't going to be our day. Nearing the last 10 minutes of the match, Shaun Pearson knocked the ball into Diallo who ventured forwards and got his head up and floated the ball into the box which it evaded everyone and ended up in the top corner looking like a wondergoal! He didn't mean it whatsoever but I will take it, we pushed the last 10 minutes for a goal but the keeper has had a great day for Ebbsfleet. Although this was a match we should have won, you can't win when a keeper is in form like that today.

MOTM: Bradley Diallo

Newport county 1 - 5 Grimsby Town
Fortune, Iriekpen, Coulson (2), Counago.

This game was effectively over within the first ten minutes. In the first minute town had a freekick 25 yards out, Quinton Fortune stepped up and curled it perfectly into the top corner to put Town 1-0 up. 5 Minutes later Michael Coulson whipped a corner in and Iriekpen charged and nodded it home to double Towns advantage. The Newport players just didn't want to turn up today and I feel for the County fans as they had a good crowd today for the game. For the third, Doherty floated a ball to the back post which everyone ballwatched except Michael Coulson who was there to help it home, 5 minutes later Diallo brought the ball down under no pressure whatsoever and accelerated forward and fed Coulson the ball and he ran past 2 players before finessing the ball into the top corner. 4-0 at Half Time, Game set match. On the returns to be fair Newport came out and tried to give it a go but the quality just wasn't there, they pulled a goal back which was very scrappy. Later on Coulson got stretchered off and everyone applauded him in his amazing role he has in todays game. In injury time Fortune knocked the ball forward to Counago who shifted it to one side and pelted the ball straight into the top corner to bring all of the points back from Wales for Garners men. The only criticism that could be picked from this match is that we didn't keep a clean sheet. Nethertheless a vintage performance and some very happy town fans and players.

Grimsby Town 1 - 0 Hayes & Yeading.
Adam

Very good performance again today from Grimsby, should have been more than one but wasteful shooting cost them. 17 shots on target compares to Hayes's 1 shot on target tells the story of the game. The only goal of the game came from Jamil Adam as he played a one-two with Counago to take 3 defenders of the game and go on to score the winner of the game. Very pleased with the defenders playing football from the back and being solid yet again.

MOTM: Izzy Iriekpen

Player of the Month
Izzy Iriekpen
View attachment 236518

League Table
View attachment 236519