Grixys New Shutdown tactic....first edition.

Grixy

Reaction score
So here it is...a proper solid counter tactic.

Key elements

YOU NEVER SEEM TO KEEP THE BALL
THEY NEVER SEEM TO GET MANY CHANCES
YOU TACKLE TIL YOU DIE

Right enough of the BS and on with the proper stuff.

Im West Ham as you will see from screenies i supply. I am a newly promoted side being manager for a couple of seasons now and as you can see doing quite well but always room for improvement..this is where you come in.

The tactic is what it is...for underdogs i guess but any team please try and give me feedback so we can improve it together

SHOUTS AND OPP INSTRUCTIONS

MY ASSISTANT DOES OPP INSTRUCTIONS AS HE HAS 16 FOR TACTICAL KNOWLEDGE

This is something i seen in other peoples successes and thought it would save time.

SHOUTS

I ALWAYS START WITH..

RETAIN POSSESSION( l know how funny this looks but i never even attempted to take it off )
PASS INTO SPACE ( I had hoped this helped us break with pace)
GET STUCK IN ( I started without this and players just stood and watched..now they tackle like tigers and as yet not really had discp issues)
EXPLOIT THE MIDDLE ( As you guessed...my players are there)

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TRY OTHERS and share !!!

THE PLAYERS

GK- JASON STEELE
He aint been the best but cant really use my sub so im stuck..Never noticed what attributes to go for other than decency lol.

DR/L -
I use Matty Briggs and a couple of others but a good all round full back is needed as they are the consistent width of the team.

DC -I use quick centre backs but i doubt this is important as its a deep D-Line. Good tacklers are required but not too aggressive i guess.

DM/DLM - Good tacklers a must as they break up attacks in the first instance. Creative edge in the playmaker obviously.

IF - Good dribblers and passers would be helpful but finishing is also good to have. Pace is also helpful i guess

AP - PASS THEM TO DEATH..sits slightly deeper in theory and picks the defence open but can score too When he plays well you do.

ST - Dribbling is a must as i use a regen who is very quick and aint a great finisher.

I HAVE BEEN VERY VAGUE WITH THE PLAYERS AS I WANNA KNOW HOW YOU GET ON. I HAVE GAVE THE BASICS IM SURE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO WORK IT OUT AS YOU MANAGE YA TEAM.

I FIND WITH FM13 ITS MORE TO DO WITH MAN MANAGEMENT AND LESS ON PLUG AND PLAY. THIS IS A BASIS FOR AN UNDERDOG TEAM. YOU NEED TO GET THE BEST OUT OF WHAT YOU GOT.

Questions ????? Just ask im banking on this to help you and me out.

PLEASE DONT JUST SAY ITS **** AND THATS IT...like i have said its a solid enough tactic i aint been hammered yet...obviously its possibly just around the corner.

NOW INCLUDES ATTACKING TACTIC WITH SOME GOOD RESULTS..NOW IN LEAGUE CUP FINAL AND STILL 7TH IN FEB.

Please use control tactic if you are fave in game...maybe if your behind too but let me know how you get on !!!

Last edited:
Using the Grix tweaked.tac‎ with Swansea first season. Curently 5th in the league with 7 games to go. Has worked rather well vs teams that are fav's vs me. All thou I struggle vs temas Where I'm the fav. Tried the more offensive control tac you have, but don't seem to be working for me. But I am pleased with the counter tactic wich seems to be doing very well vs the big teams.

Just thought id give you some feedback grixy. Ive used the tactic with sunderland and my god the results are unbelievable im in january 2013 at the moment and i plugged it in pre season but had most success with possession and chances version. I have got javier garcia on loan for DLP position but play jack colback alongside him. Busy trying to train adam johnson and james mcclean to AMC rather than AMR or AML. Also managed to steal anderson from united for AMC which has probably helped in all fairness. Also managed to buy simon kjaar to help at CB. So good so far! Thanks for sharing such a splended tactic.. Its working a treat using retain possession. Have found my team likes to slide in though which im trying to tweak.

Great guys...loving that it wasnt just a fluke. I have developed a control tactic which has gave me better results against teams im a favourite. Ill add this on and remove poss and chances as it was only a draft copy to see if it was successful.

defo not a fluke mate. I mean ive found it very hard to get results with sunderland that im getting with this tactic even tweaking my own tactics still not getting where i wantED to be but I guess im not a pro tactician i am however good at motivation which is helping me greatly with this game!

Im a mackem so its greatly appreciated ha...If you have a lot of aggressive players maybe just ignore the get stuck in and try hassle oppenents but on the control tactic i have found work into box effective. I rarely use get stuck in now as i think somehow the players learn it regardless of the shout as i still seem to get ball back well without it.

On the control tactic i find the amr/l get down flanks a lot more and cross...this helps when attacking weaker sides...but you still do the triangles as usual...hope you both enjoyed the football it plays at times...but primarily you win ugly...the sunderland way ha

I am also a mackem grixy haha :) I very much enjoy the football it plays I love how the players take the ball straight from the opposition in there own half but im having not so good results with the counter one where the 2 mids at deep line any ideas how to improve that thus far? Keep up the good work bud ill try and find a way around it too..

I am also a mackem grixy haha :) I very much enjoy the football it plays I love how the players take the ball straight from the opposition in there own half but im having not so good results with the counter one where the 2 mids at deep line any ideas how to improve that thus far? Keep up the good work bud ill try and find a way around it too..

I have changed my forward to CF if that makes a difference..but i find changing tactic mid game can keep a lead for ya

Hmm i just got hammered 4 - 0 off wolves.. Bad decisions made by me including not closing down kevin doyle!

I have changed my forward to CF if that makes a difference..but i find changing tactic mid game can keep a lead for ya

Yeh i will keep this in mind mate gonna play a few more matches :)

I always let my assistant do player instructions pre match. He hasnt let me down too many times. Generally its getting the players in the right places. Try STAY ON FEET i did and it seems to work if your getting reds with stuck in

I think i still have the default assistant on who is the good man himself "Steve Walford" Hes not doing what hes paid for ha.. Who am i to replace him with anyone with a good tactics rating e.g. 15+?

I use Stefan Freund. Tactical Knowledge as high as you can mate