grutesk's Technically Okay 4-1-2-3 [13.3] (Major roles: WBs, BP CBs, and In. Fwds)

grutesk

Reaction score
grutesk's BASED GOD 4-1-2-3
with PERFECT iNSiDE FORWARD ROLE

DOWNLOAD LINK

View attachment 371835

View attachment 371973

note: most player instructions are specially customized
. i say this because most "custom tactics" don't really have custom player instructions)

i've been playing FM for years now but have never bothered to share my tactics anywhere. this is my first time sharing and i'm really excited about it. i may not have the reputation of other users who share tactics here, but that doesn't mean my tactic won't bring you success. if you have the right players for it then i'm confident you'll do very, very well.

i've decided to share this one because of several reasons:

• [*=center]i've had reliable success with my liverpool squad, managing to win the premier league 3 times straight beginning in 2013. i won the europa league on penalties in 2013, and won the CL
    [*=center]it has player roles that i think a lot of people love to play with, like wingbacks, ball-playing CBs, poachers, and inside forwards.
    [*=center]it's very user-friendly. i'd even say plug-and-play ready if you have the players necessary for it
the FORMATION

View attachment 368058

at first glance it is a run-of-the-mill 4-3-3 with attacking fullbacks and three midfielders. you have a midfield balanced with a player on Defensive, Supporting, and Attacking duties. the anchor man provides some defensive stability, you've got a supporting CM, and an advanced playmaker set to attack.

then you have three out-and-out strikers. ah, but you say "i thought this had inside forwards? how come there are three out-and-out strikers?!" the "official" player in that pic does not tell the whole story. you'll have to look at the heat map to see what i mean.

View attachment 368130

the STCL and STCR are tequartista in name only. you can think of them as customized inside forwards. i do not like the default inside forward role because the player ends up plays too much like a winger and not enough like a striker. first and foremost, i want goals from these players, and i do not get enough goals from them if they're on the default inside forward role. i set their mentality slider to be very defensive so that they drop deep when in the defensive phase of play, and when the team has the ball they push further forward.

i included the heat map from the analysis tab because it shows the unique positioning of the two outer strikers. this is a better "inside forward" than the original role for attacking left, right, or center midfielders is. the wide strikers in this tactic are at just the right position: they are playing deep enough to be removed from the striker position (they are almost like midfielders), but are tucked centrally enough to provide a direct threat at goal.

the DEFENSIVE FORMATION

when in playing without the ball the formation looks like this:

View attachment 368113

----------------------------
-----------STC-----------
-STCL----------STCL-
-----------------------------
-----BBM--------AP-----
-----------------------------
-------------DM-----------
-WB--CB-----CB-WB-

the OFFENSIVE FORMATION

when playing with the ball in your possession the formation looks like this:

View attachment 368114

--STCL--STC--STCR---
--WB------------------WB--
-------------------AP----------
---------CM-------------------
--------------DM--------------
-------CB----------CB-------

the PASSING

the only thing i'd like to address about the passing is the diversity of sources of key passes. in a good game you should see at least 3 or 4 players with multiple key passes. in one of my most remarkable matches, a 6-3 win against madrid in the champions league final, i had a total of 18 key passes coming from 10 different players, including 5 from defenders!

as i will tell you in the next section, the centerback role has very liberal settings for creativity and passing. in a CL game against a minnow, for example, a CB and FB had 2 key passes each.

the BALL-PLAYING CENTERBACK

below is a sample of the right CB's passing in said game. he attempted 59 passes and completed 40 of them, 2 of which were key passes. (the picture only includes the completed passes, by the way) i include this picture because it illustrates the wide range of passing that the CB needs to be capable of. long, short, and in between, he has to do it all. be sure to notice the high number of forward passes from the CB. far too often i've downloaded a tactic and the so-called "ball-playing defender" only passes sideways or backwards, rather than sending balls forward. you won't see this with my tactic : D

View attachment 368132

below is a screenshot of the passing tab after a full match (it's the same match i've referenced throughout this section). i don't really have anything to say about this; i just thought i'd include it for any curious users out there. the breakdown of key passes is as follows:

cb-right: 2 key passes
leftback: 2 key passes (plus one goal)
adv. playmaker: 1 key pass (plus one goal)
right striker: 2 key passes (plus two goals)
central striker: 2 key passes
left striker: 2 key passes (plus one goal)

View attachment 368135

the CRITICAL ATTRIBUTES

here is when i breakdown what each player needs to have to play well under my tactic.

the FULLBACKS: like terrorism or north korea, they are a constant threat

ok so as you can gather when looking at the defensive and offensive phases, the fullbacks do a lot of moving around. they are your only true "wide" players and will require high workrate and stamina to run from corner to corner all day. i have set wide play to "moves into channels" because that allows them to contribute more to attacks, whether it be with a cross, pass, or shot.

key attributes: work rate, stamina, crossing, tackling, off the ball, acceleration, and pace
suggested but not necessary: passing, teamwork, dribbling, positioning, flair

TRAINING SCHEDULE: wingback or defensive winger. i prefer the defensive winger schedule but both get the job done.

short-term solutions (ready at beginning of game): yury zhirkov (ideal LB), glen johnson (ideal RB), jose enrique, jordi alba, davide santon, schennikov, neil taylor, c. ansaldi, david alaba, lahm
long-term solutions (ready in 2-3 seasons' time): alex grimaldo, gino peruzzi, ryan mclaughlin, alaba, vrsaljko, van rhijn, de cegile, de sciglio, clyne, montoya

the CENTERBACKS: good in the air like a harrier jet, good on the ground like the national post

i've set these guys to be very creative players. along with the fullbacks and wide strikers, these players are the most specialized players that the tactic requires. they are the piques, aggers, ramos, badstubers, and hummels of the world. do not use this tactic if you don't have a player who comfortably fits the ball-playing centerback role.

key attributes: positioning, tackling, marking, heading, jumping, strength, technique, passing, decisions, anticipation, concentration
suggested but not necessary: aggression+bravery, creativity, dribbling, first touch

TRAINING SCHEDULE: ball-playing CB or libero.

ideal short-term solutions: douglas , agger, bonucci, skrtel, ramos, pique, astori

long-term solutions: alessio romagnoli (ideal), davide astori, martin kelly, van rhijn, bruno martins indi

the ANCHORMAN: some midfield muscle

the anchor man stays back all the time. with the fullbacks pushing forward so much it is necessary to create an even balance of attackers and defenders. he is a bit like a 3rd cb and is one of the least specialized roles in this tactic.

TRAINING SCHEDULE:
defensive midfielder

key attributes: strength, stamina, positioning, anticipation, concentration, determination, workrate+teamwork, marking, tackling
suggested but not necessary: passing, creativity, jumping, heading, aggression, bravery

short-term solutions: lucas leiva (ideal), javi martinez, either bender twin, daniele de rossi, busquets, gonalons, sandro, romulo

long-term solutions: koke, alessio romagnoli, lucas romero, varane

the CENTERMID: your jack of all trades

this is pretty much your standard creative CM. he isn't actually a box-to-box midfielder so don't pay any attention to the player role he is set to. all in all this guy is nothing too specialized. he isn't advanced enough to require dribbling or pace, but he plays deep so should be at least a 9, 10, or 11 at positioning, tackling, and marking. -

key attributes: creativity, passing, teamwork, decisions, first touch, technique, decisions, positioning

TRAINING SCHEDULE: box-to-box midfielder. if he lacks creativity then put him on the deep-lying playmaker schedule until his creativity improves. i like the box-to-box schedule because it gives the player a far more diverse skillset.

short-term solutions: lucas leiva, xabi alonso, de rossi, gerrard, lampard, pirlo, ze roberto, etc. etc. etc.
long-term solutions: goretzka (ideal), shelvey (he turns out a bit better in the game than he did IRL, heh :p), will hughes, fernando gomes, ruben pardo

the ADVANCED PLAYMAKER: passing from an advanced position

much like the previous player role, this is a plain ol' advanced playmaker who pretty much sticks to the default player instructions. i haven't done much customizing. nothing too fancy here.

TRAINING SCHEDULE: advanced playmaker.

key attributes: creativity, flair, technique, first touch, passing, teamwork, anticipation, decisions
suggested but not necessary: accel+pace, crossing, long shots, dribbling, agility

short-term solutions: kroos, gerrard, coutinho, giaccherini, marchisio, fernandinho

long-term solutions: suso (ideal), will hughes (ideal), shelvey, goretzka, coutinho, oscar, denis suarez

the INSIDE FORWARDS: because hugging the touchline is for the fullbacks

as i said before, the wide strikers are your inside forwards. they are tucked inside a bit more than the usual inside forward is in FM but that's how i like it and that's how i intended it to be. they are a bountiful source of both assists and goals. as with regular inside forwards, your right one should have a left-footed player and vice versa.

TRAINING SCHEDULE: the trequartista schedule because it trains the player to be more of a supportive and attacking threat. it improves passing, agility, creativity, flair, dribbling, and finishing, which is what you'll need out of a my customized inside forwards. the only thing this schedule doesn't address is acceleration and pace, so if your player lacks either of those then spend a few months focusing his training on quickness!

key attributes: dribbling, passing, acceleration/pace, finishing, off the ball, first touch, anticipation
suggested but not necessary: flair, creativity, teamwork, agility, technique

short-term solutions: luis suarez (ideal), giaccherini, coutinho, bernard, hamsik, c. ronaldo, tevez, muller, neymar, jovetic

long-term solutions (i've had the best results with at least a year of either the advanced forward or complete forward training schedule): alessandro florenzi (ideal with 1-2 years on adv. fwd training schedule), sterling (ideal), suso, stanciu, halilovic, bernard, v. fischer, neymar, jano, julian brandt, goretzka with the right training

the CENTRAL STRIKER: poaches more than an ivory dealer

basically a poacher. i've set his creativity to max so that he moves around as much as possible. i've set his pressing to minimum so that he is always near the goal. since he is playing alongside two other strikers he will occasionally provide some assists.

TRAINING SCHEDULE: the trequartista schedule because it trains the player to be more of a supportive and attacking threat. it improves passing, agility, creativity, flair, dribbling, and finishing, which is what you'll need out of a my customized inside forwards. the only thing this schedule doesn't address is acceleration and pace, so if your player lacks either of those then spend a few months focusing his training on quickness!

key attributes: anticipation, off the ball, finishing, first touch, composure, acceleration/pace
suggested but not necessary: strength, jumping, heading, teamwork+workrate

short-term solutions: leandro damiao (ideal), gomez, soldado, sturridge, yadda yadda yadda, if you don't know of a good poacher by now then look around the Players Forum

long-term solutions (at least 1 year of training on the poacher schedule): samed yesil, adam campbell, timo werner, alen halilovic, or even goretzka with the right training

the TRAINING+MATCH PREP

general training: either "attacking" or "defending" depending on the team
this depends on your teams strengths and weaknesses.

if you are managing a team that is not a guaranteed challenger for the league then you should have the team train on defending. this is a very attack-heavy tactic so if your team is a bit shaky at the back then training on defending can help you out a fair amount. do this at an "average" intensity at the very least"

however, if you have a team that you know will be a contender then go ahead and train under attacking. this will put your team in top gear and ready to take the maximum advantage of this tactic's attacking strategies. again, do this at an "average" intensity at the very least.

match training: "tactics only" until familiarity is reached, then "teamwork"
train your squad to learn "tactics only" until they are familiar with the tactic. you can check this at the bar on the left of the tactics page. after my team is familiar with it i have them train under "teamwork". i use that because this is a very fluid tactic so it is imperative that your team knows to play well as a unit. my personal preference is to only check "allow rest before match". i don't check the box to rest them after the match because i want as few rest days as possible. resting before the match leaves me with a better chance that my team will play the upcoming match on fresh legs. if i know i have another fixture coming up in the next two or three days then i go ahead and manually rest the players who are tired.

SET-PIECES

the only thing i'd like to mention about set pieces is that i have custom settings included. most tactics either ignore set pieces or include unfair corner exploits. my instructions are fair and square. i've set the central striker to challenge keeper on corners and to mark keeper when on free kicks. i did this because if i'm going to score from set pieces, then i'd like it to be one of my strikers. just a personal preference. however, i'd only keep these settings if you have a central striker with good aerial skills. if you don't then set one of the centerbacks to challenge keeper on corners, and to mark keeper on free kicks.

OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS

for opposition instructions just follow your assistant's suggestions unless they are wildly bad choices

shouts: i use none but feel free to use your preferred or tried and tested ones

SAMPLE GOALS

here are a couple of sample goals. i've included goals that were scored and conceded so that you can get a feel for the strengths and weaknesses of this tactic. these are all very simple goals so please don't think that i'm trying to show off or anything. i just want to give everyone a very good look at what comes from using this thing. if you need a bigger view of the gifs then open them in a new tab and press ctrl+f.

here they go:

goal scored by the poacher and assisted by the left striker
this one is, tactically speaking, probably the best of the bunch. it is a goal set up for the central striker (aka poacher, in this case samed yesil) by one of the inside forwards, luis suarez. it begins when burnley's kieran trippier attempts a cross into the box, which my right-sided center back intercepts by jumping up and heading it away. it goes about a dozen yards away and into suarez's direction. suarez remains unmarked as he makes a diagonal run to the center. at this point burnley's right-sided centerback breaks from the backline and tries to take care of him (you'll see this at the very start of the gif). suarez sees yesil unmarked and passes to feet, and yesil has just enough time to put a nice shot between two defenders and past the keeper. you'll see i've included both a diagram as well as an animated gif.

View attachment 368162

View attachment 368151

ibjUBj9jOCcbIM.gif

goal scored by the left forward and assisted by the poacher

with t
his goal jonjo shelvey (left CM) passes to sterling (the right striker), who passes to yesil (central striker). suarez (left striker) makes a run off the ball towards the goal, receives a tidy pass from yesil, and scores a goal from a simple shot in a 1v1 with the keeper. below you will find a diagram as well as an animated gif! note how suarez immaculately destroys their offside trap.
View attachment 368140

iEHmoxtlS4uWh.gif

goal scored by the left forward and assisted by the poacher
here is a goal i scored vs united in the league. i won this match 3-1 with liverpool; two goals were from open play. this one, from open play, is an example of how the central striker can set up a goal with a simple pass to one of the inside forwards. much like the assist in the first goal, the pass was extremely simple. it was pretty much an obvious move for the player to make. when yesil made this goal he only had 11 creativity and 11 passing. you don't need to be xavi to provide the kinds of assists that you see from all 3 strikers. although creativity+teamwork are great to have, it's all really simple stuff that most players are going to be capable of.

View attachment 368147

ifH1dnHtkrYdn.gif

goal scored by the right forward
the right inside forward receives the ball from a deep position and dribbles inside from the right flank past a couple of defenders. soon he arrives at the middle of the penalty area and scores with a clean finish.
View attachment 371937

goal scored by the anchor man and assisted by the rightback

a rare goal scored by the defensive midfielder, this one begins on a fast-paced counter vs barcelona in the CL. i'll let the images do the talking for this one

View attachment 368166

View attachment 368167

imdzeyygPdjeD.gif

goal conceded due to a gaffe by the defense
here is a gif of the goal i conceded against united in the very same match. unfortunately this one is a case of defenders being too fancy and trying to play their way out of trouble. they make a mistake and concede possession dangerously close to the goal. man united's fabio takes advantage of the situation and scores.

ibi22hOkApDQzf.gif

goal conceded due to a well- and quickly-executed attack by southampton
the next goal is one that i conceded to southampton in the league. the play begins with a defensive freekick taken by nathaniel clyne. he lobs a pass to puncheon who darts to the byline and sends a cross to lallana. lallana, marked by rightback glen johnson, is able to score with a quick halfvolley. this goal is a case of poor defending by my fullbacks.

View attachment 368163

iyTJjG4Hi6wx8.gif

goal conceded due to a lack of focus close to the goal
last one! this is a goal i conceded against chelsea in the league. it was towards the end of a game and happened after a throw-in. suarez intercepted the ball but is tackled by azpilicueta. chelsea's adrian gets the ball who passes to andrea poli, who scores with a wonderful finish. diagram+gif include

View attachment 368145

iW9Rp9MsoYP5y.gif

all right, that's all i've got to say. i hope by my tactic helps your team play in the most based way possible. farewell

DOWNLOAD LINK

Last edited:
Could you post some screenshots of your results and the performances of your inside forwards might test with Roma tommorow and post some as of the teams you won the priemieeship with

Last edited:
Could you post some screenshots of your results and the performances of your inside forwards might test with Roma tommorow and post some as of the teams you won the priemieeship with

sure. i'll work on compiling some images that have samples of the inside forwards' passing, shots, dribbles/movement, and heat map (ie, what you see in the analysis tab). is there anything else you'd like to see?

i have only tried this out with liverpool so far. i sold some players to fund player transfers that i could have some more fun with, so it's not the "true" liverpool squad you get by default. the lineup was usually:

----suarez---damiao---sterling----
----------------------------------
--------allen-------gerrard--------
--------------lucas---------------
-zhirkov--agger--douglas--johnson-

EDIT: here is a look into what the inside forwards do

raheem sterling
View attachment 368168
alen halilovic
View attachment 368169

Last edited:
I will give a truy with Hamburg !!Hope have good results!!Wish me luck!!

Almost looks like the Brazil of 2002. Great OP as well, keep up the good work.

Anyone able to download it? says account is not valid? care to share so i can test it?

the download link don't work... can you post another correct link for download?? many thanks;)

I'd love to download this tactic. He just need to activate his account by going in his email

thanks

thanks to nexusn for the download link, i'll test immediately and then refer

ok, for all the testers of this tactic, and of course particularly to the creator: must be used touchline instructions??