WJ

Reaction score
Okay, so after a rather heated discussion, I thought I’d put my money where my mouth is.

THE ISSUE

I encountered one user, who insisted on only 1 way of playing the game. That that was the only “right” way and that you’d get punished by the coding/ME otherwise by (for example) having injuries and cards dealt to the players in “wrong” roles.

I’m in the opposite camp. You can make almost anything work and work well. My current tactic in my only save goes against a lot of what the guide recommends. Still, I’m 52 games unbeaten. My team has conceded the 2nd fewest cards in the league and I only have 2 injuries at the moment. It usually ranges between 0 and 2 or 3. The ME forgot to punish me OR maybe I wasn’t going against the coding enough? It was also suggested that a pressing game won’t work unless I have Very Fluid selected.

----

SETTING UP

I started a new game. It’s on FMC, so I don’t have issues with tactical familiarity. I haven’t used a current Premier League team in a while, but I selected Chelsea.

Now, I went the opposite of the advice I kept being given (to select Very Fluid) and I went Highly Structured. I selected a 4-1-4-1 formation, because that’s what I want/prefer to use to press the opposition.

I tried to do the opposite (or at least different) to what was suggested in the guide.

Position / Recommendation / My choice

GK / Defend / SWK/A
DR / Defend / FB/A
DC / Defend / CD/D
DC / Defend / CD/D
DL / Defend / WB/S
DM / Defend / RGA/S
MR / Support / WM/A
MCR / Support / CM/D
MCL / Support / CM/A
ML / Support / WP/A (I would have gone support, but needed to be different)
ST / Attack / CF/S

Now, firstly, with a back 5 on defend, not much will happen on an attacking front. With a midfield 4 on support, nobody will be providing any penetration. It’s just up to the striker on his on against the backline.

I didn’t give the roles too much thought and I’d need to tweak and add TIs to really perfect it, but it’ll do for the experiment.

TIs: Close Down Much More / Push Higher Up / Stay on Feet / Offside Trap / Prevent Short GK Distribution.

Basically, just chosen to prove that I can press with a Highly Structured tactic.

View attachment 263836

------

WHAT HAPPENED?

I had an easy opening to the season. I just used Instant Result for the opening matches. It got me:

W 5-0 [H] QPR
W 2-0 [A] Leicester City
W 3-0 [H] Hull City
W 2-1 [A] Stoke
L 1-2 [A] Sparta Prague

Then, the big one. Man Utd and Stamford Bridge. I thought I’d watch this one to see the tactic in action.

View attachment 263842

Chelsea v Man Utd (Highly Structured v1)

At 13:00, with the score still 0-0, I changed my DR to WB/A and my DL to WB/A as the double pivot in the middle was quite cautious already. It afforded me to be more attacking down the wings, especially considering United’s shape.

I’d love to take credit for the opening goal, but it was from a set-piece. From here I switched to Key Highlights.

United changed after the goal and aggressively pushed Mata (AMC) up and Rafael at DR. I didn’t change a thing and it cost me a goal. A cross from Rafael to Mata at the near post. After this, I went back to WB/S for my DL.

At 60:00, Oscar was tired and on a yellow, so I brought Hazard into CM/A and brought Willian on at ML (WP/S). I also subbed a tired Costa (CF/S) for Drogba (TM/S).

No luck as the match finished 1-1. United had 60% possession which surprised me. They outnumbered me in midfield, so that’s probably why. We had 19 shots, 12 on target (IIRC) compared to their 12 shots, 3 on target. We had 2 CCCs compared to their 1.

Chelsea v Man Utd (Very Fluid v1)

I reloaded the Autosave and used instant Result again on the Sparta Prague game. This time I won 3-0. On to United.

I decided to switch to Very Fluid. The match played out much the same. Our pressing looked the same. Shape when attacking, pretty much the same although the regista (DM) got forward slightly more. We scored first and in open play. They switched again to an attacking AM and DR. 1-1. This time though, we scored from a long throw, to win the match 2-1.

The match stats look worse though. We had 41% possession (1% more) but only managed 11 shots with only 5 on target, compared to United’s 17 shots and 11 on target. We managed to create 2 CCCs, but also conced 2.

Chelsea v Man Utd (Highly Structured v2)

I decided to go back to my Highly Structured tactic and match vs United. In a Highly Structured setup, Creative Freedom is at a minimum. It asks players to stick to their role, pretty much all the time. I needed more creativity as I’ve selected too many generic roles.

I went for 2x WP/A players on the wing and a CWB/A (instead of FB/A) at DR. I also changed the DM to a RPM/S to be more attacking from deep. All still very much against the guide.

View attachment 263841

This time we won 3-0. We had 49% possession and 26 shots with a poor 11 on target compared to United’s 11 and 5 SoT. We created 2 CCCs and United 0. The pressing still looked the same, but the increased possession was as a result of better support play because of my role changes. The RPM at DM did much better and was so much more aggressive with his movement. The WP/As on the wing also help as they started from deeper and made later runs forward. The playmaker focus also helped pick them out, although a TI could do that for me as well, but the increased creativity helped too.

Chelsea v Man Utd (Very Fluid v2)

Changing to Very Fluid proved little. It ended 4-1 with us 24 (11 SoT) shots vs 6 (3 SoT) shots. We had 47% possession. I don’t even think the fluidity played any part in it as a whole. My role changes were the key thing here.

WHAT DID I LEARN?

There wasn't much, if any, difference in pressing here. United outnumbered my midfield, so always had a man open. I was able to win it on occasions when the ball hadn't reached the midfield yet, but this happened using both fluidities.

Fluidity didn't make much of an impact at all. Not nearly as much as my role and duty selections. Looking at the bigger picture, I'm sure there will be marginal differences though.

WHAT IF?

That brings me to the final point. What if I’d stuck to the guide?

I changed all the duties to those recommended:

View attachment 263843

I saw the striker being completely un-involved in build-up play. He did score though.

I saw the midfield utterly static, standing in a row of 4 with the DM just behind. No pulling defenders/midfielders out of position. No triangles for passing.

I saw the defence contribute absolutely nothing offensively and them being deep and flat-footed.

Hazard was the only one looking dangerous and that’s only because of his PPMs. It finished a pathetic 0-0. 14 shots, 2 SoT vs 16 shots, 2 SoT. 45% possession, but it was mostly crappy short passes between our back 5.

I’d created a horrible tactic. Thanks guide.

This marginally illustrates what I believe.

This is that roles are probably the most important part of setting up tactics.

I'm not really sure if I should laugh or cry at this, so I'll try to remain serious.

A 4-1-4-1 DM isn't supposed to be highly structured. It is missing players in both wide and central attacking midfield, which means there will be gaps. You can get away with that with chelsea and still win, but with a weaker club, the ME would punish you. I would set it up as fluid control. Next, you consulted the guide, and even after that picked roaming roles like wps and cfa? In a h. structured setup? And then just picked cm's in central midfield? The guide says you need to use support duties in midfield, it doesn't restrict you in roles. And you need to balance your midfield. You can go on blindly believing what you want to beleive, but I think you don't really understand the game. Try your tactic with some poorer club, take leicester for example and then play against chelsea or manu. You will then quickly notice what I mean by ME is punishing you for every mistake you make.

Last edited:
This marginally illustrates what I believe.

This is that roles are probably the most important part of setting up tactics.
Don't take this thread too seriously. It's more for my own amusement. I was just trying to show that something else can work as well or even better.

Change that sentence to roles AND duties and I'll fully agree with you. :D

Anyway it seems like I was doing it all wrong!

Don't take this thread too seriously. It's more for my own amusement. I was just trying to show that something else can work as well or even better.

Change that sentence to roles AND duties and I'll fully agree with you. :D

Anyway it seems like I was doing it all wrong!

I sorta got that from the previous posts, on the other threads. I dunno if it's a language barrier or what but there have been lots of times "tactic creation " has been explained to the other person.

And yes you are right i should have included duties.

A 4-1-4-1 DM isn't supposed to be highly structured. It is missing players in both wide and central attacking midfield, which means there will be gaps.

You can play a 4-1-4-1 DM with any shape regardless of which club you are. In the set up WJ has created above without using the guide(without watching the matches) I think there would be no gaps. there might be an issue with width on the left hand side as the WP(a) will come inside looking for the ball, however a wingback on support will provide width in most cases. The right side has two players with an attack duty which should provide a nice overload there. in central attacking midfield there is a CM(a) who will link up play and make penetrating runs and there is also the CF(s) who will drop deep to link up play and then make runs into the box. The CM(d) will sit in and cover which will allow the regista to be more adventurous and try and control the game from deep.

This is also guess work the same as what you have done as I havent watched any of the matches.

I think you don't really understand the game.

You are following one stickied post which is not 100% accurate, yet you say someone who has been helping around here with proper educated advice doesnt really understand the game? Instead of challenging WJ work with him and learn from this experience.

Try your tactic with some poorer club, take leicester for example and then play against chelsea or manu. You will then quickly notice what I mean by ME is punishing you for every mistake you make.

Playing with a poor club with such an aggressive set up will most likely see you get punished by chelsea or man u because of the quality in the squad more than the tactic itself. there is no secret agenda that causes your players to get injured or carded due to roles, duties, warm ups, any of the team talks, any of the media interactions. There is no hidden score that will determine if you win a match before you play in it.

I'm not really sure if I should laugh or cry at this, so I'll try to remain serious.

A 4-1-4-1 DM isn't supposed to be highly structured. It is missing players in both wide and central attacking midfield, which means there will be gaps. You can get away with that with chelsea and still win, but with a weaker club, the ME would punish you. I would set it up as fluid control. Next, you consulted the guide, and even after that picked roaming roles like wps and cfa? In a h. structured setup? And then just picked cm's in central midfield? The guide says you need to use support duties in midfield, it doesn't restrict you in roles. And you need to balance your midfield. You can go on blindly believing what you want to beleive, but I think you don't really understand the game. Try your tactic with some poorer club, take leicester for example and then play against chelsea or manu. You will then quickly notice what I mean by ME is punishing you for every mistake you make.
I understand the game AND football, so I'm one ahead of you. ;)

Actually, the roaming roles were my mistake, so apologies there. They were the two best (most dangerous) players in that tactic though, so if anything, I helped the tactic. But okay, I was wrong there.

Why do I have to select fluid? This is the problem with that guide. It's too rigid. It'll work in it's rigidity, but anything else outside it can too. The tactic I set up was as opposite to the guide as I could make it, I think.

So I can't use a highly structured 4-1-4-1 ever? Why? I have a clear way of wanting to defend - two, compact (because I'm pushing up, but still wide) banks of 4 plus a spare man floating. I want my players to stick to their job/role, 99% of the time. With Fluid, I won't have that. The issue is still, 4 midfielders in any role will be static.

Can I go Counter with that formation?

If I wanted to play a highly structured or structured 4-4-2, would both strikers need to be on Attack then? All 4 midfielders on Attack too?

-------

Look, it's a decent attempt at a guide, but under very strict rules. There's no room for any thinking for yourself or creating anything. I don't have a problem with the guide. I'm sure it works, within very strict rules and set boundaries.

-------

I'm busy moving house, but when I can, I'll test this more.

-------

BTW, the Leicester example is stupid. I wouldn't set up a Control, aggressive pressing tactic against Man Utd and Chelsea. The ME will punish me for being way to open, with poor players than the opposition's world class players - so I'll get "punished" for footballing reasons not because I didn't sacrifice a goat at the volcano.

I should add, although this thread is semi-serious (for me) I am hoping to generate discussion, rather than arguments. So if you don't agree with what I've done, as the title says - guide me. :p

Whoever said Pressin needs Fluid is clueless.. I went unbeaten in the Liga BBVA (Valencia, Third Season) using a pressing style using Attacking/Structured tactic

Whoever said Pressin needs Fluid is clueless.. I went unbeaten in the Liga BBVA (Valencia, Third Season) using a pressing style using Attacking/Structured tactic
Honestly, I'll agree with the very fluid theory somewhat. It's based, I assume, on the theory that everyone has the same mentality so will press the same and more as a unit. That's fine in theory and if set up right, will work great.

What irks me, is that people saying other setups won't work or as well. It will work, it's just a matter of setting up right - same as everything really.

I didn't read the linked article yesterday, but I highly doubt the writers would have said that.

Honestly, I'll agree with the very fluid theory somewhat. It's based, I assume, on the theory that everyone has the same mentality so will press the same and more as a unit. That's fine in theory and if set up right, will work great.

What irks me, is that people saying other setups won't work or as well. It will work, it's just a matter of setting up right - same as everything really.

I didn't read the linked article yesterday, but I highly doubt the writers would have said that.

I do agree with you, Every kind of setup works, just has to have to correct roles and TI's. For years i was told to ALWAYS use a Holding Mid (Proper holding role, not that BWM BS) and this year created a tactic with no Midfielder on Defend duties (coincidentally it was the Valencia tactic i went unbeaten with) and it worked fantastic

When it comes to Pressing i feel Structured is more suited just because i'm pressing very high up the pitch i want my players to have a very well defined role, i don't want them wandering around if that makes any sense

I do agree with you, Every kind of setup works, just has to have to correct roles and TI's. For years i was told to ALWAYS use a Holding Mid (Proper holding role, not that BWM BS) and this year created a tactic with no Midfielder on Defend duties (coincidentally it was the Valencia tactic i went unbeaten with) and it worked fantastic

When it comes to Pressing i feel Structured is more suited just because i'm pressing very high up the pitch i want my players to have a very well defined role, i don't want them wandering around if that makes any sense
Oh, wow. Not using a holding midfielder, whether it's a DM or CM, is something I'd heavily advise against. It's less necessary in a 3 man defence of course. Even with a 2/4 man defence, if you set up very well (pressing, I'm sure) while playing a very high block, it could work.

I'd be very interested to see how you set yours up.

Oh, wow. Not using a holding midfielder, whether it's a DM or CM, is something I'd heavily advise against. It's less necessary in a 3 man defence of course. Even with a 2/4 man defence, if you set up very well (pressing, I'm sure) while playing a very high block, it could work.

I'd be very interested to see how you set yours up.

I'll post the tactic here after i get back from Practice.. But basically i was using a Regista, a Ball winning Mid and an Enganche

I'll post the tactic here after i get back from Practice.. But basically i was using a Regista, a Ball winning Mid and an Enganche
Sounds like it was a 2x DM setup then? That is probably why. The Regista (from what I've seen in the OP) doesn't venture that far forward to be a complete liability defensively. Having a high line would help too. I'm also guessing that the BWM put enough pressure on the ball carriers to allow your defenders (Regista included) to get back.

Sounds like it was a 2x DM setup then? That is probably why. The Regista (from what I've seen in the OP) doesn't venture that far forward to be a complete liability defensively. Having a high line would help too. I'm also guessing that the BWM put enough pressure on the ball carriers to allow your defenders (Regista included) to get back.

View attachment 263071 View attachment 263070

View attachment 263069

Note that i would sometimes switch to a more possesion game, i would also take away Play Narrower if i was having a hard time breaking down a defense (Didn't have to do it) many times and in the tough Away games i didn't use this tactic

Last edited:
The whole point was to put as much pressure as possible on the opponent and those roles sounded perfect to me, i even started with Defesive Wingers but that didn't work.. I wonder how a Shadow Striker would work in this tactic, since according to the role description he's going to press as soon as we lose possesion or something along those lines

The whole point was to put as much pressure as possible on the opponent
That would be the key, as I said. The intense closing down on the ball carrier would have helped your Regista get back because there wouldn't be time to pick an easy pass forward.

That would be the key, as I said. The intense closing down on the ball carrier would have helped your Regista get back because there wouldn't be time to pick an easy pass forward.
Is there any particular guides you would suggest reading to make a solid tactic for your team?