Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBetterHalf

Patient Moderator
Reaction score
The Training

The main Team Training screen is presented as below:

30607729.png

The immediate next three weeks are laid out day-by-day in calendar form, displaying what's planned on a weekly basis and how your match schedule falls into place around your training schedule. From here, you're able to set up exactly how you want to approach the short and medium term fixture list.

Gone are the days of devising and creating a series of schedules for players to train under. The entire focus now is on the team as a group and how they work towards each match.

Across the top of the screen are three main sections

General Training
Scheduling
Match Training

'General Training' allows you to set up a Default Focus and Intensity for how the team should work as a rule of thumb. Select one area for the team to generally work on, and determine how hard you want them to work at it.

The 'Scheduling' slider tweaks how much you want to adopt a match-by-match approach compared to an overall focus on your own team. In effect, this controls how concerned you are about matching the opposition and attempting to annul their strengths or exploit their weaknesses compared to how much you want to accentuate your own team's positives and take the initiative.

The 'Match Training' section allows you to set a specific focus area to work on in the immediate days before each match, as well as whether you want to include rest days before and after matches.

Once you've set up your general approach, you can then delve into the more intricate details of the weekly approach. If you decide that a particular upcoming fixture requires special attention, then you can choose to alter the Focus for that week and override your default 'General Training' instructions. Each Focus has its own colour code on the calendar layout, providing visual confirmation of the changes you've made.

The day before each match (or the two days before if you move the 'Scheduling' slider towards 'More Match Training') is designated to Match Preparation. This has previously resided in the Tactics section, but has now been fully integrated into the Training section. If you feel the need to deviate from your General and Weekly Focus in a bid to pay even greater attention to detail for a specific opponent, now's the time to do so.

By presenting three weeks of the schedule at a time, you're able to keep abreast of the nuances in your fixture list and how it might affect your players. A light schedule of one match per week or fewer might invite an opportunity to work on one area with a greater intensity and can provide great progress in a short period of time.

However, if you're faced with a backlog of matches with as many as three per week, you might not have the time nor the physical capability within the squad to do anything other than work on your own game and attempt to preserve the squad's fitness as best possible.

Individual Players

Whilst the focus on individual schedules has gone, you can still work on areas of individual players' games and attempt to refine their profiles. Professional players tend to train together in groups - either as a whole team or within their general positions - on a day to day basis and work to refine a particular aspect of their game outside of this time; either scheduled by the coaches or of their own volition.

The 'Individual' sub-tab presents your squad; select a player's table row to bring up his Training Report on the right hand side of the screen.

From here, you can set up a new Individual Training Focus or begin training them in a New Position and adjust their Intensity at which they work on their additional craft. Advice and updates from your coaching staff is offered on all of this, beginning with a breakdown of the percentage of their additional time being spent on each area.

The 'Individual Training Focus' aspect of development allows you to target a specific area of a player's attribute profile and focus extra work on it.

For example, you may have a talented defender who is lacking a bit in the heading department. In order to try and address this, you can select 'Heading' as an individual focus. If it's particularly weak, increasing the intensity will request that he works at it harder and for a longer period of time.

You can keep track of the effect this is having, if at all, by clicking on 'View Attribute Development'. Select a 'Training Category' from the drop-down menu to label the appropriate attributes for that area in different colours, which area also plotted on the graph at the bottom to show month-by-month progress.

Coaches
The 'Coaches' tab, available from the tabs in the bottom panel, controls how your coaching staff handles training. Each coach is, by default, assigned to work in every aspect of training, unless they are of a specific type (i.e. goalkeeping or fitness), in which case they are restricted to that area only.

Each member of your backroom staff is likely to be particularly proficient in a particular aspect of training. If this is the case, it is worthwhile to assign them to this/these area(s) only. Proficiency in an aspect of training is graded on a star rating, one star being poor whilst five stars are excellent.

A higher number of stars will increase the effectiveness of the training schedules on your players. A coach with high attributes in key areas who is only assigned to coach categories he is strong in will result in a much better training schedule.

In order for your coaches to be as useful as possible to you in your training schedules, you should endeavour to find the correct attributes required for more stars in their area of training.

Strength: Coaches should have a high Fitness rating.
Aerobic: Coaches should have a high Fitness rating.
Goalkeeping: Coaches should have a high Coaching Goalkeepers rating.
Tactics: Coaches should have a high Tactical rating.
Defending: Coaches should have high ratings in Coaching Defending and Tactical.
Ball Control: Coaches should have high ratings in coaching Technical and Mental.
Attacking: Coaches should have high ratings in coaching Attacking and Tactical.
Shooting: Coaches should have high ratings in coaching Attacking and Technical.

Youth
Everything in this section applies to Youth Training. Your youth team players will train together, but bear in mind that as younger players who are still physically developing, intensities will behave differently and you may have to balance and fine-tune things a bit more accurately to get the best out of them. Your senior coaches may work with the youth team in addition to youth team coaches if you wish to give them the benefit of their strengths and experience, whilst youth players may be invited to train with the first team should you wish them to do so (by promoting them into a squad above the youth team).

Full online manual found here
http://www.footballmanager.com/manual/fm2013

Last edited:
This part did not seem to be in the manual, so I will have to write it.

Individuall Focus - A role

When chosing a role, it means that the player focus a little extra on the key stats for the role. Here, you have a player that is focusing on becoming a more suitable Ball playing Defender.

93225031.png

I have players that have a "Heavy" workload and are complaining about it. Where would I adjust this?

So you can't make your own training schedules anymore? Bummer

All individuall training is now on top Of the main training. Could this be it ?

It's possible. I changed the default intensity in the General training to low. But now what I get is some players with "Medium" workload and some players with "Heavy" workload. It appears the "Heavy" workload training guys are guys that are working on preferred moves. I guess you would think that setting General Training to "Average" would mean a "Medium" setting for your players. When I had it on medium then players were given Heavy workload and getting a lil ticked off. Still playing with it but hopefully can find the right combo here soon. Glad to have to do all this before the game comes out.

I personally have ALL Of My players to à individuall " role" training so for me, I keep everyone on à healthy workload.

No, you have to talk you one Of your coaches about each player separately. After all, they give you pretty good advice on if its à good idea or not.

My idea, was to give those instructions to a handful of players, to create a game philosophy. Im using a self made/"still in Beta" tactic, that will need some PPM and it would be great to to that. But if i still have to go one by one, so be it.

Just as a note, i'm trying to give the same PPMs to the players that do the same position, even the reserve squad. This way i can introduce new young players in the game without harming the team style.

My idea, was to give those instructions to a handful of players, to create a game philosophy. Im using a self made/"still in Beta" tactic, that will need some PPM and it would be great to to that. But if i still have to go one by one, so be it.

Just as a note, i'm trying to give the same PPMs to the players that do the same position, even the reserve squad. This way i can introduce new young players in the game without harming the team style.

Thats exactly what I did in FM12. I mostly used Tutoring option for this though.

I'm playing as Portsmouth at the moment. Doing well in the league (despite several financial constraints of which I'm sure you're all aware of lol) sitting 6th, but I'm leaking goals for fun. I always concede early on and have to battle back. I also seem to concede from every attacking set piece the oppostion have. I've set my default training to focus on defensive and same for match prep but its making no difference? Maybe Michalik and Gyepes are just s***, but can anyone suggest anything? Thanks a lot.

Thats exactly what I did in FM12. I mostly used Tutoring option for this though.

Didn't used Tutoring as i don't like to have players with more than 29-30, except keepers.

What i didn't figure is the amount of PA that a player looses by learning those PPMs. This brings the discussion to when should the PPMs be trained/learned.

IMO, from 14 to 18 (or under 18's team), they should go all physical
19 to 22 or B-team) - technical
23 to 30 - mental (and the PPMs should go here, because you have maxed the PA)
31 to infinite - physical again.

So, if i want to use PPMs on younger kids, will i cut on their evolution? Or should i sacrifice PA to get a more fluid team game, with "worst" players?

Another thing that i would like to discuss: I think that the training guide should talk about:

Under 18's training focus: if you should focus on mental, physical or technique.
Reserve/B-team: same as before

Leaving the main training schedule to whatever we want.

I'm playing as Portsmouth at the moment. Doing well in the league (despite several financial constraints of which I'm sure you're all aware of lol) sitting 6th, but I'm leaking goals for fun. I always concede early on and have to battle back. I also seem to concede from every attacking set piece the oppostion have. I've set my default training to focus on defensive and same for match prep but its making no difference? Maybe Michalik and Gyepes are just s***, but can anyone suggest anything? Thanks a lot.

Should check concentration on the defenders and midfielders and make sure that your team talk makes them more focus, so they enter the pitch with the head in the game.

For the set pieces, IMO, its important to see anticipation and positioning. I havent changed mines, they are all on default, but i'm still on pre season, so can't help more, sry.

Didn't used Tutoring as i don't like to have players with more than 29-30, except keepers.

What i didn't figure is the amount of PA that a player looses by learning those PPMs. This brings the discussion to when should the PPMs be trained/learned.

IMO, from 14 to 18 (or under 18's team), they should go all physical
19 to 22 or B-team) - technical
23 to 30 - mental (and the PPMs should go here, because you have maxed the PA)
31 to infinite - physical again.

So, if i want to use PPMs on younger kids, will i cut on their evolution? Or should i sacrifice PA to get a more fluid team game, with "worst" players?

Another thing that i would like to discuss: I think that the training guide should talk about:

Under 18's training focus: if you should focus on mental, physical or technique.
Reserve/B-team: same as before

Leaving the main training schedule to whatever we want.

I dont think that ppms has ever taken up any CA-points or has effected à players chance to reach his PA. After all, ppms are NOT skills, they are traits/preferences on the field. Just because à player " learns" à PPM does not mean he is good at it.

I dont think that ppms has ever taken up any CA-points or has effected à players chance to reach his PA. After all, ppms are NOT skills, they are traits/preferences on the field. Just because à player " learns" à PPM does not mean he is good at it.

Playing and training raises the CA, and if we take a part of training to learn the PPM that raising is cut. In fm12, a player making 30 games per season raised between 10 and 20 points of CA (in main squad. If in reserve B-Team the increase turns to 5 to 10 and in the under 18's raises about 5).

If we cut training to put some time learning PPMS, someone with 18 years old should be cut in CA about 2 to 3 points. In 4 seasons, it's 8 to 12 points. If the PA is 180, the player could only achieve 168, witch is not bad but not the same.

Maybe im being too detailed, but again, it's in the details that we win, right?

Playing and training raises the CA, and if we take a part of training to learn the PPM that raising is cut. In fm12, a player making 30 games per season raised between 10 and 20 points of CA (in main squad. If in reserve B-Team the increase turns to 5 to 10 and in the under 18's raises about 5).

If we cut training to put some time learning PPMS, someone with 18 years old should be cut in CA about 2 to 3 points. In 4 seasons, it's 8 to 12 points. If the PA is 180, the player could only achieve 168, witch is not bad but not the same.

Maybe im being too detailed, but again, it's in the details that we win, right?

I get what you are saying, but learning a ppm won't take away that much time. The player simply has to work slightly harder during a couple of months.

I must confess that I have never looked at the CA with an editor/fmscout so I never know how much CA a player has raised, only if he had got better stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.