Gunning for Glory: An Arsenal Story

• Thread starter Thread starter Mckergan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 57
  • Views Views 18K
Fantastic m8, haha... proper loving him turning into a pisshead and having a bit of a stare. lol. Good move. Keep it up mac, you got a flair for this m8. Well done bud.

cheers mate! glad your enjoying it ;)

Chapter 15

The return!

“Get a ******* grip son, this is what you’ve been working towards, now grab it with both hands”

My mum slammed the phone down and that was it, not a goodbye or anything, straight to the point, that was her all right, she had always been like that, no messing about. It was time to take a leaf from her book, I had to get myself sober, a full week had past since I was last in work.

I glanced in the mirror in the bathroom to see a scruffy, hard-to-look-at image before my eyes. What had I done to myself? I’m in charge of one of the most decorated football teams in the country and I’m drinking my life away. Luckily it was a club who backed me, and an assistant who would cover for me while I was away in recovery.

What started with a simple shave, ended in total rehabilitation, it was something I needed to do in order to get back to my old self. I wanted this so bad, and for Arsène to believe in me from the beginning was truly something I had to adhere to.

Looking in the mirror now compared to half an hour ago was two completely different images. I was reformed into a football manager once again, something I had missed for a full week due to a bottle of whiskey.

It was now time for work.

First of all, I had a number to dial.

“Boro Primorac? Get the players ready, I’m coming back, today!”

Boro: “Y-y-yes boss”

You could tell by that one sentence he was stunned to hear a clear voice from me on the phone for the first time.

Pulling up outside the training ground and seeing this place was the best feeling I had experienced in a long time, to be back at such a wonderful club, it’s what it was all about. For the first time in my career, I had butterflies. Making my way towards the players only made the butterflies get stronger, I thought my stomach was about to explode, but it was a good feeling, I had got my ambition back and I was ready to fight tooth and nail for this club.

Looking up I could see the players gathered on the pitch, waiting for me to approach. What do I say to them all? I’ve let them down, I’ve let the club down, the staff, everyone?

Robin: “Good to have you back boss”

“Thanks Robin, first of all though, I want to say thank you for your support lads, this…has certainly been a tough week for us all. Most of all you guys, you’ve had to put up with my assistant for a full week.”

Laughter surrounded the pitch; it’s what was so good about this club. Serious when needed, and full of laughter when not.

“On a serious note; I am sorry to everyone, you guys and especially the club for everything, I hope you can all forgive me for my actions.

Now back to football, this week is going to prove difficult, we have both legs of the Champions League against FC Twente and in-between a match away at Villa. Let’s get knuckled down and put in the hard work now lads, before its too late.”

The players ran off to train, unknown to them I had a rigorous meeting with the owner lined up.

To be continued..

Comments/Constructive Criticism and Feedback are all welcome..

Thank you for taking the time to read so far..Plenty more updates to follow

As you can see from my last update i can unfortunately not keep up with lengthy updates due to being so busy with other commitments.

However, i will try to update on a monthly game basis with basic updates for you all who are still interested in the story.

Sorry to disappoint anyone!

Monthly Update: August 11"

The beginning of the season was always going to be tricky, and exciting at the same time, and it certainly didn't disappoint!

QPR vs Arsenal - Loftus Road
13/8/11

View attachment 249322

All in all a pretty solid result for the opening day of the season. Dominated from start to finish basically and took the 3 points away from Loftus Road while in the process not letting them have a shot on target! Shows the amount of domination by the man of the match award!

Final Score: QPR 0:2 Arsenal

Goalscorers: Theo Walcott, RvP
MoM:
Paddy Kenny.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Arsenal vs FC Twente - The Emirates
17/8/11

View attachment 249319

Seeing the game before hand i thought it may have been tricky but we cruised through the game with gears to spare.
Truly a game that had to be won in the middle of the park early on and this was evidenced by the amount of chances we created throughout the match.

Not a dirty match by any means, but certainly not a clean one with 10 yellows and a red. Player they got sent off was on the pitch for approx 11 minutes.

Final Score: Arsenal 2:0 FC Twente

Goalscorers: RvP x2
MoM:
RvP

Arsenal vs Aston Villa - The Emirates
20/8/11

View attachment 249320

The scoreline says it all really. A match we dominated from start to end barely giving them a sniff of the action all day. Erick Torres come off the bench to make his debut and scores a diving header to cap an excellent debut in the Premier League. 20 efforts, 13 on target all in all.

Final Score: Arsenal 7:0 Villa

Goalscorers: Walcott x3, Gervinho, Hamsik, RvP, Torres
MoM:
Theo Walcott

FC Twente vs Arsenal - Grolsch Veste
24/8/11

View attachment 249323

A very different 2nd leg to the 1st. Much tougher playing away from home against FC Twente but we expected this before the game began. We definately rode our luck in the first half, we just keep up with their direct style of play. Before we knew it we were 1:0 down and it looked like we were going into half-time that way until Captain Fantastic RvP stepped up with a 40 yard free kick bulleted into the top left hand corner.

It came to the 55th and Walcott just wasnt performing as he should, i made a split decision, after Torres playing well in the last match on his debut, i threw him in at the deep end and boy did it pay off. 2 goals sealed the win and sent us through to the real Champions League.

Final Score: FC Twente 1:3 Arsenal
agg:1:5

Goalscorers: RvP, Torres x2
MoM:
Torres

Liverpool vs Arsenal - Anfield
27/8/11

View attachment 249321

Both sides went into this game unbeaten and it showed. Both sides not wanting to come out on the losing. However, it didn't stop some sublime football with top quality moves and it was only a matter of time before one of us got a break. It ended up being us as the lucky team with a deflection dropping to Marek Hamsik and he doesn't miss those. We were 1 up and it would stay that way for the remainder of the game.

Final Score: Liverpool 0:1 Arsenal

Goalscorer: Hamsik
MoM: Hamsik

August 11' Player of the Month!

View attachment 249347
Theo Walcott

5 Apps: 4 Goals 1 Assist

Hat-rick tipped it for me overMarekHamsik

View attachment 249341

Newcastle and Aston Villa dumped out of the Carling Cup second round by Morecambe and Rotherham respectively.

Arsenal handed draw at Molineux to Wolves!

To be continued..

Thank you for taking the time to read so far..Plenty more updates to follow..

Any opinions on the new layout folks?

Forgot to add in the league table and show you the fixtures for the past month. Will add them in the next update!

Love the lay out, hope you keep up with the old style sometimes too though!!

Love the lay out, hope you keep up with the old style sometimes too though!!

Thanks Sam91. Yeh i'll try to include some of those bits but probably not much, very busy at the minute so its hard getting the time to be creative!

View attachment 250287

"Arsenal announce shock new signing on deadline day"

The yellow flashing bar across the bottom of my TV screen on Sky Sports News was all i could look at.

"Arsenal complete signing of Sime Vrsaljko for undisclosed fee!"

The picture of the man who we just signed flashed upon the screen.

View attachment 250295
Sime Vrsaljko

"Wait, Wait, Wait...? We did ******* what?"

"Theresa, get me ******* Stan Kroenke..NOWW!!" i slammed the phone down, i was livid, not giving her a chance to respond.

It must have been ten minutes later, and what felt like 5 mile i had just walked around the room, pacing myself thinking of what i would say to Stan.

Secretary (Theresa): "Steven, Mr. Kroenkes on the other line."

Ahhh..Stan, what in honours god do you think your doing'? Going behind my back, the clubs back and signing players who you, for sure as god, do not know the first thing about?

Stan Kroenke: "I own this club Steven, I'll do what i want, when i want, and sure as ****, how i want, do i make myself clear?"

Quite frankly, No you ******* don't Stan, you said at the start you wanted this club to move forward, if you want that, you have to let me and my staff take control, you cant be interfering in everything, signing players you think will work in our system. let me do my job and you do yours which is pumping money into this club, when and how much i want. You do this, and we'll be sweet Stan.

I pressed the big red telephone symbol on my mobile, and that was it, the phone was down..end of conversation. I may have been harsh, but i said what i felt and if you can't do that, your in the wrong line of work.

But i had to make one more phone call still...much more of a nicer call to a degree.

I began to dial the number...

"Theresa...Sorry for losing my temper, i was just so angry."

Theresa: "Don't worry about it Steven, I understand" She said with a subtle tone to her voice.

i couldn't help but feel intrigued by her voice, waiting to hear more and more of it, i said; "Can i get a coffee please?"

Wait, what? Can i get a coffee please? Who says that? God I've lost my touch.

To be continued..

Thank you for taking the time to read so far..Plenty more updates to follow..

Absolutely amazing start. Try to use youre old detailed form against Man utd, Tottenham, finals etc. I will definataly follow.

Absolutely amazing start. Try to use youre old detailed form against Man utd, Tottenham, finals etc. I will definataly follow.

Thanks mate..appreciate your comments alot! Yeh that's personally what i was thinking..just use detailed for big games and as you say finals also. Thanks for the follow also mate!

This is great, keep up the good work mate.

Only seen the thread today, but well worth reading every post.

Back