Martino

Reaction score
So playing with only a single defender seems to be an honourable suicide, but somehow this tactic works really well and is great fun to watch.
It's high tempo, gegenpressing, and closing down all spaces for the opposition to play in.
It was very important for me to create a tactic that doesnt rely on crosses as most tactics do, and it gets kinda boring in the end because of the match engine. So this tactic creates alot of through balls instead.

GK. Good sweeper keeper. Neuer is the player that comes to mind.
DC. Must be FAST and STRONG. A good allrounder. This player will get high ratings!
IWB. Left IWB must be right or both footed and vice versa. I use creative inside forward kind of players for this role. In my Bayern save Douglas Costa is killing it as right IVB. If you want this player to score more goals then shoots from distance is a good PPM. Gets forward whenever possible, runs with ball and cuts inside from flank are other good PPMs.
DLP - Just a good holding midfielder with great passing and tackle abilities. Work rate is important too.
Anchorman - Kind of the same as the DLP. Good in the air might come in handy here as well.
BBM - A dynamic player like Vidal, Rode, Alaba from Bayern are good examples. Good at closing down players
CM - The same as the BBM. Maybe have a more creative and fast player here.
IF - Needs to be fast, good at finishing. Run into channel is a great PPM as well as Cuts inside from left flank.
SS - Needs to be fast and creative. Robben shines here in my Bayern save. Runs into channels is very important as well as one-twos

Guess thats it. Training when tactic is fluid has to be def.positioning. Opp instructions are VERY IMPORTANT!!

Will post results later.

Harakiri_7E882395-2DAA-42F8-8E9B-3BB8E759D588

View attachment 126100View attachment 126099View attachment 126098

Last edited:
center midfield is jamming,& no width.
maybe too narrow.

i know you hate crossing,but no need ban that 100%.

center midfield is jamming,& no width.
maybe too narrow.

i know you hate crossing,but no need ban that 100%.

You can always change the one of the IVB to a regular wb or have the inside forward play as a winger, if you want to have more crosses. I just tried to create something that was very different from most other tactics here.

But I cant decide on which roles is the best for the two DMs. Right now i'm using anchorman and halfback combo.

Last edited:
maybe you can try other mentality,choose mentality depend on opponents

very good tactic,but some time you need "plan B".

very good tactic,but some time you need "plan B".

yes. Sometimes you'll need a plan b, so it's good to have tweaked variations of it in the other two tactic slots. Just thought it was quite fun that a tactic can work with only one defender. Let me know if you have some good tweaks.

Looks fun but ****, its unorthodox shape really does force you as a manager to do a complete overhaul of pretty much any squad in any team. Just using one cb and no real strikers means that in a squad with the common four cbs, two of those got to go basically and same goes for all your more traditional strikers i guess (cant see Giroud in any of the roles suggested in the tactic for example).
And you need to either train your wingbacks to use their other foot (quite rare to have a left wb who is right footed and vice versa) or you need to train your wingers to become wb.

A LOT of work. Question is: is it worth it? The tactic better be a masterpiece.

Looks fun but ****, its unorthodox shape really does force you as a manager to do a complete overhaul of pretty much any squad in any team. Just using one cb and no real strikers means that in a squad with the common four cbs, two of those got to go basically and same goes for all your more traditional strikers i guess (cant see Giroud in any of the roles suggested in the tactic for example).
And you need to either train your wingbacks to use their other foot (quite rare to have a left wb who is right footed and vice versa) or you need to train your wingers to become wb.

A LOT of work. Question is: is it worth it? The tactic better be a masterpiece.

haha. Thats true. To be honest the tactic might perform better with two cbs. I just thought it was fun to make a single defender tactic work. And yes you do have to retrain players, but hey it'll make you feel like you're Guardiola ;) You can also use a left footed player as left inverted wingback for instance, it just kinda kills the idea.

Probably most crazy formation I have seen posted online, I must try it :D

I have had similar ideas, but have little to no success... I was thinking as well that you could use this shape as deeper variation, and have SW there and all other players to move back for one position, , to use it against stronger opponents, and instead of two IWB-s and INF-s, to change on different sides to wingers and WB-s. in order to make transition faster.

It would be basically same principals, but inverted idea, less pressure, better zonal coverage, and fast paced attacks from all over place.... It would be some variation of catenaccio...

I can see this formation work in offence, but I am more interested to see how it is working defensively, as this was huge problem with all formations I used with one CB, or with SW as well...

You use bayern and you still lose 2 games....so it is a fun to play tactics...a winner tactics, I don't think so.

Try it with Hoffenheim or Hamburg