Harris' 4-1-1-3-1 with Arsenal. Advice welcome :-)

Harris4Ips

Reaction score
I have been racking my brains the last few weeks trying to find the right formula for a successful 4-2-3-1 system.

I found a system which worked really well but not consistently.

I then found "Spankys 424" and gave that a whirl to no avail.

Im not sure if im making the wrong transfers or anything like that, but i thought id create this manager story where i can show all the steps i take in the beginning of the game.

If anybody has advice for anything im doing along the way, that is ideally what im looking for. To improve my FM gaming experience.

So this is the tactic i intend on using and training for fluidity.

View attachment 314233View attachment 314234

If youve started a save with Arsenal you'll be aware that the board expect you to play attacking football, possession based and develop younger players.

Ive struggled finding a successful possession tactic so far, and have only really well done well when playing a more direct style of football.

To adhere to the boards demands this is why im now playing *shorter passing and lower tempo.

*retain possession is often favoured for possession football. But in my eyes it can waste alot of time from my experience so its only something il be using when ive taken a 2 or 3 goal lead.

I haven't chosen *more expressive, pass into space , roam from positions or work into the box as i don't want to disrupt the shape of my formation too much. I feel the formation has good balance in attack and providing cover defensively.

I haven't selected *Close down more either as i feel it pulls players well out of position giving space for opposing attacking players in and behind my defensive players.

*push higher up, tight marking and offside trap i feel work well for a team looking to win the ball back high up the pitch whilst also catching out the counter long balls for the opponents.

I'm not sure if *tight marking is the way forward? I have now started to wonder if it would be worth selecting tight marking through player instructions for certain positions PRE GAME??

Player Instructions are as follows;

GK d - pass it shorter , fewer risky passes

R & L WB s - shoot less often , pass it shorter , cross from byline , stay wider , run wide with ball
* ive chosen shoot less often as ive found in the last few FMs the wingbacks tend to shoot quite alot. To be honest their main role in my eyes to provide that width, provide crosses for the onrushing forwards or even lay the ball off to a more creative player in a better position.

CB - no player instructions set.

DLP d - pass it shorter

AP s - pass it shorter

R W s - Cross from byline
* Id normally like two inside forwards either side of the pitch. But this is the one change im going to make. Perhaps to give a bit more variation in more play. Oxlade in this case is more suited to a RW role than an inside forwards role.

SS a - Shoot more often , pass it shorter

L IF s - pass it shorter , sit narrower
* sit narrower as his main job is to cut inside and provide another attacking option. Creating room to gibbs to get into and cross in the box.

TM s - pass it shorter
* i normally choose an adv forward in this tactic, but ive decided to give TM a go, especially as Giroud is more suited to that role.

Before each game, depending on how good the passing and vision is of a player i shall be selecting whether plays more risky passes or fewer risky passes.

I like more risky passes sometimes as when you have a player who is very creative he can pick out a pass other players often fail to.

In the long run id like to train my players to become able to play with more risky passes.

AGAIN GUYS
, please, if im talking nonsense or you see a flaw in my tactic please give me your feedback and possibly a way of fixing it.
Positive feedback or constructive criticism is always welcome.

TEAM AND TRANSFERS

Looking at my 1st and 2nd teams, which il be rotating through my pre season, im actually quite happy with my 1st team.

Ozil is a player who is undoubtedly a world class player, but i dont feel he is majorly suited to my attacking roles. He is however completely suited to the ADV playmaker role. So i will have to retrain him to CM.

Cazorla is good player but i dont feel he is going to be good enough for the roles i have in my side.
From my experience so far aswell he always under performs so L IF is a position il be looking to find a new player.

Gibbs is decent and can still improve. But LWB is another position il be looking to improve.

Mertesacker's pace in my eyes lets him down a little bit. But for the time being im happy with him to be a first team player and will instead be looking to find young potential CBs who i can rotate.

A back up goalkeeper is something i feel i need. Ospina im not sure of, and Martinez i dont feel is good enough.
Szczesny is a solid goakeeper and i dont find goalkeepers get injured too often. So il leave that department how it is for now until a decent goalkeeper for a good price comes available.

There are a few players il be looking to move on straight away and raise some transfer funds as i look to improve the 1st team and provide more depth with young potential players.

Players il be looking to move on;

Ramsey - Offer to clubs for £50m
Podolski - Offer to clubs for £20m
Campbell - Offer to clubs for £20m
Monreal - Offer to clubs for £9m
Cazorla - Offer to clubs for £20m

Players looking to bring in;

LWB

Marcelo - world class left back who i know is in his last year of contract. I believe i can get him for around £16m. Gibbs can then be my rotating lb.

CB's

Balanta - an absolute must on all fm saves. And you can pick him for a bargain £7-9m.

Stones - near on world class player already. I can get him for about £15-20m. Would provide could back up as a RB or CB. But il be looking to pair him up with Balanta in the future and having Chambers at RB.

DM

Khedira - He is also in his last year of his contract and i know i can get him for around £17-19m. Would be a decent solid DM and would pair up well with his German counter part Mesut Ozil.
This would mean Wilshere being dropped. But with him still being young and fairly susceptible to injuries. Its a chance for him to build on that through rotating him in and out.

CM

Tielemans - becomes an absolute beast of a centre midfielder. I believe i can sign him for around £7-15m.
Initially il look to let him spend the rest of the season at Anderlecht.
Wondering whether it would be best to bring him straight to me and loan out to an english club so he can learn English fluently.
In Flamini and Arteta, i have two experience very decent players who can provide back up to my 2 midfielders at the moment.
Flamini i shall be looking to move on if i can get Khedira in.

Romero - another young midfielder who really does turn into a world beater. Again, although a player i could probably use as back straight away, with my back ups i already have. Loaning him until his fluent in english could be a good idea.

L IF

Marco Reus - What a guy. Amazing inside forward and be picked up for his £21m release clause. He doesnt want to move to Arsenal though so his wages will prove a real stumbling block. But for £21m and a potential player to bring success for years, £150k a week all of a sudden doesnt seem to steep at all. Potential to play in any 3 of my attacking roles.

Memphis Depay - Can be bought for around £22m. A young IF who could also spearhead the attack in a DLP or Adv F role. Potential is amazing, but will have to watch my pennies if i get Reus. Potential to play in any 3 of my attacking roles.

Raheem Sterling - an expensive transfer and will have to give about £40-45m to acquire his services. But again, for a young player already, ready to beat the world of football. Could prove a decent buy. Potential to play in any 3 of my attacking roles.

Striker

Zivkovic, Barbosa and Bonozolli are all strikers im eyeing up.

View attachment 313858View attachment 313857View attachment 313856
This is the tactic I am using in my Arsenal story. Other player instructions change, with whomever I put in that position, usually just the AM and Inside forwards. Ozil plays a million times better behind the striker. Sanchez is unfortunately under rated in the game, and Chamberlain makes him obsolete quickly. DO NOT GET RID of Ramsey, he's a monster, compared to Wilshere, and works amazingly in the deep lying playmaker role. Balanta is boring, grab someone who doesn't become a world class center back instantly, haha. Sterling is a dream in the left inside forward role, and as a back up to Ozil. I had an Arsenal save before the one I started writing a story for. In 6 years I won the Champions league twice, made it to the final twice, and semi finals 5 years. Won the EPL twice, and 2nd place 4 times. FA cup was won 4 times. with that one tactic. You just have to find the right players in certain positions. Get a strong player for the box to box mid. Sami Khedira would be great, but Chelsea usually pays a billion a month for his services, so it's hard to get him to Arsenal. Strootman or Luiz Gustavo would be good alternatives. Sterling and Reus are great, but Reus won't come until Arsenal is a "big" team, usually. In my old save I got Lewandowski in the 2nd season. He broke Henry's record by February, and is the top goal scorer every year. I also got Gotze to replace Ozil in the 3rd or 4th season. Enough about what I did, that is the tactic I used, and I had 60% possession or more, on literally 85% of my games. I also can't remember having less that 50% possession ever. Of course the tactic isn't perfect and you will lose here and there, but it's attacking and possessive, and if you find the right players, it will destroy teams.