villan101

Reaction score
Has anyone worked their way up from the blue square divisions, i got my team promoted from blue square north to premier, but am now struggling. Has anyone got a tactic that can get a team promoted in the blue square premier an league 2 etc.

yes, yes, yes there are many people that have. i have

how come this thread is in tactics??oO)

On 09 got AFC Wimbledon from the BSS to the Championship, but then I just couldn't get promoted, so hard. I'll probably try it again this year, already got a save with them which I'm half way through the first season so you never know..

Hey folks,
New to posting on the forum, but been browsing for many years now. Figure I'm probably getting experienced enough to post something uselful now : ) the forums have been a great help over the years:)
Anyway currently on a game with Luton in 2015. In premiership for second season. After successive promotions through the leagues using variations on one tactic.
Really wasn't expecting to fly through the leagues so well, but the premiership is a different challenge, so developing new tacs.
The tac that stood me so well is hopefully attached if I've figured this out right.
Let me know how you get on with it, I can post more details and screenies of progress if anyone interested.
dc

if the screenies are a stupid size I'm sorry :)

Last edited:
Hey folks,
New to posting on the forum, but been browsing for many years now. Figure I'm probably getting experienced enough to post something uselful now : ) the forums have been a great help over the years:)
Anyway currently on a game with Luton in 2015. In premiership for second season. After successive promotions through the leagues using variations on one tactic.
Really wasn't expecting to fly through the leagues so well, but the premiership is a different challenge, so developing new tacs.
The tac that stood me so well is hopefully attached if I've figured this out right.
Let me know how you get on with it, I can post more details and screenies of progress if anyone interested.
dc

Thanks, will give it a go

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

because i am looking for a tactic that will work in the lower divisions

Hey folks,
dc

do you use opposition instructions?

It's not just the tactics you should be concerned about you need the quality players as well.

During the transfer windows try and get decent free transfers by either looking through all League 2, League 1 and maybe Championship teams reserve sides. There are often quality players to find there.

You could look at Premiership but I really doubt they'll go to a BSP side. You might even struggle to sign Championship players as well.

If this doesn't work then try getting loan signings from these divisions as well, youngsters from big clubs in the Premiership are a great source of decent players for me.

i want to give this a challenge soon as i have not done it yet so will probs do the town i was born (York City)

I'm 4th in the Championship with Stevange Borough having gone from League 2 relegation candidates 5 seasons ago. I got loads of good young players from Ireland, namely St.Pat's, Derry City, Cork City, Shelbourne. You can sign alot of them on free transfers and you'd be surprised how many are willing to sign for you.

Edit:

A tactic that worked well for me away from home in League 2 was 4-1-3-2 : like the standard 4-4-2 but with a defensive midfielder between defence and midfield (I happened to have a very good natural DMC at the time).

Do that with starting strategy: Counter

Deep defensive line

Normal Width

Quick Tempo

Direct Passing.

I won alot of games playing with this as it's the typical counter attacking tactic. Fairly defensive given the defensive midfielder and deep defensive line, but with the quick direct passing tempo the team gets forward and makes enough chances to score goals. Having said that, the calibre of players are key. My wingers were fast and could dribble and cross well and both my strikers could score so I generally got a good return for the possession/chances I had.

Last edited:
I'm 4th in the Championship with Stevange Borough having gone from League 2 relegation candidates 5 seasons ago. I got loads of good young players from Ireland, namely St.Pat's, Derry City, Cork City, Shelbourne. You can sign alot of them on free transfers and you'd be surprised how many are willing to sign for you.

Edit:

A tactic that worked well for me away from home in League 2 was 4-1-3-2 : like the standard 4-4-2 but with a defensive midfielder between defence and midfield (I happened to have a very good natural DMC at the time).

Do that with starting strategy: Counter

Deep defensive line

Normal Width

Quick Tempo

Direct Passing.

I won alot of games playing with this as it's the typical counter attacking tactic. Fairly defensive given the defensive midfielder and deep defensive line, but with the quick direct passing tempo the team gets forward and makes enough chances to score goals. Having said that, the calibre of players are key. My wingers were fast and could dribble and cross well and both my strikers could score so I generally got a good return for the possession/chances I had.

This is basically the tactic i'm currently using in League 1 for my Torquay United team, but unfortunately it ain't going to well for me. My forwards are pretty good ( T.Sills & W.Topp), I recently got a new much better MR on loan (A.Robinson) as we were lacking quality there and a new CB (Jay Emmanuel-Thomas) on loan from Wolves.

So hopefully I will be able to pull together a better string of results as i'm currently 20th and halfway through the season already.

Not with any regularity. Experimented with them from time to time. Closing down and hard tackling on particularly creative players. Gives them less time to think and makes them think twice about dwelling on the ball.
Still haven't really got to grips with them in any other way.
dc

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Not with any regularity. Experimented with them from time to time. Closing down and hard tackling on particularly creative players. Gives them less time to think and makes them think twice about dwelling on the ball.
Still haven't really got to grips with them in any other way.
dc

I did it with Bath City, it's really easy, you can live off of free transfers and just get a sqaud of 19 year olds and three years later you have Premier League worthy players :)

"Has anyone got a tactic that can get a team promoted in the blue square premier an league 2 etc."

i took hayes and yeading to the championship on fm 09, im a lazy **** though so gave up

I got Cambridge United from Blue Square Premier League to League One Champions. :D (08)

Adam phillips from chelsea will go to blue square side, North south etc, on loan.Can eb a leading BSP star