Has there been a new update that's changed the AI?

dannyboy50

Reaction score
Hi

I have been having reasonable success on this game for the first time lately, but i started a save with Manchester United where I played a simple 4-2-3-1 formation with a balanced and counter attacking set up and I find that I can have loads of shots in the game and still end up losing. I can accept this happens from time to time but if it keeps happening there're has to be something fundamentally wrong.

I have instructions such as short passing, retain possession, play out of defence, hassle opponents, high tempo, push higher up.

Formation: de gea; Rafael, vidic, Evans, evra; carrick, Felliani; Valencia, Mata, kagawa; RVP

Full backs are set to automatic, wingers to inside forwards support and RVP to a complete forward.

Any help would be appreciated, and by that I don't mean directing me towards downloadable tactics!!

No I don't think there has been a patch for ages.

If I'm using the counter strategy I certainly wouldn't be using retain possession...I want to get the ball foward quickly and directly...not short safe tappy tappy passes, wouldn't have short passes selected. I wouldn't be using play out of defence either or push higher up.

Im im no expert tho...someone here will give you Better advice.

Cheers, that actually makes sense, I've got to stop trying to come up with a formula for all teams (which doesn't exist) and take every team on it's merits

There's quite a few tactics that you can get similar results and styles of play but most require the right types of player for the position/role.

I really hated the game, I struggled with inconsistency and couldn't pin point what was going wrong. I couldn't see a patern to the defeats, world class fowards constantly missing in front of goal, conceding from the opponents only chance after dominating the game. I like to manage big clubs and it only takes 4-5 defeats and that's the title gone. I gave up playing for few months. I started again after friend of mine was telling me he thought it was the best rendition of the game since CM days.

He said he'd get me loving the game again and winning with a lot of goals.

sent me his tactic - 4-2-3-1 Control - Fluid
Opposition instructions were embedded.
Team and player instructions set.

He asked me things like:

1) What team training do you do? I said Assman takes care of that.
He basically said the assman is **** and to take control of everything.
Said on the 1st day of pre season set the bar all the way to left and don't move until the tactic is 100% fluid.
Focus - Tactics % balanced - very high. When 100% fluid move the bar to 2 notches from right. End of pre season set to balance high and half way through the season balanced - average.

2) What player training and ppm do you teach? Assman.
He said the assman does things like train strikers on tackling and defenders on pace...basically saying why would you do that? Why wouldn't you want you defenders being trained as defenders and forwards as forwards and so on.
He said again on the 1st day of pre season set each player training focus to the position that I planned to play them. It used only 1 forward which was AF so trained all the strikers to that position and so on throughout the team.
he told me to train all the strikers , the IFs and the AMC to place shots. And various other ppms for the rest of the positions.

3) Teamtalks? Assman
Assman does things like say nothing to players after winning 6-0.
Managing big clubs with big egos and players who want to be loved don't wanna be told there's nothing to mention after stomping out a team 6-0.
He said assman pre match talks are not too bad and he checks what it says before deciding if to change it...then passionately tell all the players under position the "I want to go out the goals for us today" for the strikers and the same for midfield think it's "take control of the midfield" and "strong defensive work" for the defenders.
most games players will be listening keenly, nodded in agreement or listened passionately. Lots of green.

4) Do you private chat players to boost them up? No.
He said any player that gets 2 or more goals, 2 or more assists or a rating of 9+ gets a private chat praise last game and assertively tell them the relevant praise. Players quickly added me to their list of favoured personel.

5) Do you Teamtalk subs before they come on? No

He said why not? Why wouldn't you wanna give then a boost before coming on?
if they are playing well getting praise and your favoured by them,
When bringing on subs assertively tell them "they can make the difference/a lot more to come from you" and they should say "they get along well with manager, looked happy and so on.

6) Press conference? Assman.

He said use press conferences to balance the praise you give players, so pre match the *** man doesn't say they look over confident. Say as long as we play the way I know we can, won't be an easy game, rather focus on the game, prize of victory should be enough.
played well expect more of have same.

I won everything that season losing 3 games in all comps. My players dominated the top 5 stats for everything scoring 100+ goals in the league.
He said applying the same methods to well thought out tactics of different formations would help me get success where before I was always so inconsistent.

Last edited:
Meh, Rigid works best with Counter attacking, not balanced. That's because team discipline is necessary to properly counter-attack. Use Direct Passing, this will try to ensure the two touches and goal counter attacks. Also, use Work Ball into Box, this will reduce even more the crazy shots that players seem to want to take.

Possession is something like the arch-enemy of counter-attacking, least in FM. Counter-Attacking relies on quick passing to put pressure on defence, and pace to get behind it. Passing is slow penetration to look for openings.

Well there's some interesting ideas I quite frankly had never thought of, thank you guys