Sheva

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a few questions regarding tactics/formations.

1.Firstly, obviously it's ideal to play players in their proper roles for e.g Your striker is a 'poacher' and mentality is to attack. Do you guys change all these so every player is perfect to their role? Should you do that even if your left back is suited to 'support' but your right back is suited to 'attack' or your left winger prefers 'inside forward' and your opposite winger just likes 'winger'.

Secondly, how do you adapt their roles to your tactics? If you have attacking full backs do you make sure you're more attacking on the whole? What if your team has attacking players but you're a weak side in comparison to other teams? Do you still attack?

2.How do you determine your basic tactics? Is it better to be rigid if your team is poor? What if your team is poor but has more flair players? Do you then become more fluid?

Is it better to have a fast tempo if you're attacking and slower if you're defending? Does a fast tempo contradict a more defensive approach? Vice versa.

3.How do you utilise your assistants feedback during the game. In my game all he seems to suggest is training defensive/attacking set pieces. What do you look for from your assistants comments to try and alter?

4.Finally, how do you set up your training. Do you base it on what your assistant recommends or who you play. What do you look for in your opposition to then select the appropriate training?

Thanks!

1. No, obviously the stats they have may suit playing one role more than another but if it's going to cause issues with your formation and tactics then it's not worth trying to fit them all into their "perfect" roles. The difference between attack and support isn't a huge amount either, it's mostly just the amount of runs they make forward and the way they distribute the ball.
You should ideally look at the players you have, form a formation that's balanced and suits the vast majority of your players.

No point playing with one inside forward to suit one player if you have five players in your squad are much better suited to playing as a winger. Same applies to most positions, your aim is to get a balance not to fit the needs of every player.

2. Again first look at your players, the number of players per position should give you your basic formation. From there look at the individual skill of the players and how your teams ability is as a whole. Fast forwards with a generally slow but strong defense would suit playing counter attacking football with a rigid formation. A technically gifted midfield would be better suited to playing control/attacking with more of a focus on possession and a fluid front line.

Tempo is mostly down to how fast and willing your players are to make something happen or force a chance, higher tempo is good for attacking play with good players because you'll generally want to force chances to allow them to get shots off. It can also lead to a lot of wasted chances though which is where time wasting and lower creative freedom can help to combat that.
Slower tempo does suit a little more defensive formation, if you focus on possession and trying to control the ball and pick teams apart. If counter attacking is what you're after then direct passing with a higher tempo would be better suited.

3. I tend to ignore most of them, they will highlight weak spots though. If someone is making a lot of mistakes/failing in a lot of passes for example can help to you pick out a player to sub or move around in their role. They're also good for highlighting which areas where you're weak/strong, again allow you to firstly exploit any weakness in the other team or help counter one of your own.
Always take what they say with a pinch of salt though, your team may be losing it in the middle a lot but you could also be dominating the game out wide which is winning it for you.

4. General training I usually leave on balance and match training on defending set pieces or def positioning. The match training I switch between the two based on the teams coming up, bigger stronger teams usually set pieces and the more gifted teams I go with def positioning.

Remember to always use tactics/teamwork during preseason depending on the number of signings made and formations you're trying out.

I'm not sure you understood what I meant in the player roles.

Ok, I have a player and it says his position is 'AML' and it's bright green on attacking midfielder left, however it says under his role 'Inside Forward'. So, I've got him in the right position but I don't know whether putting his role to inside forward is correct? What will that make him do exactly?

Thanks

Ok, I have a player and it says his position is 'AML' and it's bright green on attacking midfielder left, however it says under his role 'Inside Forward'. So, I've got him in the right position but I don't know whether putting his role to inside forward is correct? What will that make him do exactly?

Thanks
That's just what his stats are best suited to.
Putting him as an inside forward will make him cut inside and take shots/play through balls, a winger will tend to stick wide and cross the ball a lot more.

Thanks

Also, if you go to tactics, then player click on your AML and It'll give you a little blurb about what his role will consist of.View attachment 345010

Also the arrows indicate where to change the role, and Attack, Support option. Changing these will also change the description and give you better insight ;)

1. You are their manager, players often don't know that for instance 'Target man' is not their best position/role, 'in your team'
(Words I have ofter heard myself saying "yea, he can do that")

And as for defend/support/attack, that to me is just like saying "this game I want you to explode all over the place so I'm giving you the attack role", conversely if expecting heavy pressure defend/support role and maybe a tweak to the runs made or whatever.

2.Rigid means fullbacks wont look to overlap wingers, fluid means they might.
Sort of goes back to my point about exploding all over the place or expecting pressure.
but for me tempo is personal preference, some equally good slow/fast attacking/defensive tactics to be made.

3. My assistant does make me aware of a few things, players not blending, stuff during warm up, players not motivated to play for me...that kinda stuff but on the whole I have to be honest I pretty much ignore him because he's not the manager, I am.

4.Training. Learn the tactic or tactics, get them fluid.
I faff about with the fluff after, like strong opponents = def positioning, weak opponents = attacking movement, between match training = 'play style'

You got to get all Zen dude, find out who you are as a manager, get all deep and internal and stuff.

Last edited: