Having trouble finding consistency with 4231 Anderlecht

henners31

Reaction score
0a6dde6c72fb95154034046507bd687a.png

b13e46d9f45d10eb4ce36848c91929b3.png

This is the tactic I'm using with Anderlecht and I'm wondering if anyone had any opinions on how to improve it.

The problem is how it is inconsistent and never really achieves too much domination in a game despite me being by far and away the best team in the Belgian League. It became so inconsistent to the point that I actually didn't win the league in the 19/20 season. The main problem at the moment is not getting enough goals, the defence tends to be very solid but I'm not sure if that's due to the lack of much quality opposition in the league (European comps haven't started yet this season). Should I stop using 2 playmakers? Should I stop using IFs on the wings? Any help would be appreciated.

And then when we seem to dominate on the stat sheet it doesn't show on the scoreboard. My striker isn't the best (but he does have 16 finishing but didn't score all 9 of his shots) so maybe that's the problem

4863eb9bb3f50354ca68520c8a3b6f9a.png

Have you tried taking retain possession or shorter passing off? I feel like this would make your attacks quicker, more unpredictable, and ultimately harder to defend against.

Have you tried taking retain possession or shorter passing off? I feel like this would make your attacks quicker, more unpredictable, and ultimately harder to defend against.

Thanks, will try for a few games

I agree with the suggestion above. I also like your suggestion of using 1 winger. If the player has cuts inside ppm, he will be very unpredictable, sometimes cross sometimes shoot.

Inside Forward_Support and Full Back_Attack are meant to be together. The IF moves infield, creating space on the wing for the FB to exploit to get to the byline and get a cross in. I prefer to have an FB_Attack behind an IF_Support on one side and a FB_Support behind a W_Attack on the other; this staggered approach works wonders during counter attacks and adds variety to your team's attacking play.

There is no defensive influence in the your central midfield. I would prefer a Ball Winning Midfielder rather than a Box-to-Box. The Deep-Lying Playmaker should be trained to Switch the ball to opposite flank to help you exploit the space when it appears.

I have always struggled to use the No.10 role effectively in a 4-2-3-1. In a 4-4-1-1, I have had some success with a Shadow Striker playing behind a Deep-Lying Forward, and if you're going to exploit the wings and get crosses in then you'd expect your SS to become your top scorer. I'll have to say experiment with the No.10 and the lone front man, but regard them as a combination and see how they work together. You could train them both to play one-twos to make sure they work together. A good SS will drop deep during build-up play, spread the ball out to the wings and then sprint into the box to be ready for the cross.

There's a gap between your defence and midfield. If Papadopoulos plays as a Stopper, he'll step out of the defensive line to get a challenge in. This can sometimes result in your offside trap being sprung, though.

The 'Pump the ball into box' option is encouraging your defenders to bypass your 5-man midfield in favour of going direct to your lone frontman! Can I suggest that you 'Play out of defence' and Exploit both flanks?! Have your keeper roll the ball out to your full backs and Retain possession. Look for overlap to get your full backs involved in the final third. I don't like the Work the ball into box option - the AI sends the players into a scrum and they just kick the ball against each other.

Instruct both full backs and your winger to Cross more often. Also decide where you want them to cross to. They are not just aiming for your frontman because your wide men can steal in on the far post for easy finishes to well placed crosses. Whether you whip, float or mix your crosses depends on the height and aerial ability of your frontman.

With the Be more expressive/disciplined and Stick to/Roam from positions options, I tend to toggle between them during those periods of the match when the opposition tends to concede more goals - info from the Scouting Report - allowing them to be more free-flowing when the opposition is anticipated to be at their weakest, but tightening up again once that time passes. I always use the Get stuck in option, but then I get a player sent-off about once a month.

Look to control possession and play in a flexible style, generally speaking. This gives you some leeway to expand or tighten your play for a more attacking/defensive approach when required. Don't be too proud to go defensive and start time wasting when you need to protect a lead through the last 6 minutes or so of a match. Make those three points yours!

Thanks Rocheyb, I will definitely try my full backs on FB attack and maybe switch B2B to a BWM. The thing is though is that the B2B generally tends to be one of my more influential players so I don't want to mess with that to much. I might alternate between advanced PM and SS at CAM because Praet doesn't have the right attributes, however my other CAM in the rotation has potential to become a really high quality SS. Fortunately my regular DLPs also have the switch the ball PPM to stretch the play. Hopefully this can get me a strong league in the title race!