Healing A Thigh Strain

Burkie7

Reaction score
Alri lads, 2 weeks ago I pulled my thigh muscle and after doing a small jog today I still see no improvement in it.

I was training for my football team and taking shots on the Goalkeeper in the warm up before I stretched or did any running and it went on me, I was feeling a tightness in it the previous 2 weeks but it usually went away a bit into the training session.

Just wondering if anyone on this forum has ever had a thigh strain and how long it healed and what procedures they used to hasten the healing process.

I'm desperate to get it healed ASAP as are league season kicks of this Sunday and I want to be able to take part in the match, cheers.

Ive not had thigh strain but L Glutamine tablets are supposed to be good with pulled / aching muscles / DOMS so maybe dose up on that for a while?

Other than that you just need to rest it. Possibly try a massage on it? Sauna relaxes muscles.... ummmm... all I can think of at the mo

What part of the thigh? Hamstring? Quad? Either way rest is required, there is no quick fix, Danny Welbeck did his recently and he's out for at least a month.

In the early stages of recovery, ie the first week, try the ice heat ice method to reduce swelling and also to get oxygen and other muscle repair components rushing into the muscle.

Ice it for 20 minutes or so, then use a hot water bottle or simialr to apply heat for 20 minutes, then ice again. Repeat process 2 or 3 times if time permits, try to do this twice a day.

Its quad mate, I'm into the second week of it now and I did the ice and heat thing for a day or two but I just thought it would heal itself with rest. Should I start doing it again?

Its quad mate, I'm into the second week of it now and I did the ice and heat thing for a day or two but I just thought it would heal itself with rest. Should I start doing it again?

Can't hurt to try mate. Or get your misses to kiss it better (K)

If it's tender to touch (press relatively hard around the injury) then you may need to ice heat ice it a bit more. But from now it's a case of rest, no football, running etc, not even light training for at least a week. Begin gentle stretching in about a week and then go from there. You are the only one who knows when you are ready and fit again. Try to go to training in about ten days, but warn the coach that you may need to stop. Stop any exercise if you feel pain/tightness, and then try again a few days afterwards. Build up slowly to full training sessions and matches.

This is all dependant on age of course. I could shake off almost any injury within a few days during my teens. Now i'm nearly 23 and i end up carrying injuries for weeks and weeks because i can't get rid of them quickly enough and i don't have the patience that i have recomended above to sit out of sport for 2-3 weeks.

Cheers thanks for all that mate, its very frustrating for me as I always played football about 4 times a week and this is the first injury I have ever had, I'm only 20 so hopfully only one more week and it should be better but I will follow all as above.

I don't think Dr. FM-Base is the best doctor out there, so I would recommend trying a real doctor.

Two words. Heat. Ice. Also, try flexing it so that it doesn't seize up. Stretching always helps.

*in b4 overdone 'GET BETTER PHYSIOS HURR' jokes*