Edd1920

Reaction score
Just for interest because I wanted to see what the difference really was, I played the same game 5 times on Contain and looked at the heat map/average position for Sadio Mane in a Winger (S) role, in a Liverpool 4-2-3-1 formation and only changed the mentality but without any other team/player instructions.

View attachment 94052

Highly Structured:
View attachment 94053

Structured:
View attachment 94051

Flexible:
View attachment 94050

Fluid:
View attachment 94049

V Fluid:
View attachment 94048

There are obviously a huge number of variables that would affect this, but I thought this snapshot was interesting and I was surprised, even with a Contain mentality that he didn't wander that far when the mentality was set to very fluid.

You gave him a Support duty, which asks him to support play. You asked the team to play extremely safe. What did you expect to happen here?

If you expected him to "wander off", you're missing what Team Shape is and does.

Last edited:
WJ may have got very upset about it but its interesting to see what it leads to.

WJ may have got very upset about it but its interesting to see what it leads to.
I wasn't upset at all. I'm still not sure what this was supposed to show. There are too many variables and he didn't ask anything different from his player. Team shape will make subtle changes.

I did the comparison for interest because I didn't know to what extent changing the mentality would affect the movement of the player - I know the theory and can sort of see it whilst playing the game, but seeing it visually like this was, at least I thought, quite interesting...maybe it's more obvious to others!!

I did the comparison for interest because I didn't know to what extent changing the mentality would affect the movement of the player - I know the theory and can sort of see it whilst playing the game, but seeing it visually like this was, at least I thought, quite interesting...maybe it's more obvious to others!!
You only changed the player's Mentality by changing the Team Shape. Yes, you gave him more Creative Freedom with a Very Fluid shape, but he also had a much lower Mentality (because he'd prioritise team Mentality) due to having a Very Fluid team shape, so he would play extremely safe now - very little/few movement/forward runs.

If you expected him to wander off, even slightly, you should have asked him to Roam From Position, because that will ask him to roam.