GazzaBaker

Reaction score
I'm sure you've heard this before but really need some advice!
Im on my first career at Chelsea (the team I support) but I'm not sure what tactics to use and I've now been given a month to improve results or I'm sacked ������
I have to admit to keep changing tactics so need some tips on how to improve or at least to stabilise. Do I need to use the same tactic so that my players become familiar or does changing tactics enhance your squads capabilities? And how do I find out what tactics suit my players or is it simply trial and error?

I'm sure you've heard this before but really need some advice!
Im on my first career at Chelsea (the team I support) but I'm not sure what tactics to use and I've now been given a month to improve results or I'm sacked ������
I have to admit to keep changing tactics so need some tips on how to improve or at least to stabilise. Do I need to use the same tactic so that my players become familiar or does changing tactics enhance your squads capabilities? And how do I find out what tactics suit my players or is it simply trial and error?
Create whatever tactic you think suits your players. Tactical familiarity is important, so it's not a great idea to constantly chop and change, unless your tactic has weaknesses that you're improving on.

You simply look at the positions and roles your players can play and form a plan based on that.

Here's an example of what I do: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2015-tactics/328095-starting-new-club.html

Constant swapping of your tactics only serves to confuse the players. As WJ says look at your players and build a tactic for what you have, this is best done in pre-season but it is not impossible to sort out the best tactic mid way through a season. Don't go for the latest new plug and play tactic as they don't always work, find something you like and stick with it even it means dropping your favourite player as he doesn't fit in.

Tactical surprises are important in FM 2016. If you play the same tactic over and over, your opponents will adapt and they will beat you. You should change tactics regarding where you play (at home or away) and if you are stronger or weaker than your opponent.

I prefer to train in preseason only two formations, but with different mentality and team shape. Let's say I implement a 4-4-2 for Control, Fluid, with normal tempo and short passes. Then I implement a 5-3-2 Counter, Flexible, higher tempo, more direct passing. I set the training for Tactics and I try to set up 6 friendly games to give my team the chance to increase familiarity for these two. Then, when the championship starts, I learn my team the third formation, let's say 4-2-3-1 Attacking, Fluid, higher tempo and short passes.

During the whole season I will play one of these formations, depending of opponent and venue. Now, if I will make a small alteration in one of my formations, I will still keep a high familiarity. Suppose I want to play 4-4-2, but I advance one of wide midfielder as a winger in AMR or AML position. AI will see this as a 4-3-3 Asymmetric formation and will consider as a different formation and will react. This will be considered as a "springing tactical surprise" if you win.

Tactical surprises are important in FM 2016. If you play the same tactic over and over, your opponents will adapt and they will beat you. You should change tactics regarding where you play (at home or away) and if you are stronger or weaker than your opponent.
The AI can't adapt to your tactic. They won't react differently. They set up in a general way based on a few factors, but nothing specifically against your tactic. They can set them using OIs (similar to what your own Assistant Manager can do) to affect players in your team. Possibly the most they can 'adapt' are employing TIs based on your formation as a whole, depending on the manager. Things like Exploit Flanks if you're only using 2 wide players and they have 4. For the most part, the AI is basic.