Atarin

Reaction score
I'm using a nice study 4-1-2-2-1 / 4-3-3 / 4-5-1, whichever term you prefer. Basically Keeper, standard back four, DLP(d), CM & BBM, AP(a) on wide flank, IF(a) on the other & a DLF(s) up top. We're playing Defensive/Structured, split press - front three pressing, rest of the team nice and solid.

I'm fairly comfortable against most opponents. If my wide players are struggling to find space out wide I generally turn them into AP(s) so they tuck in a bit deeper and that usually works, or I can set them to W(s) and that just drops them back a tiny bit combined with turning my striker into an AF or P for penetration.

What I really struggle against (and almost as if the AI senses this - because I'm facing it a lot in 2nd halves of games) is when they suddenly go 3-4-3. Suddenly there's no room for my front three to work. My midfield 3 & defensive 4 are completely overworked in trying to cope with threats coming from a front 3 and potentially WMs & a runner from central.

I haven't come unstuck yet against it but we do start to look very ragged. I've tried various things but I can't reestablish control, which is what I would like to do. Ideally I'd like to force them to go back to a more conservative system so I can go back to my tried and trusted system.

So...how does a 4-1-2-2-1 reestablish control against a 3-4-3?