Help against Man Utd away

• Thread starter Thread starter dave256
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 2K
If you were using it for the reasons WJ and I were thinking then you pull them wide, because you are looking to attack down the flanks, where United have less bodies. I'm not sure, I would watch and see how much influence he has. Also you might want your winger free to exploit the space behind. It's not cut and dried. It's about balancing risks. That's why football is so fluid, very few right or wrong answers

Okie dokie, will try that 3 times and see how it go's.

fancy posting your tactic, player instructions and players you have used now you have made changes, i would quite like to see the development in your tactic please ^^)

fancy posting your tactic, player instructions and players you have used now you have made changes, i would quite like to see the development in your tactic please ^^)

Yeah, I will do once I've experimented a little. I just want to see what to use as a base and then work from that. From the two suggestions I have now I will play the 4231 and the 3142 3 times and then go with what worked best on average. I know this is a controversial way of working out things on this edition but I'm just experimenting. Whatever gives the best average out of the base formations I'll work on the player/team instructions. Even if a tactic loses consistently on stats from the 3 games that should show something? The main thing I'm looking for is solidity and trying to neutralise that front 3. Thats the ideal :) I'm not looking for a wonder tactic but something that gives me a consistent chance against this man utd formation/team

Yeah, unfortunately, I'm trying the 4231 DM Narrow with deep d-line and they're all over me. 1-0 down and they've had 7 shots 59% poss and I've had no shots. I'll play about with it and see what it comes out with. I definitely know that a high d-line doesn't workas they kill you with through balls, but I'll try next the same thing with no d-line set and see how that works. Seemed to work best on the tactic I was using and I think you're right that their front 3 will tear me apart whatever...I think that's why I maybe thought the best option was to go offensive and try to just keep the ball more.

Finished 1-0 half time but they had 9 shots, 59% poss and I had one shot. Will try 2nd half with no d-line set. I'm using counter with fluid and so Iam inviting pressure onto me, but just experimenting :) I have eriksen marking rafael but I don't find AM's man marking to have too great an effect in past experience...determined to get a consistent result haha
I just want to pick up on this D-line thing.

If you're still using Counter as mentality, you'll have a deep-ish line and fairly low closing by default. There's then no need to set Play Deeper as you're already deep. You may be going way too deep and that'll hurt your chances. Even choosing Push Higher Up doesn't mean you now play with a high line. At best, the D-line would then be described as "normal" or medium block.

Adjustments like that are best left for the match itself, where you'd be able to see if you need to push up a little or drop a little deeper.

Try a 3-1-4-2, looks like it could be perfect for dealing with them defensively if played right, very good formation for closing down and keeping possesion so could be used to not just do a smash and grab against them. I prefer attack over defence so I'd look to exploit januzajs lack of workrate by putting a great passer in the regista role. An advanced playmaker with attack duty should then be used to attack the space they leave without a dm, probably best to use a ball winning midfielder next to him so you don't get overrun. I'd be slightly tempted to use 2 defensive forwards (s) on them aswell as they will drop in and exploit the dm space with the ball but also they are likely to try to play out the back but neither the of their centre backs are really comfortable on the ball so a lot of pressing from your strikers should force them to either clear it for a throw or you to mop up or even lose the ball. They also have little pace up front so they are unlikely to be a threat from a long ball over the top, particularly with your 3 v 2 advantage at the back. On the wings in this formation probably best to use wm or dw but Rafael isn't the best defensively so if your feeling adventurous you could get a winger up against him.you could even have a right winger up against rojo aswell as its 1 v 1 so if your wingers are always attacking their fullbacks must stay back to deal with them( I sometimes play this against teams who have wingers so my wide players have to be a bit more defensive). I'm sure WJ is right that a 4-2-3-1 deep formation would be able to beat them on its day but if you want to try dominate them that seems the best formation against them. Would be interested in WJ's thoughts on this as he seems to go as in depth at looking at his opponents as I do.
That formation could work, but you'd have to be direct and counter immediately. I'd make one of the strikers the pivot with the other striker and one CM as the runners. I would be careful of using wingers though. Rafael in particular will be very attacking. A high work rate DW or WM would be perfect.

I still prefer the 4-2-3-1 deep as it'll exploit the space left by Rafael and no DM better, imo, but I can see this working too if you can quickly overload the 2 DCs.

Last edited:
That formation could work, but you'd have to be direct and counter immediately. I'd make one of the strikers the pivot with the other striker and one CM as the runners. I would be careful of using wingers though. Rafael in particular will be very attacking. A high work rate DW or WM would be perfect.

I still prefer the 4-2-3-1 deep as it'll exploit the space left by Rafael and no DM better, imo, but I can see this working too if you can quickly overload the 2 DCs.

Disagree about having to counter quickly, I think the 3 at the back could be opened up if they are given the time to keep possesion and try to break you down. It really is a formation which helps you control the game and needs to control the game to be completely effective. Agree about the 1 striker collecting the ball deep and one running ( I usually use a Dlf(s) and either an af or poacher depending on my players but I was suggesting the defensive forwards to put pressure on the centre backs trying to play out the back although they aren't completely comfortable on the ball, especially with them not having a dm to take the ball of him. Definitely agree on the wingers though an all out winger was just a suggestion in case he is feeling very adventurous and could work by simply making them have to defend you so you don't have to defend them

You ve got everybody pressing like **** and yet your GK is staying rooted in his box pretty much. Players are going to escape your pressing and you need him to be on SK.

Otherwise my head bleeds with all those instructions ...

Easiest way to deal with "big" teams is to go strikerless and compress the midfield play with narrow instructions - going strikerless will mean you ll have many more players in midfield and dominate it. UTDs lack of steel in the centre of midfield is exposed

Last edited:
Disagree about having to counter quickly, I think the 3 at the back could be opened up if they are given the time to keep possesion and try to break you down. It really is a formation which helps you control the game and needs to control the game to be completely effective. Agree about the 1 striker collecting the ball deep and one running ( I usually use a Dlf(s) and either an af or poacher depending on my players but I was suggesting the defensive forwards to put pressure on the centre backs trying to play out the back although they aren't completely comfortable on the ball, especially with them not having a dm to take the ball of him. Definitely agree on the wingers though an all out winger was just a suggestion in case he is feeling very adventurous and could work by simply making them have to defend you so you don't have to defend them
You can keep maybe keep possession with the 3 DCs vs the 2 STs, yes. The problem is slightly forward. You're outnumbered in midfield.

My vision has the ball getting to the Support duty striker quickly and he has at least two runners to feed or play it back. That's the beauty of the game though. More than one way can work.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Lots of different ideas/theories to try out :)

Back