hisnameisbear

Reaction score
Right. First post. How exciting.

I'm having a pop at managing Wolsburg, season started off really bad and I'm just pulling it back. Sticking with 4-1-2-1-2 and it's working pretty good, not scoring tons but doing alright.
Now then... Got through group stage of Champions League, even beat Man Utd which I was pretty pleased with but drew Barcelona in first knock out. Any advice on how to beat them? Ideally want to stick with formation + I've pretty much got original team + a few extra young players (Loic Nestor/Vered/James Rodriguez/Guarta).

Thaaaanks.

is it a narroe 4-1-2-1-2? in that case, you going to struggle with that formation because their fullbacks get forward so they will overload you as their wide players attack in. you need to specifil mark the aml and aml with you full backs, and also do the same to the mcs (xavi, iniesta) use the aerial power dzeko as well. personally i would use 4-2-3-1, use the two mcs to take out their mcs and attack down the flanks to dzeko's head

Awesome, thanks. I'll try that out. I've had limited success changing formations but think I'll give it a go.
Also, I've had problems getting Dzeko to perform. Started using him as people seem to recommend (Target Man/Support) but he hasn't really been performing, any tips?

Ok tried it out, annoyingly Dzeko was injured first game. What roles would you recommend for midfielders? Had some teething problems ie not winning/scoring.

have one ball winner to lay it off to the advanced playmaker (if AP has a good long shot, have him as support, if good 1st touch and dribbling stats, set him to attack) :D

Try setting the squad width to wider than usual, use reasonably defensive minded midfielders in the middle of the park and show the AML and AMR down the flanks so they have to cross more. Not sure why but Barca, even Ibrahmovic, have a fear of heading the ball lol. This won't work unless you have at least one massive defender to head the crosses away though. Plus you want to keep Messi out of the box at all times. Good luck mate.

Ok great, cheers guys. Just out of interest, what roles/duties would you line up? And would you recommend this formation/setup for most games or just Barca?

i'm guessing for Barca that for touchline duties your going to want to hassle them. But this might be a little bit dangerous, also set defensive line to deeper so you can team setting can be counter, it also involves using quick, intelligent players...in real life at least they push almost everyone forward past the halfway line almost so there is loads of room to exploit, just as Rubin Kazan did at Nou Camp.

oh yeh one more thing for the love of god dont give zlatan space, tight mark, closing down hard tackling, if he is with 20-25 yards of goal and you let him turn and shoot, you're done.

suprisingly barca are much easier to deal with than real madrid. now that is a hard game

You should have at least one ball winning midfielder in central midfield, play Dzeko as a deep lying forward and as the target man (to feet), alongside a pacey striker like Grafite or Martins (unless you have bought someone better :D)

I use this formation all the time and get great results, but it all depends on how good your full backs are, because they add the width but also need to be able to defend.

Ok great, cheers guys. Just out of interest, what roles/duties would you line up? And would you recommend this formation/setup for most games or just Barca?
my 4-2-3-1 was destructive

fbs auto
one cb defend
one ball playing cb cover

one mc ball winning support
one mc deep lying playmaker defend (but you want him to be a creative tough man like hargreaves, if you havent got a player like that you want him to be defensive rather than creative so change it ball winning mid defend)
aml amr inside forward attack
amc attacking mid attack
fc complete forward support (set his wideplay to normal so he stays central)

my 4-2-3-1 was destructive

fbs auto
one cb defend
one ball playing cb cover

one mc ball winning support
one mc deep lying playmaker defend (but you want him to be a creative tough man like hargreaves, if you havent got a player like that you want him to be defensive rather than creative so change it ball winning mid defend)
aml amr inside forward attack
amc attacking mid attack
fc complete forward support (set his wideplay to normal so he stays central)

Nice one. Looks good to me, I'll try that bad boy out + play around with the other suggestions.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 07:16 PM ----------

First leg at home.
Wolfsburg 2 Barcelona 1.
Yessss. And their goal was a penalty (& they got another penalty and missed, the idiots). I shan't mention that half their team was injured/unavailable.
Ended up using 4-1-2-1-2 but playing wider and hoofing it at Dzeko's massive head. Think he won every header he went for in the first half.

Hahaa well done mate. Who scored the goals?

I think Martins got one and then Dzeko the second. Used similar-ish tactics against Gladbach next game and beat them 4 - 0, Grafite hat trick + Ziani screamer free kick.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 06:54 PM ----------

Ok, so I beat them in the second leg too, 3 - 1. Then beat Man Utd sort of easily. Then beat Liverpool on penalties (they missed 3 in a row...).
Anyone got any quick tips for beating Fiorentina? I've finished 7th in the league which is pretty shameful so a champs league cup would be nice.

Woah nice work. You will need at least one anchor man against Fiorentina because they play with 3 attacking midfielders. Show all of the onto their weaker foot otherwise your goalkeeper will be pretty busy. They throw alot of men forward to attack so absorb the pressure and counter with pacey players and you should do alright.

Good luck!

Ive played them 6 times with city drew 2 won 4
It aint pretty beating them but it aint all that difficult
I use wingbacks (Maicon and lahm)mset to defend duty and hard tackling they take down the wingers on the half way line to stop the counter and toulalan snaps their CMs to stop the balls, also use your RCB to hold ibra with close down hard tackling etc and make sure you set a CB to man mark ibra at a corner otherwise you will get punished
Dont be scared to go atacking but Id advise keeping team instruct on standard and rely on your defensive minded players to halt their counters
If you go to defensive you invite the shots from distance
but if you step up to much you risk getting outdone by a through ball
I put my defensive line up against the big teams to the setting highest up but still displaying as normal

I've beaten barcelona many times with a 4-3-1-2 formation. 1x ball winning CM, 2x CM (all support), 1x AMC, 1x deep lying FW, 1x advanced FW. I went for direct passing since they press so much and you will lose the ball trying to play fancy football.

If this thread is still alive, I need help too. Using Chelsea, 4-3-3 Cole,Terry,David Luiz, Bosingwa - Lampard, Essien, Paulo Henrique - Zhirkov, Torres, Anelka

What keeps happening is my defense keeps crumbling in the first 10 minutes of the game. David Villa ripping them to shreds. They usually score 2 goals in the beginning.

Okay in my situation, I'm very very lucky. Xavi and Iniesta are out. But David Villa is scoring very well, and Messi is pretty quiet.

Please help! I've tried 4 times and I haven't been able to finish. The closest I've gone was a 3-5.

PS: I don't have malouda, cuz I loaned him out.