HELP! Defenders Brains Have Been Stolen

Dickybran

Banned
Reaction score
I'm managing Liverpool. I started off with a brilliant defensive record, going 13 games without conceding. But now other teams are scoring for fun against us. My central defenders are literally saying go on have a shot. What's going on???

Do you mean on the opposition instructions? If so I always do. I have my central defenders set to close down up to own half. I've always had my quickest central defender set to cover, and my other central defender as stopper. I'm now trying them both set to stopper.

Sign Gattuso. He'll attack anyone who scores.

hahahah, I ******* lold at thread name XD
Yea, sign gattuso, beside fotball player, he will attack stuff who traind him too XD
For real. Set some def player with high mental att ( caragher (sp)) : expect a performance! Should be nuff :D

If Morale is low,give them new contracts or arrange friendly with very small team and win!! ;)

I've joined Liverpool 3 years in, so Carragher and Kyrgiakos have retired. I have Shawcross, Skrtel and Agger to choose from. Morale was pretty low but it's too late now as I pessisted. Got to the Euro Cup final but lost on penalties even though we deserved to win in normal time. I've gone back to my Spurs save and am much happier. Just out of interest, I 've always had my quickest CB on cover and the other on stopper. Does anyone think having them both on stopper, or defend (what exactly does defend do?) or cover could work? I tried having them both on stopper and it seemed fine, I doubt both of them set to cover will work though.

try having messing with the opp inst. i'm assuming you're talking about opposition players dribbling through the middle or through balls that your defenders just stood and watched. I've noticed the best way to fix this is that in addition to assistant manager's advice on opp instructions do two things:

1. If they have two strikers up front, tight mark both first of all and then close down & tackle hard on the one with higher teamwork/passing skills. This is to pre-empt any one-twos that might get through the middle. If they are running a 4-3-2-1 formation or something where there is only one striker, then mark,close down, tackle, and weaker foot that single striker.

2. Most teams use wingers or a really fast wingback with good crossing. Make sure you set weaker foot and close down on these players.

These things require you to do some research on the players before you start the match. I notice that these little tweaks determines whether I get a 2-1 loss or a 1-0 win. Also, during half-time and throughout the match reassess your instructions. You might notice that some of the players do not need tightmarking or closing down.

Get Luis Suarez. You will have two goalkeepers and you will hardly concede.:D

Sign the aforementioned Gattuso, with Nigel de Jong and Mark van Bommel. I can bet £1000 that no-one will ever get near the goal and that there will be at least three broken legs in every match.

try having messing with the opp inst. i'm assuming you're talking about opposition players dribbling through the middle or through balls that your defenders just stood and watched. I've noticed the best way to fix this is that in addition to assistant manager's advice on opp instructions do two things:

1. If they have two strikers up front, tight mark both first of all and then close down & tackle hard on the one with higher teamwork/passing skills. This is to pre-empt any one-twos that might get through the middle. If they are running a 4-3-2-1 formation or something where there is only one striker, then mark,close down, tackle, and weaker foot that single striker.

2. Most teams use wingers or a really fast wingback with good crossing. Make sure you set weaker foot and close down on these players.

These things require you to do some research on the players before you start the match. I notice that these little tweaks determines whether I get a 2-1 loss or a 1-0 win. Also, during half-time and throughout the match reassess your instructions. You might notice that some of the players do not need tightmarking or closing down.

Sorry I didn't read this properly before. Should my defenders be set to cover/stopper/defend, and should I have my defenders set to tight marking as well? (in players individual settings)

Last edited:
arrange friendly with very small team and win!! ;)
I have actually found this to be one of the greatest solutions to any problem going.

I have witnessed several sides of mine have a run of god awful form for one reason or another, but if you get a friendly game sorted out with someone from somewhere relatively easy (New Zealand works for me), win the game and keep a clean sheet, moral sky rockets - the better the scoreline, the better the moral.

Right I've had a play around with these settings and it's working a lot better. There are a lot fewer balls getting through the middle of my defence. I've only conceded 1 goal per game in the last 3 games, once against Arsenal and 1 in each game I played against Sunderland. Two teams I usually really struggle to keep clean sheets against. But I think there is still room for improvement (I'm a perfectionist!). What defence settings should I have for both CB's? I usually have one on cover and the other stopper, is this still right?

Sorry guys, I'm still struggling. I'm not sure if the cover/stopper tactic is going to work with my players. I have a choice of Dawson, Bassong, King, Dann and Fazio to choose from. I don't think any of them are quick enough or have good enough anticipation to cover. And I'm still unsure what settings to put them on, limited defender/central defender/cover/stopper/defend. Any suggestions?