Help finding a tactic for Palermo/Crystal Palace

Goldenboy13

Reaction score
Really struggling to play this year's FM, cant even do a whole season, i am a veteran FM manager playing FM for many years by far this year's been worse for me in that the unrealistic number of shots that hit the bar, ridiculous amount of goals conceded from crosses, etc... etc...

I have tried a number of uploaded tactic, however nothing really worked well for me.

I used to be able to spot where things are going wrong and change them, I honestly believe that the engine in this year's FM is broken, for example the other day I had a game where all my players where getting rating of 7.0 at 0-0 then out of no where my CB passes the ball to their striker when it was easier to clear the ball, or pass to a team mate; yet the rating never dropped from 7.0 for the him, which was the final straw for me!!!
How are you meant to spot where things are going wrong!

I give each tactic up to Feb- March then I quit and try another tactic, as the things go on are ridiculous... I now realize it's impossible to play this game and no matter what I try it does the same thing...

The reason why I started this thread is to see if anyone else is having these problems I am really going off it, yet i am sad that I keep trying to make it work for me.

So if any one can help; please could you recommend a tactic for my team or a style to play with these...

View attachment 331575

I do enjoy managing in the championship, so my next save is either going to be using the above or start one with Crystal Palace. I would prefer to play short and quick passing however as I haven't got the players to do this;
I would consider anything you think would work well..

Please help.......................

PS: Please don't post comments if you are gonna suck up to SI and defend the game!! not interested in these comments ; there are enough evidence and enough people , including good friends of mine that played for many years and have decide not to play anymore due to the problems encountered in this year's match engine.

Last edited:
Hey bud,

I know you have been having problems with Fm13 so far so I am going to see if I can really help you as I have tried in the past but I feel that you are about to quit... which is something I can assure you, you do not want to do!

lets start off simple:

is this your tactic you are using? 19th September means you should have played a couple games. what are the results/league table?

I assume this is not your starting line up as is?? just a random SS of your squad correct?

Hi Raikan, thanks for your reply. Yes thats correct. i have played 3 so far, barely won 1-0 against some low league team in the cup, drew against parma 2-2 and drew against Catania at home 0-0.

No that isnt the tactic I used, its just a random one for the purpose of taking the screen shot.

Hi Raikan, thanks for your reply. Yes thats correct. i have played 3 so far, barely won 1-0 against some low league team in the cup, drew against parma 2-2 and drew against Catania at home 0-0.

No that isnt the tactic I used, its just a random one for the purpose of taking the screen shot.

so what are you using or what were you using?

I Used
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...hampions-his-first-season-led-them-shoot.html

First time of using I drew all first 6-7 games, conceding almost immediately after scoring from their only one highlight (attack) on Extended highlight!! (palermo, Catania, Cagliari, Pescara, Torino, Pescara) then i ran into milan, napoli, and Lazio and lost them all (Lazio were bottom of the league on very poor morale morale but created two crosses and scored them both) , then I drew with Siena, lost to Genoa home and I think I got sacked losing to Udinese away. i am back to where it was last saved and now decided to give this profile one more chance, even though i am tempted to start one with Crystal Palace instead!

yet both centre backs were getting 7.0 to 8.0 rating almost every game! no idea why or how! because they conceded from almost every cross and lost almost every 50-50 the went in for..

no ways in **** you can use that approach for Palermo mate :) very fluid? that only works well for top 3 teams!

I suggest dropping the CM support to DM defend and setting the WB's to FB's support, drop the defensive line a bit and increase width to normal

change to balanced and start at standard, if you can see you are dominating the game then switch to control/attack or if you are getting dominated, switch to counter/defend and play on the counter (tick box)
play very quick and very wide

that is just for using that tactic (crag is a good tactician, never seen that one before so not sure) but that is just for that tactic if you want to use it..

if you want to start a fresh, http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...m13-tactical-guide-beginners.html#post1650792 I suggest using this with the SI handbook near the bottom :)

see what roles will best suit your players and then from that see (with the roles in mind what team instructions best to use)

if you have a lot of wingers - attack, poachers, advanced forwards etc etc then play a quick tempo game

I suggest using pressing/zonal marking though for all tactics :0

if you have a lot of Dlp's/dm's, Ap's then play a slower, more controlled game as you will have the players and stats to control the game and best use the players creativity/passing off the ball stats etc :)

you get what I mean?

Top 3 teams? Southampton?? and in a tougher league than Seria A!!!! i feel i got better players than Southampton ...

i wont dwell on that tactic much it is one of many I have tried and i only tried it because it was tested for lower teams, such as Southampton....

yes mate, i tried all this, you asked what i used this time, but i have used rigid counter attack , direct and quick in the past with previous profiles not much different ..

is Zonal better or man marking better? i have tried both but i find zonal and closing down doesn't work as good as man marking?

I feel my problem is more than about understanding players roles, if i didn't understand roles and players then i would have wasted many years of playing FM! its more how to translate these issues that don't make sense , i.e most my games i am in control, keeping the ball well, playing nice football but just cant score ! as easy as i concede...

I think I need help to be good FM tactician, as is completely different real life football tacticians...

i think my problem is i am trying to play it as you would tactically approach a real football match which doesnt work! does that make sense?

Last edited:
Top 3 teams? Southampton?? and in a tougher league than Seria A!!!! i feel i got better players than Southampton ...

i wont dwell on that tactic much it is one of many I have tried and i only tried it because it was tested for lower teams, such as Southampton....

yes mate, i tried all this, you asked what i used this time, but i have used rigid counter attack , direct and quick in the past with previous profiles not much different ..

is Zonal better or man marking better? i have tried both but i find zonal and closing down doesn't work as good as man marking?

I feel my problem is more than understanding players roles, its more how to translate these issues that don't make sense , i.e most my games i am in control, keeping the ball well, playing nice football but just cant score ! as easy as i concede...

I know what you mean, I am just not a fan of very fluid :) I don't use it for any of my teams, never have, don't think I ever will!

when playing against a team like AC/Juve man marking will get your *** torn to pieces as they have very good technical players that can just pass the ball quickly from player to player which draws your players out of position as they close down quickly.. not a good idea

if you are up against a technically weaker team like Cagliari or Atalanta then this could work as you put them under pressure and the players will hopefully just hoof it back to you..

these are just guidelines, not 100% facts :)

i.e most my games i am in control, keeping the ball well, playing nice football but just cant score ! as easy as i concede...

there are so many factors that could affect this and influence this.. its hard to find a place to start..

where can you see yourself conceding? from crosses mostly?

if so, set your wingers to man mark their wingers (not tight marking if their winger is very quick and has high flair) so that you double up on them along with your FB's

set your defenders to limited defend/stoppers to just hoof the ball clear if in danger and not fart *** around with the ball

play a normal defensive line (literally halfway) to not push too far upfield leaving acres of space behind and not too far deep to allow all your opp to waltz into your half

are you playing very attacking wingers and fb's? (besides crags tactic which was)

now that would leave ACRES of space for the counter and opposition! I would not use that approach!

why wont it let me like posts sometimes? If it let me i would have click like then... i do mix it up yes i usually like to have my left one staying back, while my R fullback go forward more often, i will try changing this..

I do think I need help to be good FM tactician, as is completely different real life football tacticians...
I think my problem is i am trying to play it as you would tactically approach a real football match which doesn't work!

i am thinking of setting up

Standard
Rigid
full back on defend
defensive line half way
width - wide/very wide
counter tick - yes
high tempo??
zonal marking (with wide players on man mark)
should i have both CB's as stoppers or one cover and one stopper?
also two wingers or one converted to inside forward?
and finally high pressure or stand off?

-----------------------GK----------------------
Peruzzi----Strandberg---Munoz------Garcia
------------Ekdal---------Rios --------------
--------------------Illic------------------------
Dyer----------------------------------Fabbrini
-----------------Miccoli-----------------------

why wont it let me like posts sometimes? If it let me i would have click like then... i do mix it up yes i usually like to have my left one staying back, while my R fullback go forward more often, i will try changing this..

I do think I need help to be good FM tactician, as is completely different real life football tacticians...
I think my problem is i am trying to play it as you would tactically approach a real football match which doesn't work!

i am thinking of setting up

Standard
Rigid
full back on defend
defensive line half way
width - wide/very wide
counter tick - yes
high tempo??
zonal marking (with wide players on man mark)
should i have both CB's as stoppers or one cover and one stopper?
also two wingers or one converted to inside forward?
and finally high pressure or stand off?

-----------------------GK----------------------
Peruzzi----Strandberg---Munoz------Garcia
------------Ekdal---------Rios --------------
--------------------Illic------------------------
Dyer----------------------------------Fabbrini
-----------------Miccoli-----------------------

if you know what you are doing then recreating real life tactics is possible :) its not easy but its possible!

balanced
standard (then see how it pans out)
fb's - support
yes halfway (to start with or leave default)
width (defualt)
yes counter (you have the pace for it, Dyer/Fabbrini and start Hernandez rather)
quick tempo yes
exactly, set your wingers to close down (whole pitch max) tight marking (set them as mentioned to wingers) if you play team with no wingers, then leave zonal and closing down 15 (just above normal)
I honestly use defend/defend as I like to play a offside trap but see what works best for you
I would play wingers (thats my preference though) set their movement to move into channels (no long shots/run from deep sometimes)
pressing/zonal against equal/lesser teams and stand off against bigger teams away from home..

test them both out, see what works best for your players and approach :)