Help impove my 4-4-1-1 asymmetric tactic

galodoido

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'd love to have some advice o how to improve my tactics.

The first is one is a 4-4-1-1 that I use for home games in wich I expect to dominate, when I feel my team is better than the opposition. (I'm playing as swansea, first season). It works most of the time but I feel it is a little inconsistent and I don't know why.

here it is:

Control, very fluid. Play wider, lower tempo.

PIs are as follow:

- LFB: hold position
- CM(s): get further foward, close down more
- RWM(s): get further foward, cut inside with ball, shoot less often, close down more
- AM(s): get further foward, more risk passes, roam from position

HTML:
         AF(a) 

AM(s)

W(a)  CM(s)       WM(s)
            DLP(d)

FB(s) CD(d) CD(d) FB(a)

GK (d)

This is how I intend it to work:

- LFB will mostly stay back and defend
- RFB will overlap and use space left by the WM that will be cutting inside.
- WM should cut inside(I play a left footed guy here), and expect him to score a few goals but also to help in defence and help cover for the attacking FB.
- DLP will start moves from the back, be the holding midfielder and cover the attacking full back.
- CM(s) will play box to box. I'm expecting him to score a few goals as well
- W to give me width on the left and cross to the AF
- AM to supply the AF with through balls and to get late in the box to score some goals as well.
- AF the main scoring player.

Why i chose the TIs:

- Play wide to open space to atack since we will be facing very defensive opposition
- Lower tempo so the CM(s), WM and the AM(s) have time to get into the box to finish moves. Also to helo retain a little more possesion.

Last edited:
You have a tactic that you yourself admit does well most of the time? The key would be to examine the matches you didn't do well in.

I think the problem is that it sometimes doesn't create enough chances when opponents are defending deep. Maybe the tactic is too defensive? I don't think so because even being balanced I still get hit on counters once in a while.

I wouldn't say it's too offensive. If anything, it may be a bit too attacking with no one really controlling the midfield. Because of that, the DLP would need to get involved and that opens you up to counter attacks. It could be even worse depending on your FB/S's PPMs.

The LFB has no PPMs... As for the CM(s) I like to use a player with hight work rate, stamina and acceleration so he can play box to box. If my team scores I remove get further foward and add hold position to the CM(s). I could make him more conservative but I think that would not help in creating chances.

With the DLP also providing cover for your RB, your WM can be abit more attacking, maybe changing it to attack duty to give more support to your striker.

Have you tried changing the TM to attacking?