Help me design my favorite formation scheme

matisptfan

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm in the midst of preparing my last save for the summer in FM 2017 and I would like to get your guys help on a special formation I always wanted my team to play in.
So let's start with the basics, my tactical outline:

Formation (2x3x2x2x1 and 4x3x3)

Home (Mentality - attacking / Team shape - flexible)

View attachment 93402

View attachment 93400
Away (Mentality - control / Team shape - structured)

Team instructions (let's stick with the home version for now):

- Tempo - High (quick? - don't really remember the term)
- Width - Large
- Defensive Line - Normal
- Closing down - Much more
- Play out of defense
- Passing into space
- Shorter passing
- Low crosses
- Roam from positions

What do I envision with the combinations I've made:
I want an attacking team that uses both flanks avidly;
I want the anchor man to initiate the build up by going down and forming the 3rd - temporary - central defender;
I want the AP to dictate the tempo and the B2B to be the man who cover him going forward.

Simply put, it's a variation of a 4x3x3 at home and the most usual 4x3x3 away / for more difficult games, the latter in which I don't overexpose the full backs.

It's my predilect tactical disposition and I would like your guys help with the following questions:
- Changes in the roles (it might be uncompensated, I never quite get how to create balance)
- Changes in the PIS, TIs, for the sake of making it better.
- Opposite instructions: is there any specific ones I should have by default to tackle problems with the way I setup my play or that should be done on a game-by-game basis?
- What sort of PPMs should I rely on.

PS: I will be playing with Benfica, top contender to the title in the Portuguese League and with enough of a squad to at least make it to last 16 teams in Europe.

Last edited:
that formation is good for passing through defence style, because it features a decent number of triangles, so that's how I'd play it. More fluid and less agressive, lets say fluid counter.

Last edited:
I think you're better off trying it out yourself and seeing if there are issues. I'd question central midfield penetration in the first tactic though.