Help me pick my team, PLEASE, I'm pulling my hair, teeth and eyes out now!!!

Tafftalk

Reaction score
Goalkeepers: M Wolfli, R Fij

Left Backs: J Aurtenetxe, T Makonda, K Gibbs
Right Backs: M Zimmermann, S Lichtsteiner, S Vrsaljko
Centre Backs: C Carlisle, D Edger, C Smalling, X Torres, T Scobbie

Defence Midfield: O Hargreaves, X Torres, S Kehl, D Rivas
Left Midfield: Y Zhirkov, Bebe, I Traore, Ronaldinho
Right Midfield: G Wijnaldum, V Weiss, R Boudebouz
Centre Midfield: C McCann, J McCarthy, J Ledley

Forwards: A Carroll, Park Chu-Young, M Medina, D Nugent

I wouldn't be asking if I was not at my whits end. I'm Burnley in the 2013-2014 season. So far I have drew 0-0 to Birmingham, lost 4-0 to Everton, lost 3-0 to Sunderland, lost 2-1 to Arsenal.

My team was mediocre at best last season and I finished 6th in the Premier League, but I can't understand it. I sold 5 players and brought in about 7, and the team looks better and is technically a lot better, however I was even so desperate I saved and reloaded the Sunderland game around 5 times only to keep loosing between 3-0 to 5-1.

My usual formation is 4-1-3-2 or 4-1-2-2-1, starting 11 is usually:

GK: M Wolfli
L to R Defence: T Makonda, D Edgar, C Carlisle, S Vrsaljko
DMF: O Hargreaves
L to R Midfield: Y Zhirkov, C McCann, G Wijnaldum
Forwards: A Carroll, Park Chu Young

My starting strategy is usually on Counter, with a few instructions like "Get Ball Forward" (a requirement because the players don't know which direction to go in without this present), and "Hassle Opponent" (Also required because the players will just follow the opposition half way around the pitch until they shoot).
---

By my desperate tone, you must know I am close to just uninstalling and leaving this series here, maybe try Championship Manager instead or something, because it just doesn't make sense any more.

Seeing as you signed 7 players try putting your match preparation to "Team Blend". That might help a bit.

How are you conceding goals? And are you creating chances?

may I suggest the following:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...kan007s-perfect-4-3-3-tactic.html#post1006935

Raikan007's Perfect 4-4-2 - Downloads - FM-Base - Football Manager 2011 Tactics, Wonderkids, Updates & Cheats

you have a decent team there and should not be loosing like you do...

for the 4-3-3 tactic I would suggest the following starting lineup:

Gk: Wolfli

Cb: Smalling/Edgar
Lb: Gibbs
Rb: Vrsaljko

Dm: Kehl
Cm: Hargreaves, Wijnaldum
Lm: Zhirkov
Rm: Boudebouz

St: Park Chu Yong

you seriously need better Cb's and centre mids as well as better strikers and a new Keeper mate! you are lacking a lot on these departments!

Bringing 7 new people in and just throwing them in to the team won't do any good for your squad harmony.

Ben, that was already covered, try adding a bit more help when posting in future please. thanks bud

Hi mate, thought I'd offer my opinion as like yourself I'm managing Burnley and I've experienced similar problems... The highest I've finished is 8th but then the season after with an improved team I could only manage 10th. After some tweaking, I'm top after 8 games in the 2014-15 season, whilst I probabaly won't finish there the team is performing like never before...

Don't rely on the player roles working effectively without tweaking them i.e. If you set a player to DM support, for some reason they are given a ridiculous amount of creative freedom when really you probably want them to have the opposite. So I'd definitely look into that.

You have good players there mate, I know from having Boudebouz and Vrsaljko (Leverkusen poached him, the swines!) how good they are. I think it was mentioned before but you could probably do with a couple of new DC's. Check on Jordan Spence and James Tomkins, I've got them both and Spence in particular is very good.

I'm currently playing a staggered 4231 with an DML and MCR and it is working well. That could be worth a go

Keep an eye out for the regens as well, I've got a couple in my team who are unbelieveably good and if you get in there quick you can get them fairly cheap a lot of the time.

As others have said its probably because you signed so many new players and chucked them straight into the team. Who are you? What are your season expectations? I signed 2 or 3 new players at the start of the season and i was really struggling until January and now i've hit form and the team are playing well together.

You might have players where you think they can finish 4th but its not going to happen in the first season give them time to gel and they will become a fantastic team, I find it difficult because i always want to improve my team when i have 30 million to spend its easy to bring lots of players in but just make a couple big signings that speak English so they fit straight into the team.

Am I right because this is something i haven't been doing and i always perform bad at the start of the season.

Hey, I honestly didn't think anyone would reply to me, I was a tad under the influence of the old red mist when I wrote this.

Raikan, thanks for the tips and help, After another loss I decided to try it out against Newcastle, withing the first 10 minutes I went 2-0 down, thought to myself: "Here we go again". I made a few tweaks to it and came back to draw level at half time, before I knew it I was up another two and won the game 4-2, next game I tweaked a bit more and beat Wolfsburg in my Europa qualifier 3-1 and now I have just managed to beat West Ham 3-0. It's looking like it has a lot of potential for me and I am currently using it as a framework to try and make a defensive tactic out of it aswell for the bigger games like Arsenal and Man City.

jnoodles, thanks alot for the tweaking advice, it made a big difference to Rivas now that he has stopped trying to dribble the ball around the pitch with his horrendous attacking stats, and has started to turn out good, consistent performances. I've put Spence and Tomkins on the old radar, just waiting on a scout report. I also got a few regens on the radar aswell, one in particular is 15 with a 5* potential.

I get what your say avfc-ncfc, the only problem is that unless I make the signings I'll progressively get worse, and since we managed to get into Europe for the first time, my squad simply was not big enough to cover the inevitable 5-6 week injury that usual rears it's ugly head. I'd love to have a squad were I can pick up 2 or 3 big signings a season but I'm not yet at that point. Maybe next season I'll only have to bolster the ranks with a new defender and keeper (got my eye on Shawcross who's going for £8,000,000 and Handanovic for £2,000,000).

On another note, I'm halfway through the season and Chelsea are 19th in the league :L

glad its working for you :) the 4-3-3 is probably one of the better defensive tactics around :) I hope you can tweak it perfectly for your team. Match prep - team blend for around 3 months change the roles to suit your players. as you said, use it as a template to design a tactic that suits your team and you get the best out of :)

post your results here if you like ;) good luck!

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...kan007s-perfect-4-3-3-tactic.html#post1006935

Hey, I honestly didn't think anyone would reply to me, I was a tad under the influence of the old red mist when I wrote this.

Raikan, thanks for the tips and help, After another loss I decided to try it out against Newcastle, withing the first 10 minutes I went 2-0 down, thought to myself: "Here we go again". I made a few tweaks to it and came back to draw level at half time, before I knew it I was up another two and won the game 4-2, next game I tweaked a bit more and beat Wolfsburg in my Europa qualifier 3-1 and now I have just managed to beat West Ham 3-0. It's looking like it has a lot of potential for me and I am currently using it as a framework to try and make a defensive tactic out of it aswell for the bigger games like Arsenal and Man City.

jnoodles, thanks alot for the tweaking advice, it made a big difference to Rivas now that he has stopped trying to dribble the ball around the pitch with his horrendous attacking stats, and has started to turn out good, consistent performances. I've put Spence and Tomkins on the old radar, just waiting on a scout report. I also got a few regens on the radar aswell, one in particular is 15 with a 5* potential.

I get what your say avfc-ncfc, the only problem is that unless I make the signings I'll progressively get worse, and since we managed to get into Europe for the first time, my squad simply was not big enough to cover the inevitable 5-6 week injury that usual rears it's ugly head. I'd love to have a squad were I can pick up 2 or 3 big signings a season but I'm not yet at that point. Maybe next season I'll only have to bolster the ranks with a new defender and keeper (got my eye on Shawcross who's going for £8,000,000 and Handanovic for £2,000,000).

On another note, I'm halfway through the season and Chelsea are 19th in the league :L

Yeah you have to make big signings but look at Manchester City they probably have players capable of pushing for the title yet aren't near it. You make big signings but shouldnt expect them to gel straight away, once you have built a team that up to your standards give them time to gel and once they have your team will perform.

While your building your squad expect slight underachievment.