Help me tweak my tactic. 4123wide attack

Mufcleemo

Reaction score
I used to play football manager years ago or champ manager I think it was!
Recently downloaded this fm16.
I'm currently at 16/02/19

I'm a man utd fan and have stated as them from the start.
Had a rough patch to begin with them started from scratch with a 4123 wide formation.

Since then I've been tweaking it and it seems Roche doing well.
It's mainly good for games in going all out to win. I could do with some defensive suggestions and any general improvements in roles etc.

2015/16
Capital one cup winner
Champions cup knocked out by juve semi final
Fa cup runner up
English premier division 3rd

2016/17
Capital one cup ko by spurs in quarter final
Champions cup knocked out by chelsea semi final
Fa cup ko by chelsea in semi final
English premier division winners
Community shield winners

2017/18
Capital one cup runners up
Champions cup knocked out by psg in semi final
Fa cup winner
English premier division winners
Community shield winners

2018/19
Capitalcome cup Knocked out by man city in swmi final
Ko by shef weds 4th round of fa cup
Qualified for champions cup.

Pics of current set up should be attached. (My first post)

ccbe87d4b76cbaac3c9ceeb39217604e.jpg

32bcb1edf24ec411452d4b74b9f5bc60.jpg

Usually have Shaw where Suliman is a at LB
Swap Tielemans with Pogba
Swap Sanches with Herrera
Swap Bazoer with Schneiderlin or soon R Neves
Swap Depay with Martial
Swap Rugani with Marquinhos
Swap Laporte with smallimg or Fosu Mensah
Swap Darmian with Callum Chambers
Swap De Gea with Oblak
Swap Barbosa with Isco
Swap Dybala with Wilson

So got cover for pretty much everyone ......

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I need to win the the champions cup this season!!
Any ideas on nest roles to use for the striker ???

You have too many play makers in your tactic along with the retain possession TI this may slow down your attacks and allow opposition to reorganise in certain situations, I would recommend sticking to 2 play makers at the maximum so I would suggest changing your striker to a DLF/A so he will score, create and is not isolated.

Your defensive midfielder may push forward too much as a DLP/S and leave a gap between the defence and midfield, if the opposition play with an attacking midfielder they may be able to exploit this and cost you a lot of goals, set your defensive midfielder to either a DLP/D or a DM/D.

Reduce your closing down from much more to more as your players may be pressing too much and getting pulled out of position when they should be keeping their shape, try setting your other centre back to a CD/cover this will make your CB partnership a lot more defensively solid although I personally prefer both to be on just defensive if you intend on playing a high line.

If you want to add variation to your attack try setting one side of your tactic on IF/A and WB/S and the other IF/S and WB/A this will allow your wing backs to over lap and make your team less predictable, if you want set one of your CM's to a CM/A, if you do this and change the BBM's role make sure you have the Advanced playmaker on hold position.

I would also try adjusting my teams width depending on the opposition you are playing and exploiting a certain part of the pitch if the team report says the opposition has a weakness, for e.g West Ham have conceded 21/43 goals down the left flank then exploit the left flank and set your IF on attack.

Last of all you have selected play out of defence, work ball into box and retain possession, all these together may slow down your attacks and if you are playing on anything less than a control mentality you may struggle to create much chances, try removing retain possession or work ball into box and only include one and set your CB's PI to pass shorter and remove play out from the back as sometimes your centre backs may play a short pass when they can pump the ball forward in a certain situation and start a counter attack.

Overall a good tactic for someone who has only recently started playing the game again, good luck man.

Last edited:
Cheers for replying for a start!
I know it's hard to get going on a big forum like this ;)

I've changed some bits. Rather than write them out I'll show ya :)
Got a game against man city coming up, the team report show common assist type is right wing. So I've set inside forward attack for my rwf

Done what you suggested on the cbs.

Still fiddling with that 3rd midfield position on the left. And full backs roles

So with a few tweaks (thanks!) I've gone from losing to Swansea.
To hammering man city 5-1 pic shows both match stats

Seems to have worked well so far! Haha sound. See how it goes .
f52c4fbe030607a16d41fe666337d061.jpg
170e3d5c2cea477400be3fbf5af8b06f.jpg