Reaction score
Hi i am in the 5th season as liverpool n have won the league the last four season and recently have won champion league for the second time but this season it seems my team can only do well against the better team n i have been drawing most of my games against teams like sunderland, wolves, birmingham and blackburn i have also just lost 2-1 against QPR i have a very good team and am doing very well in all cups but i am currently 8th in the league after 18 games please help. this is my team...

------------------------------------Reina--------------------------------------
---G.Johnson-------P.Mexes---G.Chiellini-------J.Carragher---
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------S.Gerrard---Hamsik---------------------------
---L.Messi-----------------------------------------------------F.Ribery---
--------------------------F.Torres------D.Villa-----------------------------

Need help with player roles and team instructions

Thanks guys

Player Roles

Reina:Sweeper Keeper/Keeper
Glen Johnson:Full Back Automatic
P.Mexes:Central Defender(Cover)
G.Chiellini:Central Defender(Defend)
J.Carragher(Please change him):Full Back (Defend)
S.Gerrard:Move him into the attacking mid role and set him to Attacking midfielder(Attack)
Hamsik:experiment with him
Lionel Messi:Inside forward(Attack)
F.Ribery:Inside forward(Attack)
F.Torres:Advanced Forward(Attack)
D.Villa:poacher(Attack)

You can switch Torres and Villa' roles if you want

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

I not sure about Hamsik or Ribery cause i have never managed either of them and remember to set your pitch narrow

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Or if u want to lwave Gerrard where he is u can set him to Box to Box midfielder

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

leave*

Lol thanks mate ill try that out i am trying to find a replacement for jamie but he is actually doing well in that position lol anyway thanks again

Another thing is your formation is extremely attacking and no matter what u will let in goals remove Hamsik and try get in a good defensive midfielder like Lucas,Javier Mascherano and Yaya Toure this will enable Steven Gerrard to operate in a free role and be more attacking.Hamsik can back-up for him.Plus i suggest you try get in Fabregas or a creative midfielder like Guti or Xavi and If you can i will be able to put forth a much better tactic which is sure to give you results

Thanks mate i do have mascherano so ill give tht ago cheers mate

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Another thing is your formation is extremely attacking and no matter what u will let in goals remove Hamsik and try get in a good defensive midfielder like Lucas,Javier Mascherano and Yaya Toure this will enable Steven Gerrard to operate in a free role and be more attacking.Hamsik can back-up for him.Plus i suggest you try get in Fabregas or a creative midfielder like Guti or Xavi and If you can i will be able to put forth a much better tactic which is sure to give you results

If i put Mascherano in def mid what should i put gerrard as in centre mid? (box to box - attack or support)?

Yeah and one more thing mate i may seem to be going on and on but playing torres and villa together is not that good cause

1)They are so similar to each other in terms of pace,agility etc.
2)This means they do not benefit from each others presence
3)Playing them as lone striker is more effective as they both are speed merchants
4)PLaying them together will give you a pair which do nto complement or help each other in any way

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

i gotta go now mate but i'd be delighted to continue this later on,just watch for new posts by me on ur thread later on

Ok i wen i first bought villa i was gunna play him as lone striker n i did for a couple of games both torres and villa didn't do very well wen playing alone they would alway get out numbered that is why i have been playing them together and they both are scoring bags of goal so ill have to think about tht one thanks anyway mate

sure mate but what role and duty were u playing them when they were up alone.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Plus playing 1 lone striker will allow you to put more men in midfield and put steven gerrard in his favoured role plus having more men in midfield will give you a better defense and support for your world-class attackers

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:48 PM ----------

Ok mate let me give u your ideal formation

----------------------Reina-------------------------------------
-----Johnson---------Mexes---------Chiellini------Carragher
..............................................Mascherano...........................
.............................Lucas......................................................
.................................Gerrard...............................................
......Messi.............Villa/torres......................F.Ribery......

Macherano-Defensve Mid defend
Lucas-Ball Winnign Mid support
Gerrard-Attacking Mid attack
Messi-Inside forward attack
Torres/villa-Advanced forward attack
F.Ribery-Winger attack

As with the guys above, I would drop Hamsik and play a defensive midfielder (with this role set to defend) like Mascherano behind Gerrard, who can be a Box-to-Box midfielder with Hamsik as back-up. This formation is actually called 4-2-4 possession. This would probably be the best use of those players, without a complete re-jig.

However, one of the problems I can see with this is that you effectively have 4 strikers all running at their centre-backs, the 2 in the middle as well as the 2 inside forwards. This will not leave much space in the middle for Torres and Villa to make runs. I would change Messi and Ribery to Advanced Playmakers on the wing, and change their wide-play to move into channels. This will give them the option to go inside or outside the full-back, depending on space as well as provide your strikers with more through-balls to take advantage of their pace.

Lastly, I would maybe change Torres to a Complete Forward as this will change his movement slightly, meaning he and Villa won't get in each other's way so much. He will create more space, maybe turn into more of a provider but equally will see more of the ball from the midfield in front of the centre-backs, and with his pace should be able to play a one-two and get behind the defence, instead of drifting wide as he will as an Advanced Forward.

Hope this helps, cos that team should be winning every match.

Nice mate mike;s advice should definetly help as I was only suggesting a tactic which had been very succesful for me

this is the tactic i use for liverpool give it a try its a 4-5-1 positions are
goalkeeper
full back support
cb cover
cb stopper
dm defend
dlp support
apl attack
2x inside forwards
complete forward works a treat