MurrayTheMac

Reaction score
Hey, just started a game with Wycombe Wanderers, and I can tell my formation isn't going quite right. I have a slow defence but some ok-pace wingers and forwards, so I'm trying a 4-2-3-1 Deep.

4231deep.png

At the moment I'm stopping the opposition from getting too many goals, but my goalscoring opportunities just don't seem to be materialising. I'm not creating enough scoring opportunities in the game. Anybody have any advice on what can could be done to improve this tactic, please?

try changing focus passing to mixed rather than down both flanks, your attacking mid is in the middle so u want him to get some of the ball to make some chances!

I would bring the AMC deeper and make sure that I had a playmaker type of player in that role

Agree with the above, the AMC is the key in that formation. You might also want to try making him an advanced playmaker or trequartista, and setting him as your playmaker.

I'm going to disagree with the above advice about the AMC as advanced playmaker. That works for short passing, posession-based games, but not for a strategy based on fast counters from deep.

Stick to the DLP, but try setting him as playmaker. If he's the only one capable of accurate long balls, you'll want him to get the ball asap, and ping it upfield. You might try unchecking the Tempo instruction, as the default should be good for a counter strategy - fast players still run fast - but setting it too quick might be rushing your DLP into inaccurate long balls. Also, set your poacher as Target Man, with Target Man Supply set to 'Run onto ball'. Use the shouts 'get ball forward' and 'pass into space'.

Change the wide mids to wingers. Inside forwards are great when your FBs are forward on the touchline to occupy the opposition FBs, but if your winger gets the ball on a counter, he'll just get tracked by their FB while running towards the CBs. This also reduces space for your poacher and AMC. If wingers get the ball on a counter, they're better off beating the FB to the byline and laying-off to the onrushing poacher or AMC. Another way to think of this is that there's no benefit to bringing a wide player inside unless you've got someone else wider - all you're doing is narrowing the play and reducing space, and that generally works to the benefit of the defence.

Having said that, you could try one IF and one Winger, which may be the best solution if they are both right (or left) footed. This can work well when both are comfortable on either side of the pitch and they are set to swap - dragging an FB inside can become a good thing if someone's ready to exploit the space.

Change to less roaming. Counter strategies don't need to find space amongst other players - the only space they should care about is between the last defender and the goal. As long as you have at least one player wide, make sure your poacher's wide play is 'normal' (you want him in front of goal at all times) and try setting your AMC's wide play to 'moves into channels' to let him exploit any space around the 18 yard box).

Other useful shouts are: Work ball into box - stops long shots, which are bad for counters - the last thing you want is for a player bearing down with just the goalie ahead of him to shoot from 35 yards. Clear ball to flanks - encourages your defence to punt clearances to where your wingers might be able to latch on and start a counter.

Also, if your wingers are struggling to beat their FBs, Hit early crosses.

If you just can't get past a particular tough defence, try either Run at Defence or Play through Defence, or even switching between them.