HELP! Recreating Paul Lambert 4-1-2-1-2- Norwich fans needed for advice

FriedGoose

Reaction score
Looking at creating Norwichs back to back promotion, I believe Villa saw the same diamond at the start.

My focus lies in: Complete Forward attack with Target Man support, width comes through wingbacks; with crossing ser to often, floated. I'm at Leeds, I have Noel Hunt and Matt Smith, perfect strikers for it. Just need help regarding team instructions and the midfield 4, as I hadn't seen the tactic regularly and I'm confused as to what the player behind the strikers does..

Any help at all would be appreciated.

I would probably say that you would consuder using 2 formations. ONe normal Narrow Diamond, en one with the AMC dropped in to MCc and the Complete forward dropped in to AMCleft as a Inside FC on attack ( the Target man played as Fcright)

You need to make sure your full backs are amongst your best players as they will be vital, they're your only natural width and on a wide pitch if they struggle you most likely will in general. I would set your DM as an Anchor man - again it's vital he is one of your best players aswell because he needs to break up the play a lot, especially when your in possession and the full backs are getting forward, leaving you possibly exposed in defence for counters - needs to be a good tackler, marker and concentration is vital. Bit of speed is good too to catch up with breaking opposition players.

As for your 2 CM's, depending on who they are as I'm unsure on Leeds midfield to be honest, I would probably go for a box to box mixed with a deep lying playmaker. Usually a good pairing to have especially in a diamond - one sits back and pings balls to the AM and strikers, or your box to box midfielder if he has made a good run. Standard stat's needed for these positions - deep lying playmaker needs passing, creativity, tackling and marking still quite important as he will lay deep. Anticipation is a good one to. Box to box needs a solid work rate, team work, stamina, off the ball, and finishing and long shots are great to have aswell.

As for your AM you could have a little bit of flexibility here - depending on your striker roles. Looking at yours with the target man and complete forward, a little uncommon as a partnership however could work well with the right players, you'd probably be best off with a regular Attacking Midfielder role, probably Support on away games and Attack at home, good to use him on Support for away games as he sits a little deeper and it's easier to retain possession this way.

Good luck

Target man Complete forward was what was used when Norwich were in league one; Chris Martin and Grant Holt. My two wingbacks are sensational in the championship, if you know Sam Byram he's 20 too.. And Stephen Warnock if he has the stamina. Ill test the midfield two, I decided to go with DLP and CM automatic.. Just to make sure there's always a passing outlet

Wes was a Trequartista and Id say forwards F9 (Jackson) poacher (Holt)