Help! Target man formation and Tactic needed

Liam19871

Reaction score
Playing as Forest and they went and bought a TM as key player. From previous experience they are god aweful to play with and struggling to find a working tacti . Help much needed! Thanks

Playing as Forest and they went and bought a TM as key player. From previous experience they are god aweful to play with and struggling to find a working tacti . Help much needed! Thanks
I'd suggest a formation where the target man has a partner who can either supply him or he supplies the partner, so a 442, 4132, 4312 or 532.

I've been looking at how the TM plays recently and I would suggest that he'll need someone playing very close to him in your formation. In a central two (middle) I find the distance too far from each other, so play one central and the striker central left or central right (so the front two look off-centre so to speak), otherwise use a Shadow Striker. Good luck!

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-17-tactics/365333-mourinhos-red-devils.html

try this one,copy the setting to FM18.
change the CF to TM-Su,its work great.

& keep this in mind,TM need HIGH agg stat.

TM with high Agg stat = good.
TM with very low Agg = poor.

I’ve had excellent results using target men.

set your target man off centre (STCR or STCL). Change this depending on who you play so you can line him up against their CB who is weakest in the air (take into account bravery as well!)

I then pair him with a shadow striker who plays ‘alongside’ Him. So if TM is STCL shadow striker plays AMCR.

I stick a mezzala on attack duty behind the SS so he can run into the spaces he creates.

These 3 roles work nicely together then the rest of the tactic depends on what’s available in your squad to make it balanced.

Also if you have a CB with some good attack attributes you can retrain as a target man! Think of English players in the 90s who could play both roles (Dion Dublin, Chris Sutton etc)

Last edited: