Shotten

Reaction score
Hello everyone. So currently I'm getting good results with my tactic but that's mainly due to having a great defence. I wan't to know if anyone can spot out some instant improvements for my tactic or if you're expereinced in the 4-2-3-1 wide I'd like to know what your say to my tactic is.

Tactic: Instructions: Inside Forward: Right Winger: Advanced Playmaker:
View attachment 76674 View attachment 76673View attachment 76672View attachment 76670View attachment 76667
Advanced Forward:
View attachment 76666

Last edited:
Are there any problems you're seeing with your tactic? Do you struggle against certain formations or teams parking the bus or teams much stronger than you? You'll need to give more stats, results or just general info about how you're tactic is working for people to help properly.

Control Mentality combined with Retain Possession, combined with Work Ball in to Box can be overkill sometimes and can be bad for creating chances as you're basically saying to the players just keep the ball unless you've got somebody wide open in the area, which is normally quite rare

Appreciate the input, I haven't kept an eye out as to which formation I may struggle with, there's a way I can check that up instead of going through all the games I've had using this tactic?

I wasn't aware of that, I do create very small amount of chances (Keyballs) I usually don't have more than 2-4 Key passes in 1-0 or 2-0 victories. What's the benefit of removing retain possesion and keep the other two (Control) (Work ball into box) or vice versa. Thanks for your help!

You can see the info if you go to Tactics->Analysis->Tactics->Tactics faced

Retain Possession is like selecting shorter passing and Fewer risky passes on your team. I never really use that shout, I'm playing as Leeds and I have a lot of players who are average passers but don't have the best vision or decisions stats.

I don't use any of the team instructions I just manually set all of the positions to shorter passing, my central midfielders and defence are all set to less risky passes as well, then I have Sam Saiz (or Pablo Hernandez) as my number 10 (as a Trequartista who has more direct passing and more risky passes, basically he is the creative hub for the team, the rest of the team is basically set to just get him the ball, then when he gets it his focus is solely to unlock the door, whether thats whipping out to my wingers in space or a through ball to Lasogga in front

It works ok for me so far, if he is getting marked out of the game then the less risky passes on the other players means they don't keep searching for him and we keep the ball and just recycle it until there's a crossing opportunity

Might not necessarily work for you but the way I look at it is team instructions can be overrated as they also encourage players who aren't comfortable on the ball to hold on to it until there's a chance for an safe pass, but it also limits your flair players to playing in a restricted way too or players with low work rate and aggression to close down all the time which just doesn't suit them.

Player instructions are my favoured way of setting up teams but it's probably more time consuming so just depends what you're wanting to achieve in the game

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch! Looks like I struggle the most against 4-4-2, where same rated or higher rated clubs gets more chances than my team.

The way you phrase it makes a good point. I've always liked having team instructions because it kinda shows the way my team is going to play. Not as reliant on individual performances. But it's awesome to see you find succes using that method. I might try that in my next save! Thanks for your help :).

Oh btw, can I ask if you use go further forward on your wingers? (assuming you have wingers)

it seems like if u dont have 3CB´s this year youre ******.
trying to get a 4231 with good defence but thats not possible, could happen with 2 DM´s.

I have to disagree with you here. As with 4-2-3-1 I've only led in 8 goals in the league after 13 games. But "only" managed 22 goals. I know that's decent enough! But my problem is constant flaws and I feel like I'm getting some individual ace performances from my CAM as my striker and wingers have a good game every 3 or so game.

well u right about some players doing alot of **** games. after 6 games my wingers, striker and OMC had like 6,5 every game.
still it seems like there is a flaw whit this game when it comes to defending, every game over the years had its flaws..... u cant have not noticed that?