Jimble

Reaction score
Hi all, been reading the forums for a while so decided to register :D

I'm relatively new to FM games and have recently purchased 09. Wonder if any of you guys can help me out with where I am going wrong.

I am playing as Aston Villa. My pre season was excellent, and I didn't lose a single game. I lost my first couple of games in the Prem then went on a 9 match unbeaten run which saw me go up to 5th in the table. Everything was looking good.

The fixtures then fell ever so kindly for me that I got Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea consecutively :mad: Needless to say I got my **** handed to me in all 4 matches. Ever since then my season has been absolutely ruined. I have won 1 game (against PSV in Europe) out of the last 15 and have suffered heavy defeats at the hands of Wigan, Bolton and Stoke. I am now languishing 18th and expecting the sack. No matter what I do I can not get out of this dreadful spell for love nor money.

My strikers (Pogrebnyak and Agbonlahor) simply will not score, Ashley Young & Milner are permanently knackered, and I don't actually think I have a defence. Leaky is not the word.

I have tried Steuea Bucherest's Villa tactics from the other thread and even that is not working. My current situation is using those tactics with the team:-

Friedel
Luke Young
Davis
Cuelar
Marcelo
Reo Coker
Barry
A Young
Milner
Pogrebnyak
Agbonlahor

Any pointers as to what I can try to get out of this mess would be greatly received 8-|

Thanks guys

hello,

just play simple 4-4-2 with wingers running down the flanks, Play pavel Pogrebnyak or big john carew as target man and set them to hold up ball and play abgonlahor to play off him making foward runs

play ashley young and milner as 'ML' and 'MR' andput foward arrows making them wingers and set them to cross and aim for your 'Target man' and also give them nearly a full bar of creative freedom

looking at your squad on your post i would guess Gareth Barry is your player-maker if not put him as your play-maker and give him a free role and creative freedom as the same as ashley young and milner.

it will take a while for your team to get settled to your formation and et.c so give it time and the results will come

another thing is if you are clear favourites against a team your playing just play your full team to keep the momentum going throughout your team

sorry for the layout lol.

Last edited:
oh yh forgot.

set ashley young to take your left hand corners and gareth barry to take the right hand corners

to make the corner in-swinging which is better and set martin laursen to attack nearpost and someone else to challenge keeper.

u need to analysize your team better look at whats worrying them so that you can make them happy osrting problems such as contract worries. Next thing you should do is get a big hitter up front as the russian dude and agbonhloahor will not socre you too many goals. I personal reccomend oscar cardoza or humberto suazo they will both score you lots of goals. the next thing is u sud experimetn with some newer tactics maybe in the cups and in europes.Try using tehe basic diamond formation in standrard tactics this got my weaned everton side up to 8th when they were fdwon in 18th in january. Another technique i would reccomend is psuing the wingers in a 442 formation up so they are ina 4222 formation. Make sure you get the ball into the box as often as possible and make sure you have 2 defensive minded midfielders playing in midfield. petrov and barry would be find. You should look at a long term replacement for Bradley. Also fish out the dead wood in the club and possibley release a few coaches to bring a fresh approach to the club and also walk out for alex wilkinson in your next season do not let him go!!!!
anyways i hope i helped and take a look at my challenge guys!!

bro...try my tactics. i also playing aston villa and just finish my 1st season in 4th position. hope my tactics will suitable with your team.

btw...this is my transfer history in my 1st season.

Thanks for your help guys.

Will try some of your suggestions and see if i can save my job!

I can see another frustrating day ahead.

EDIT: The misery continues. 4 games played today so far:- 3-0 defeat by Portsmouth, 2-0 defeat by Spurs, 2-0 Defeat by West Ham, 3-0 defeat by Man City.

Got my run of games against the "big 4" to close the season now so I think I can safely say I am relegated and sacked

Last edited:
I always get that... I had a run of this ''Man Utd, Spurs, Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool'' when i was West Ham and it gets more frustrating when you don't pick up many points from them and end up losing to Stoke and Bolton haha.

This games ceases to amaze me.

I got beat by all the weak teams so I switched to a 3-5-2 defensive formation as "damage limitation" for my run against the big 4.

I've now just beaten Arsenal 2-0 away and Liverpool 3-2 at home. Totally, totally bizarre.

I think I might have found a tactic that works!!

I understand that, I had a dreadful run with West Ham in which I didn't win in 9 games, losing to Newcastle 3-0, yet after a swap around with tactics I knocked Chelsea out of the FA Cup 3-2 at Stamford Bridge.

Well, the season has just finished. I managed to save Villa from relegation and ended up in 15th.

After the Liverpool and Arsenal games, I drew with Chelsea, beat Man Utd away 2-1 then lost to West Brom!!!

It looks like I have saved my skin but the board say I "should be performing slightly better"

I think a few select additions to the squad in the summer and my new tactic should hopefully see a much better season next year!

Good luck - Iv found with my Everton team the simpler the tactics the better the results. I just play a standard 4-4-2 with a few tweaks on team instructions. I think its very easy to over-complicate tactics!

Well, the summer has been and gone, players have been added to the squad (GK - Asenjo and Midfielder - Witsel)

Pre season was a mixed bag of emotions in the friendlies, but I was quietly confident with my tactics going into the start of the Premiership as my opening fixtures weren't too horrendous (Everton, Man Utd, Wolves, Fulham)

Seeing as I'm now sitting pretty propping up the table after losing all 4 matches, I think we can safely say that my 3-5-2 tactic isn't as good as it seemed like it was going to be at the end of last season!

Frustration is not the word

After not much consideration, I've decided to sack this game off.

I know the idea of FM is to build your team/tactics etc but as someone who is learning the ropes, a season and a quarter of defeat after defeat after defeat with seemingly no light at the end of the tunnel, is not much fun at all.

I think I need to practice with a slightly better team to get used to how the game works