mccollio09

Reaction score
Main details
Need help training Fred Sears for West Ham. I initially thought that if I could just maintain his current stats and get his finishing and composure up maybe two or three points each, he'd be a perfect poacher for me and an ideal replacement for Benni McCarthy. Anyway, cut a long story short, I devised what I thought would be an ideal individual training schedule for him, and for some reason, his stats have just took a massive hit downwards on pretty much all the areas I was wanting him to develop most in (including one point slides in finishing and composure). I did have the option to loan him out as 'a valuable first team member' to Milwall, but I figured some first team appearances in the league and cup and my training would be more beneficial.
Stats image and training schedule shown in images below.
N.B IGNORE THE INJURY HE HAS IN THAT SCREENSHOT, HE PICKED IT UP IN A MATCH SO IT WASN'T TRAINING RELATED, AND HIS STATS TOOK THE MASSIVE DIVE BEFORE THE INJURY.

Basically, my questions are, is it just an unlucky month where he has been lazy? Am I doing something wrong?

Background info:

Started a save with West Ham known as 'the home grown challenge', ie. I can only purchase players under 17 or develop players that are home grown already at West Ham.

After having a thorough reading through Mantralux's excellent post 'A training masterclass' and Raikans compilation of info telling you how to get the best out of training young players - tutoring, loans, giving sub appearances etc, I felt suitably equipped to take on this challenge.

(I've also looked into the post called Chalkboard tactics, which is giving me excellent results for individual players particularly my fullbacks, but thats off topic)

So far, so good concerning results (and giving my promising youth team lots of first team footy), 7th in the league after 14 games. I've made individual training regimes for pretty much all my prospects. Spence, Tomkins, Stanislas, Holmar Hywhatshisname have all cemented themselves in the first team with big jumps in stats and 7+ ratings.

His determination is quite bad..
except that I don't really know, I mean your coaches looks brilliant

His determination is quite bad..
except that I don't really know, I mean your coaches looks brilliant

Guess that could have an influence... But still to actually DECREASE on the areas I've got him working hardest on seems a bit strange doesn't it? I could understand if it was the areas I've got him on light for.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Anyone got any other suggestions/ ideas guys? It's got me a bit confused tbh, I thought Sears was going to be one of my brightest prospects.

Happened to me before with Wilshere. But eventually his stats picked uop after another month of two so it might just be a bad patch

ok, I'll keep an eye on it. what's everyone's thoughts on the training schedule I've given him? Am I working the right areas? I think he's quick enough so if that never improves it's fine by me, it really is the finishing and composure I'm trying to up - If they could both get to 14/15 then he'll be in the first 11. You guys think it's acheiveable?

Yes, his determinate and work rate both aren't that great. These are the most important attributes in regard to a player's development. I would get someone to tutor him to try to raise those as much as possible while giving him first team football in cup games ect. this season and loan him out next season.

Yes, his determinate and work rate both aren't that great. These are the most important attributes in regard to a player's development. I would get someone to tutor him to try to raise those as much as possible while giving him first team football in cup games ect. this season and loan him out next season.

Yeah wanted to tutor him with Carlton Cole, but Sears name doesn't come up on available tutor list, Cole is important first team player and Sears is hot prospect so not sure why his name isn't on there.

Yeah wanted to tutor him with Carlton Cole, but Sears name doesn't come up on available tutor list, Cole is important first team player and Sears is hot prospect so not sure why his name isn't on there.
It is because Sears has only just joined West Ham at the start of the game. He will need time to settle in before he can be tutored. So just keep checking, and after a few months he should be able to be tutored.

He has been at West Ham since 2006, or does the AI of the game take the loan moves into account?

He has been at West Ham since 2006, or does the AI of the game take the loan moves into account?
My mistake. Yeah it may be because he was out on loan. So perhaps he has to settle in again? I'm not sure now why he can't be tutored... :S

Edit: Perhaps it could be his injury? Did you attempt to get him tutored before he picked that up?

Last edited:
He's recovered from his injury and still no one can tutor him... I think he's just a doomed player lol. In any case all my other youths are working out ok, Tomkins and Spence have turned into monsters (I've played half a season and Tomkins is already 3.5 stars and Spence 3)

Ok, just to give anyone that is interested an update on how Sears is getting on in training (and Hines), they're useless, they don't improve at all in the areas you want them to no matter how much game time and specialiased tutoring you give them. Half way through my second season, Sears has shown no signs of progress whatsoever in finishing and composure and Hines has shown no progress whatsoever in pace and acceleration.

Annyone else had a go at making these players decent? Been a waste of time for me so far (and literally the entire rest of the team has come on leaps and bounds except these two)