Help with 424 attacking Burnley tactic

seedeedubbs

Reaction score
Hi, I am a long serving member of the Football Manager community but have never been strong on the tactical side of the game (I tend to try for a few weeks and then give in and download one)!
This year I'm determined to stick with my own and have developed what appears to be a reasonable, albeit very attacking 4-2-4 tactic. I started off fantastically as you can see on the screenshot, but the last 3 games it feels like it has just fallen apart, including a traumatising 6-1 defeat against the old enemy!
What I am hoping for is for one of this sites tactical masters to have a quick look at mine and see if there is anything glaringly obvious as to why it wouldnt continue to work.
My thinking behind the tactic is quite simple and loosely based on watching the Clarets under the Ginger Miraculous one. Barton is the ballwinning midfielder, Jones the playmaker and its all about getting balls into the box for Vokesy from out wide to create for his partner, usually Andre Gray.
It seems crazy asking for help when i'm 4th but I can't help but think I'm very close to the wheels falling off.
My problem is that as soon as I begin to tinker I end up much worse than before and it isn't doing badly for me.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Many thanks

Tbh, that's not a reasonable tactic. That's a very attacking, desperate tactic. I'm surprised it has worked at all.

The idea seems to be to play at 100mph, clear the ball ASAP to the flanks and pump it into the box with pace. Is that right? That's if someone doesn't shoot at the first opportunity. It's a don't stop and think, but just do tactic.

For a start though, your wings (or two forwards) would need to swap because where they are now doesn't make sense. The AF/A drifts wide. That's exactly where your W/A wants to be. The W/A will be advanced and want to cross to a withdrawn TM/S, where he'd be far better off crossing to a withdrawn player at the near post or an advanced one at the far post.

WJ, many thanks for the advice, I was hoping you would comment! I appreciate the comments and will give it a try.
It is extremely attacking but it seems to be working okay for some reason and I picked up 7 points in the following 3 league games including 6-1 away at Wolves!
But as mentioned I am concerned it will implode eventually hence the request for advice. I like to hear from people who can explain why it doesn't/won't work, that way I can get moving in the right direction!
Any other advice would be appreciated.

Why did you see the need for Shoot On Sight and Clear Ball To Flanks?

my replies aren't working properly sorry

Last edited:
I'm just asking a question. I haven't seen the tactic. I'm just wondering why you selected the 2 instructions.

I was basing it on the idea that more shots equals more goals, obviously thats quite simplistic. I didnt really think of the two clashing but makes sense now you say

I was basing it on the idea that more shots equals more goals, obviously thats quite simplistic. I didnt really think of the two clashing but makes sense now you say
I didn't say they were clashing with anything.

More shots =/= more goals

BUT

More quality shots = more goals